MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Adding to the trainning ground, Need Help!

At this time, we have a 2 story Burn Building, 18' by 16' which has one burn room on the first floor. We are in the process of putting in a outside LP line to use with props and concreting the entire area. What I need help with, is locating either used/new steel shipping containers to add to the existing building. We would like to add two 40', one stack on top of the other with a 20' box on the top. With some modifications it will give us a second burn room on the 1st floor, a burn room on the 2nd floor and 3rd story roof to repel off of and use for practice with an ladder truck.

We have spoken the company (Fire Facilities Inc.) that we purchased the first building from and requested a quote on just a one story addition, that is 24' by 16', the price tag for the materials only was @ $46,000.00. The existing building came with a $70,000.00 price tag. So with a limited budget, we are looking to get most bang for our buck. New shipping containers cost @ $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 a piece (according to the internet). I need some help locating some containers close by, say at or around 250 to 500 miles away, to keep down on shipping cost. Any help that you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Stay Safe
    Bull
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by BULL321; 10-21-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

I like milk...

Personally I would call up a local shipping company and tell them who you are and what your doing. See if they are willing to sell you an old one or help you find a new one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your response. Now its time to let my fingers do the walking.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Hey Bull??.............

Try the Norfolk Southern and CSX Railroads....... I'll look around and see if I can get a Name/Number at either/both for you......

(10 minutes later).... Norfolk Southern Corp. Manager of Intermodal in NC & SC: Steve Sadoti in Charlotte 404-962-5814 or Steve.Sadoti@NSCorp.Com

And look at www.CSXI.com ............. Let us know how it goes......
    Last edited by hwoods; 10-24-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Try the Norfolk Southern and CSX Railroads....... I'll look around and see if I can get a Name/Number at either/both for you......

(10 minutes later).... Norfolk Southern Corp. Manager of Intermodal in NC & SC: Steve Sadoti in Charlotte 404-962-5814 or Steve.Sadoti@NSCorp.Com

And look at www.CSXI.com ............. Let us know how it goes......
    Thanks Brother

Stay Safe
    Bull

P.S.
    I'm back out front
    Last edited by BULL321; 10-24-2009 at 09:48 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Bull,

Someone on these forums tipped me off to looking for surplus vehicles from DoD and my state forester... While talking to the forestry folks, they said they come across shipping containers once in a while. We are planning to do the same thing that you are. Our forester is looking for 4 containers for us. The only problem now is that we are waiting to hear back from them. He told me that it may take a month or two to find them, but for us it's worth the wait since we don't have a ton of money to purchase them. If you think you can wait a little while, it may be worth it to wait too... then all you have to pay is shipping.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default storage containers

Bull, Try the Asheville area there are several companies that have some available. There is also a guy in Waynesville that had some, I'm not sure if he still does.He gave the squad in the county a pretty good deal on one. I just can't find his number. I'll keep looking and see what I can figure out. bf1511

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks bf1511 and volff1170 for your input and ideas, We are in the process of Following up on these new leads and some others. Hopefully we will be able to acquire the storage units in the near future.

Thanks again
    Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Default I sell containers

Hi!

I don't know if you already found a container yet, but I sell them all over the country. If you're still in the market, give me a call! 877-374-5452 or julia@supercubes.com

Julia
    Super Cubes LLC

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks I'll drop you a line

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we got the concert poured at the training ground. It's took some time but money don't grow on trees. Once we receive the final bill for the pour, were going to order the containers for the add on. That being said I thought that I would post some new pictures of what we've got done so far for you all to see.
    Last edited by BULL321; 06-01-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

We just added a "vent prop" to our training facility. Essentially a pole building with no sides (although we are adding some at the corners to enhance stability), the roof is set up so we can place substitute sections in the roof for practice various methods of cutting vent holes. It's also high enough so it has to be laddered, and will serve as a source of shade and shelter as needed - handy for a staging area for outside evolutions.

You might be able to scrounge most of the materials from local sources.

I think both sides of ours are shingles, but it wouldn't be hard to do one side in shingles and one with metal roofing if you so desired. I also think the pitch is the same on both sides, something else you could do differently.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Wow...........

Bull - Lookin' Good Bro. BTW, you ever find anyone at CSX or NS Railroads??.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We are looking into adding a residential vent prop after finishing the additon to the burn building. Sounds like you guys have a nice set up.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Bull - Lookin' Good Bro. BTW, you ever find anyone at CSX or NS Railroads??.....
    We tired to get make contact with the guys at NS, but they never called us back. After making several attempts and getting passed around we decided to go with Julia from Super Cubes LLC. We are also waiting to hear back from the State's Law Enforcement Support Services who might have some 20' containers for free. Since the Sheriff's office uses the building for SETT team training from time to time, it allows us to pull from those resources also.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

We also use some connex's (shipping containers) that we saw advertised along side the road and then found out that a local dirt company sold them as well. If nothing else, ask some truckers you know. They may get you some good contacts.

If you are looking at a vent roof prop give ours a look (www.kvfd.net). It has a flat roof as well as a sloped roof that utilize drop in sacrificial panels. Couple things that I would recommend changing but overall it's a good prop.

Good luck,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    We also use some connex's (shipping containers) that we saw advertised along side the road and then found out that a local dirt company sold them as well. If nothing else, ask some truckers you know. They may get you some good contacts.

If you are looking at a vent roof prop give ours a look (www.kvfd.net). It has a flat roof as well as a sloped roof that utilize drop in sacrificial panels. Couple things that I would recommend changing but overall it's a good prop.

Good luck,
    Walt
    Brother, Now that's a nice training ground. Could you send me the specs on the roof prop and the vehicle fire prop?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I'll see what I can do. If you haven't heard from me in a couple weeks give me a yell (I'm on vacation right now).

Both are pretty simple but effective. If you do the Facebook thing the department has a site (kearney firefighters I believe). It has about 75 pictures of the training grounds that is a little more up to date than the website.

Keep in mind that there was nothing there but some abandoned buildings when they started in 1994. First they built the tower, then the classroom, some concrete, the draft pit, vent roof and just tried to improve it every year. Maybe not a new building but something. We consider it a work in progress.

If you, or anyone, is passing through Kearney give us a call and we'll gladly show you the training grounds, and our stations, if you want.

Thanks for the compliment.
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Hope your projects is working out!
    I am wondering about the water reservoir seen in the pictures.
    Is that to control runoff from training, or is it a reservoir that just happens to be near your site?
    Do you have any issues with contamination from runoff?
    Our state facility had to build a massive containment pond to control runoff issues, wondering if you have the same problem.

Thanks, and good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default C

The containers are in the prep work is done, and with a little bit of luck, the crane will be here this week.

P.S. Thanks to Mickey and the JCRS for their help.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Awrite!!.......

Lookin' Better all the time.........

PM Coming your way.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Harve. By the way the crane will be here Thursday morning to set the containers.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Uh Oh.......

Sorry, but I can't make it.............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

No worries we got them set today without any problems. I also had the the Sheriff's Office inmate work crew up to take care of some yard work. All in all it has been a good day.

P.S. Thanks to Western Builders for the use of their crane.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Still have a lot of work to do on the inside, but today was a great start.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information