Default Need Help: Aerialscope rotation issues

We have an 75' Aerialscope Ex-FDNY. From the turntable we can fully operate the tower (Left, Right, In, Out, Up, Down) From the bucket we can only operate (In, Out, Up, Down). Any ideas on where to start looking or what the issue might be. ANy help or guidence to a resource would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Forum Member

call a mechanic who works on aerialscopes

Forum Member

I agree with nameless, you need to contact a fire service mechanic who is familiar with the operation of Aerialscopes. The controls on an aerial device are not something for the unfamiliar to tamper with. Additionally if you have not already done so, I would immediately place the whole unit out of service until you have corrected the problem. Where are you located?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Basics

I would start with the basics. Check the wireing makesure nothing has broke/coroded off. Depends on how the switches are set up. The switch could have gone bad.

Other than that sort of basic thing I am in agreement call a mechanic that knows about the rig.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MColley View Post
    I would start with the basics. Check the wireing makesure nothing has broke/coroded off. Depends on how the switches are set up. The switch could have gone bad.

Other than that sort of basic thing I am in agreement call a mechanic that knows about the rig.

I would leave it be and call for a certified aerialscope mechanic and let them fix the problem.

Too many fiiremen who think they know what is wrong or what is best messing up more than what it was in the first place. If it isn't your trade, call someone whos trade it is!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Very True

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I would leave it be and call for a certified aerialscope mechanic and let them fix the problem.

Too many fiiremen who think they know what is wrong or what is best messing up more than what it was in the first place. If it isn't your trade, call someone whos trade it is!
    This is very true however it doesn't hurt to have a quick look. Don't fiddle with it unless it obvious something is wrong. Depending on the department size and funding it may not be extremly cost effective or even possible to have someone come in who specializes in it.

Specialized mechaics aren't cheap esspecially if they have to come to you. If you can even narrow down the problem a little to say "this is what we think is wrong" then it can prove to be more cost effective.

But I do agree, people can fiddle with things they do not know about and bugger them up worse. So if you do look don't touch unless you really know what you are doing. But you may be able to pop a cover and see a wire broke then call the mechanic and tell them what you have, what you think the problem is and see what they say. They may say yup thats the problem just hook it back up and try it. Checking in with them via a phone call costs peanuts compared to a service call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

+1 the liability alone on this is one you dont want to mess with

Forum Member

In the bucket take the cover off the joy stick and look at the linkages that connect the joy stick to the 3 "Moog" switches. One of the linkages may have come off or the mounting screws fell out of the switch and its just flopping around.
    Good Luck,
    Lou

Thread Information