Thread: Preplans

Forum Member

Default Preplans

My department does not do preplans and I'd like this to change. Does anyone have a sheet they fill out during a preplan? What kind of info do you gather about the building? I am thinking construction type, occupancy load, AFA and/or sprinklers, fire load, noted hazzards.....

Thanks for the help.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Much of our pre-plan form is driven by the requirement set forth by the state rating service. To get maximum credit for our preplans, we must incorporate thier requied information.

Ons suggestion I would make is to consult with ISO (if you are an ISO state) regarding the infromation they may require.

Forum Member

If you pick up a copy of NFPA 1620 and look in the appendices it has a recommended format for Pre-plans as well as a questionare worksheet that you can fill out while doing the walkthrough. It is a checklist of sorts that helps you get all of the information you need to put together a good pre-plan.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Ours contain:
    -Locations of Water, Gas, Electric Cutoffs, FDC's, Risers, Alarm Pannels and Knox Boxes
    -Name and phone number for contact outside of regular buisness hours
    -Special Hazards (Flammable Gas/Liquids etc)
    -3 Closest Hydrants and Status/Flow Rate
    -Any Exposure Concerns
    -Consturction Type
    -Roof Material
    -Sprinklered/Unsprinklered
    -Posted Occupancy
    - Miss. Comments by the member conducting inspection.

The second page is a computer generated drawing of the structure (overhead view) which shows some of the above information, all exterior doors and which way they open, stairs (interior and exterior), Elevators/Lifts, Fire Doors/Curtains, Ponds/Lakes near the building (secondary water supply if hydrant is down, also so we dont send anyone swimming), Measurements of long lays to give the company officer and FAO a heads up on lay-in and pump ops.

Each appratus had its own pre-plan book with these pages and we're currently working on uploading them into the MDT/MDC's on the appratus where they will include photos showing 360 of the building under normal conditions and the roof of the building. Sorry for the lengthy response, if you'd like to see some examples shoot me a PM and I'll get you some copies.

Forum Member

I would suggest you and the other members of your department decide what information you feel would be nice to have on a pre-plan and incorporate that information into what ever form you decide to use. Myself I want to know the required fire flow and whether or not I have that available. How many people and how many apparatus I will need to control the fire. Things like that in addition to building information.

sounds like u r already on the right track. the preplannihg firehick has posted is a great list of things tp look for. however preplanning can b as simple as getting out in ur territory amd looking for things when u go on medical calls or to the store. everytime u get back from being out write down the things u found in a binder amd add to them as u can easy things to look for while ur just out and about r hydrant locations fdc locations special hazards or exits u notice any info u can get will eventually be very helpful and other people will eventually follow ur lead and start doing thier own preplanning as well

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by JWarrenFFEMT View Post
    sounds like u r already on the right track. the preplannihg firehick has posted is a great list of things tp look for. however preplanning can b as simple as getting out in ur territory amd looking for things when u go on medical calls or to the store. everytime u get back from being out write down the things u found in a binder amd add to them as u can easy things to look for while ur just out and about r hydrant locations fdc locations special hazards or exits u notice any info u can get will eventually be very helpful and other people will eventually follow ur lead and start doing thier own preplanning as well
    For the love of God, please stop....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JWarrenFFEMT View Post
    This is not AOL Instant Messanger or text messages. Type where we can read it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

In our town of a little less than 10k we just recently did some preplanning with some of the business and industries around town. First we sent a letter to the business and asked that they provide a small blue print of some type to the department that shows the basic layout of the building. Then we went to the location did a walk around the outside making note of hydrant locations, FDC, gas lines, electrical lines and meters, building construction, roof construction, etc. Then in the inside we noted window locations, sprinklers, hazard spaces(were a firefighter could get in a bind), interior construction, false cielings, etc. While we were there, we also made some recommendations to the owner about extinguishers, exits, and other fire hazards. We also took pictures inside and out of the building.
    It was an eye opening experience. We found in several of the lawyer offices downtown that the offices are in old brick buildings on the first floor, but on the second floor is where they keep all the old papers and documents.(serious fire load) Also in some of the old downtown buildings they have an old elevator shaft going to a basement that has all been covered up.(some of the "old timers" said they vagely remember those buildings having a basement.
    After everything was finished, we made a notebook with all this info and put in the lead engine as well as the command vehicle and a hard copy at the station. We also made electronic copies of everything.
    Not sure if it was per NFPA, but it was sure helpful as well as good PR.
    Last edited by onlocation; 10-22-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    My department does not do preplans and I'd like this to change. Does anyone have a sheet they fill out during a preplan? What kind of info do you gather about the building? I am thinking construction type, occupancy load, AFA and/or sprinklers, fire load, noted hazzards.....

Thanks for the help.
    you will gain a considerable amount of points for your ISO by having "up to date" plans. In a recent ISO preperation we found a lot of ours were over 20 yrs old, vehicles and overall tactics had changed.

material that others have posted is great. here are a few more to add
    - distance from preplan set up to hydrants used.
    - water line map to ensure you aren't hooking up to the same main on two consecutive engines, expecting a flow of 2000Gal when because you are stealing from the first hook you can only get 1200. Our BC's main thing on a downtown fire is coordinating hydrant usage in the event of mutiple alarms and mutual aid
    Last edited by LT2387; 10-22-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added material

Forum Member

a current list of contacts and phone numbers is also a big help.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help. I'm just a grunt, so I had no idea ISO gave credits for this. One more reason to get out and do it.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I'm just a grunt, so I had no idea ISO gave credits for this. One more reason to get out and do it.
    It actually meant more points than us checking our hydrants twice a year.

Thread Information