Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up The Mysteries Of Whiskey

(Ya like there's any "mystery" there? LOL )

Whisky was a mystery in Justerini's heyday

By Pam Freir, Times Colonist October 21, 2009

I'm quite partial to J&B Rare, but it was only recently that I took a good look at the label. Amazing!

I was looking at 260 years of Scotch whisky history, in my kitchen! Did you know the J stands for Justerini? Not a typical Highland name. Also, the address on the label is not beside a loch but on a smart London street a short walk from Buckingham Palace. And, most impressive, the label lists eight consecutive British monarchs, all naming J&B as a privileged supplier.

The story on the bottle started in 1749, when Giacomo Justerini arrived in London from his home city, Bologna. British versions of the tale say he was pursuing an opera singer, and when she broke his heart, he opened a wine and spirit shop to forget.

But I found a livelier account on an Italian website -- you might call it a blog from Bologna.

The Italian version says that the diva had written to Giacomo, asking him to join her in London. Far from being spurned, he found it necessary to set up in business in order to meet her expenses.

It happened that Giacomo's uncle manufactured fancy liqueurs called rossolis and had, wisely, slipped a recipe book into his nephew's pocket as a parting gift.

Giacomo's business thrived but his affair did not, and soon he returned to Italy, claiming homesickness.

We know for sure that the business was successful, because it received a Royal Warrant from George III in 1760 -- the year of Giacomo's departure.

So that's it for Justerini, a flying visit that ensured him immortality in the world of Scotch whisky, which may never have touched his lips.

There was a partner, George Johnson, who took over the store. He kept the name Justerini, perhaps reasoning that a wine importer would do better with a European name. George most likely also imported brandy, which was the spirit of choice for those who could afford it.

Gin was mothers' ruin, rum was for sailors and pirates, and whisky was a bit of a mystery, since the British government had been doing its best to destroy the Highland whisky trade for most of the 18th century.

However, George got hold of some of this rare northern brew and placed an advertisement for it in the Morning Post. That was in 1779, and was the first hint of J&B's future fame. But a lot had to happen before the world was fully ready for the delights of Scotch.

One was that the government needed to stop beating up on the Scots. In 1832 it did that. Hundreds of illegal stills closed down or turned legitimate, and the golden elixir began to flow south.

Another was that George Johnson's grandson sold the business to Alfred Brooks, a wealthy gentleman with good connections in London society. Justerini & Brooks was born, well capitalized for the big expansion ahead.

Another was the invention of a new kind of still that produced a lighter, clearer spirit and did it cheaply. Just what was needed for the emerging mass market.

Queen Victoria gave an unexpected boost to the growing popularity of Scotch. She and Prince Albert built themselves a dream castle in the highlands, Balmoral. It helped make Scotland respectable. And Victoria loved Scotch as much as she loved Scotland.

One of her favourite drinks was a glass of red wine with a shot of Scotch stirred in. It's said that on a royal picnic she commented on the fine pot of tea that had been prepared for her.

"Well it should be Ma'am," said the servant. "I put a grand nip o' whisky in it."

I have a fantasy that in memory of those days, every day around tea time, a delivery boy wobbles on his bicycle from the J&B store on St. James Street and across the park to Buckingham Palace, carrying a grand nip (or twa) of whisky for the reigning monarch's afternoon tea.

No mention of that on the label, though.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

I'd still rather have my Glenmorangie!

Wink

Make mine a Dahlwhinnie please!

A low flying Famous Grouse'll do in a pinch, though

Forum Member

Scotch is for sisies and shut-ins

Give me some good old Basil Hayden Bourbon!

Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Scotch is for sisies and shut-ins

Give me some good old Basil Hayden Bourbon!
    That's just another form of Jim Beam, something for mixing with Coke at college frat parties.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well...............

These Fine Gentlemen join me in remarking that most of you are Clueless about good Whiskey.

Jack Daniels
    Jim Beam
    Jeremiah Weed
    George Dickle

Mr. Jeremiah Weed makes some of the Smoothest, Most Mellow Whiskey out there. Look for it in a Dark Green Octagonal Bottle, in Fifths..... Real Whiskey is measured in Fifths, which is one fifth of a Gallon...... Liters, Meters, Skeeters, Peters, etc are some kind of goofy foreign measure that simply is ignored by those of us who truly give a damn about fine American Booze............

Almost forgot - Jeremiah Weed - Pour two fingers into a glass over ice, stir in a bit of Ginger Ale, and enjoy..... Goes down smooth and easy. After the 5th or 6th one of these, a Mule sneaks up and kicks you in the head, and you wake up tomorrow, Hurtin' a bit.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Almost forgot - Jeremiah Weed - Pour two fingers into a glass over ice, stir in a bit of Ginger Ale, and enjoy..... Goes down smooth and easy. After the 5th or 6th one of these, a Mule sneaks up and kicks you in the head, and you wake up tomorrow, Hurtin' a bit.........
    Is that why you have those big goggles on your helmet? To hide those bloodshot eyes and block out the bright sun when suffering a Jeremiah Weed induced hangover
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

ICE? Whiskey or Scotch and ice? Ice is something to be found outside, covering bodies of water like rivers, streams, lakes and ponds. NEVER to be co-located with whiskey or scotch.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Humph..........

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    ICE? Whiskey or Scotch and ice? Ice is something to be found outside, covering bodies of water like rivers, streams, lakes and ponds. NEVER to be co-located with whiskey or scotch.

Maybe in the Great Frozen North, but not here. Room Temps in Glenn Dale are in the 70s (F) year 'round. I have heard about you guys having Frost on the Windows in the Morning....... That is, on the INSIDE.........

Anything that is kept at room temperature here needs Ice. ......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Not whiskey related, but Harve, your comment brought back a baddddd memory LOL.

When I was working on the cruise ships, I had the month of July off and so did a friend. We decided to rent an apartment in Miami together. Unfortunately (for me) she got offered a transfer to a position on another cruise line as a translator and I ended up having to stay there by myself most of the month. It was horrible ... so friggin' hot I couldn't go out until 4 o'clock in the afternoon LOL. So one night I was sitting in this hot apartment, drinking Amaretto. There was NO ice

I had a pretty good buzz going LOL and was sitting there reading my book ... reached over to grab my glass of Amaretto and started to take a drink without looking .... AND THERE WAS A ROACH IN THE GLASS!!!! FREAKED ME OUT!!!

That's my "booze at room temperature in a hot climate" story. *shudders in remembrance*
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    These Fine Gentlemen join me in remarking that most of you are Clueless about good Whiskey.

Jack Daniels
    Jim Beam
    Jeremiah Weed
    George Dickle

Mr. Jeremiah Weed makes some of the Smoothest, Most Mellow Whiskey out there. Look for it in a Dark Green Octagonal Bottle, in Fifths..... Real Whiskey is measured in Fifths, which is one fifth of a Gallon...... Liters, Meters, Skeeters, Peters, etc are some kind of goofy foreign measure that simply is ignored by those of us who truly give a damn about fine American Booze............

I'm rather partial to my good friend Blacky and Red, although Greeny is pretty good too.

When my unit was deployed to Cyprus, 1988/89 a buddy and I got into a 60 pounder of Grand Marnier. Originally, we "mixed" it with ice...... till we ran out of mix. The next day was spent at Nissi Beach, chowing down on hamburgers the size of dinner plates and 1 litre bottles of Keo beer. The ocean scenery was pretty nice too. Of course for the six months I was there, I still prefer Efes to Keo, but you take what you can get some days, right.

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/efes-beer.html

http://www.thebackpacker.net/travel-...ks/cyprus/236/

Oh ya, and for those who have never been there, there are limited controls on the Turkish beer as far as quality control goes. It all tastes great, but sometimes the alcohol content between one box of beer, and even between bottles can vary slightly...........
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-24-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Banned

When my unit was deployed to Cyprus, 1988/89 a buddy and I got into a 60 pounder of Grand Marnier. Originally, we "mixed" it with ice...... till we ran out of mix. The next day was spent at Nissi Beach, chowing down on hamburgers the size of dinner plates and 1 litre bottles of Keo beer. The ocean scenery was pretty nice too. Of course for the six months I was there, I still prefer Efes to Keo, but you take what you can get some days, right.

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/efes-beer.html

http://www.thebackpacker.net/travel-...ks/cyprus/236/

Oh ya, and for those who have never been there, there are limited controls on the Turkish beer as far as quality control goes. It all tastes great, but sometimes the alcohol content between one box of beer, and even between bottles can vary slightly...........
    When I was stationed in Deutschland we came upon some stuff int he PX that was supposedly out of Rommels stash. It was in old green bottles and smooth. Thanksgiving day, 1977 (or maybe 1976) is an absolute blur because of that stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    That's just another form of Jim Beam, something for mixing with Coke at college frat parties.
    BLASPHFEMY!!!!!!

You'll surely burn in heck (be sure to bring a FIT-5)

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    When I was stationed in Deutschland we came upon some stuff int he PX that was supposedly out of Rommels stash. It was in old green bottles and smooth. Thanksgiving day, 1977 (or maybe 1976) is an absolute blur because of that stuff.
    Hallow'een and Christmas 1988 could fit into that "blur" category too....

Forum Member

You didn't turn him upside down and order him to "Spit it out!Spit it out!C'mon now!All of it!" ?

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Not whiskey related, but Harve, your comment brought back a baddddd memory LOL. .....

I had a pretty good buzz going LOL and was sitting there reading my book ... reached over to grab my glass of Amaretto and started to take a drink without looking .... AND THERE WAS A ROACH IN THE GLASS!!!! FREAKED ME OUT!!!

That's my "booze at room temperature in a hot climate" story. *shudders in remembrance*

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Nope ... maybe if it was Baileys LOL

Brings back another baddddd roach memory LOL ... on holiday from cruise ship on Grand Cayman. Landlady visiting one evening, big palmetto (huge honkin' roaches) a couple inches long was on the wall beside the kitchen table - she reaches over, cups the thing in her hand and throws it out the door.

ME ... EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK never in a phukin' million years. I probably would have tried to squash it with a shoe or newspaper but I can GUARANTEE ya, I would NOT have picked it up in my hand!!!!

I only have one other baddddd roach story so even though it isn't related I might as well tell it here and get it over with. While working on the Viking Princess (Crown Cruise Lines - not sure they exist anymore), a little one day cruise from West Palm Beach to the Bahamas & back, afternoons (when in port) were frequently spent napping.

So this entertainer chick whose cabin was in the same side corridor as mine, but at the other end woke up from her afternoon nap WITH A ROACH CRAWLING ACROSS THE BRIDGE OF HER NOSE!!!! That story kept us entertained and freaked out for days LOL.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

There's a reason that for a long time, I didnt eat dry cereal once the box had been opened:

When we were in Cyprus, if the box of cereal had been left from "yesterday" it was a 100% guaranteed bet that roaches would be doing the "back-stroke" in your milk/cereal.

Also, I've seen roaches that range from the size of a dime, to nearly as long as my finger or rougly 2 inches. You try and smash one of them puppies with a shoe or a hammer and you're doing some serious damage to everything EXCEPT the roach. I know my room mate and I tried.... didnt work out too well in our favour.

Forum Member

Tell your friends that boric acid powder and/or Roach-pruf(tm) works wonders for keeping creepy crawlies out of your room.Just line the edges of the bulkheads with the powder and the aforementioned creepy crawlies will skedaddle.Don't just run them out of your spaces and into those of your friends or you won't have them for long.

Back on topic:When I lived in Kentucky,I developed a big ol' taste for Jim Beam.It mixes well with quite a few things,including chili to add a wood smoke flavor to the taste.
    'Bout this time (October 20th or so)when I was driving a wheelchair bus for a taxi company in Kentucky,we'd have a convention of hairstylists at the local hotel.Friday and Saturday,they'd go party but Paducah is dry on Sunday.I'd take the tips they'd give me for driving them from the far reaches of the parking lot,buy airline bottles of various booze to resell on Sunday.(Statute of limitations exemption here)
    Those ladies were irked that they'd picked an area that shut off the drinking without telling them to buy extra on Saturday first but were VERY grateful when they found the free shuttle driver supplied to the hotel during the convention could accomodate them.

There's a reason that for a long time, I didnt eat dry cereal once the box had been opened:

When we were in Cyprus, if the box of cereal had been left from "yesterday" it was a 100% guaranteed bet that roaches would be doing the "back-stroke" in your milk/cereal.

Also, I've seen roaches that range from the size of a dime, to nearly as long as my finger or rougly 2 inches. You try and smash one of them puppies with a shoe or a hammer and you're doing some serious damage to everything EXCEPT the roach. I know my room mate and I tried.... didnt work out too well in our favour.

Forum Member

Talking

If you want to drink whiskey, drink whiskey. If you want to drink ginger ale then drink ginger ale. No need to mix them and ruin the taste of both. Just pour it in a glass then pour it in you. Simple!

Thread Information