Forum Member

Default Houston's 10 rules of survival

I subscribe to FireRescue.coms newsletter, and therewas an article titled
    "Houston Fire Departments 10 rules of survival" in the most recent newsletter.

Houston has had seven LODDs in nine years, and they have taken a long hard look at themselves. While some may view these rules in the "yeah, no duh" mode, keep in mind that we tend to forget these things when the adrenaline is rushing... and the smallest error can snowball into a bad situation within minutes.

The rules are:

Seat belt Use of Seat belts is mandatory any time the vehicle is in motion.

Speed Obey all traffic laws; obey all HFD policies; do not bust red lights or intersections; Non-emergency response is acceptable.

PPE Only HFD issued PPE; no extra layers for insulation; weakest part of PPE ensemble is the SCBA face piece.

Size-up Perform a 360; accurate arrival reports; use TIC for temperature reading prior to entry, communicate via radio.

Water before you go Goal to have an uninterrupted water supply before entry.

Low-Low-Low On entry; inside; on exit.

Ventilation Goal of first ladder is ventilation; release heat and smoke to benefit firefighters and survivable victims.

RIT RIT on every incident; in place ASAP.

Crew Integrity Not an option; critical to incident accountability; call Mayday early.

Communication Throughout incident; interior and exterior progress reports.
    Link to the atricle is here :
    http://www.firerescue1.com/firefight...l-after-LODDs/
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thumbs up

The article is good reading. I made a copy of the article, along with the "10 Rules", and distributed to all of my firefighters.

I agree with the "yeah, no duh" mode, but sometimes we get so "advanced" we also tend to forget about the basics. This may simple stuff, but the "salty dogs" need a reminder and the "young pups" need it instilled.

Tip o' the leather to HFD for looking at this and trying to do something.

Forum Member

Only thing I disagree with is the limitation to issues PPE. My dept is still issuing gloves that are NFPA 2000 edition, because they bought them in bulk. I would agree with "Non-issued PPE that meets or exceeds the certification of issued equipment will be considered". My hands are worth $75 for something better.

I know, get the safety committee involved and buy good gear for everyone-as if we didn't try that first.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand what you're saying, but the HFD command was coming from an angle of guys double hooding. HFD issues REED hoods which some argue are too protective to begin with. Some guys would slap on a triple layer sock hood under their reed hood which meant they couldn't feel any telltale signs of impending flashover.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Only thing I disagree with is the limitation to issues PPE. My dept is still issuing gloves that are NFPA 2000 edition, because they bought them in bulk. I would agree with "Non-issued PPE that meets or exceeds the certification of issued equipment will be considered". My hands are worth $75 for something better.

I know, get the safety committee involved and buy good gear for everyone-as if we didn't try that first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0012 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but the HFD command was coming from an angle of guys double hooding. HFD issues REED hoods which some argue are too protective to begin with. Some guys would slap on a triple layer sock hood under their reed hood which meant they couldn't feel any telltale signs of impending flashover.
    You can feel it. The mask is still the weak point. I don't double up, but it's not more protection than we have on our shoulders.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Rules are great.

It's following them that causes the problems.

Forum Member

Johnny can you tell us what the opinion of the rank and file is on these 10 rules of survival? Is this something put together just to make the higher ups feel better or is this really something that was needed.

Forum Member

We haven't seen them in final form, yet, but they seem pretty innocuous.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by txchf1 View Post
    Johnny can you tell us what the opinion of the rank and file is on these 10 rules of survival? Is this something put together just to make the higher ups feel better or is this really something that was needed.
    I bet Johnny can post a good youtube video explaining how they feel.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I know nothing of this youtube, and videos are anathema!

Thread Information