Thread: CAFS Settings

Forum Member

Default CAFS Settings

How many GPMS do you flow on your 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 CAFS lines. Has any one used a deckgun or portable ground monitor with CAFS?

Forum Member

Hi jandrewsmith,

We run our CAFS attack lines at a 2:1 ratio. (gpm to cfm).

On an 1 3/4" we are flowing around 90-100gpm with 45-50cfm of air at 100psi main pump discharge pressure. This is with a 15/16" straight bore nozzle.

On our 2 1/2" line we are flowing around 160-180gpm with 80-90cfm of air at 100psi main pump discharge pressure. This with a 1 3/8" straight bore nozzle.

Yes we have used and do use a deck gun, ground monitor, "blitz" line and flowed it from our ariel truck.

Hope this helps.

Be safe,

Captain Lou
    "Got Foam?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Only had our Waterous CAFS in service since Apr so we're not claiming to be experts yet. Hale 1000gpm QFlo midship, 140cfm PTO compressor w/Advantus foam pump, Elkhard ICS CAFS controls, M2-112 w/CAT C13, 3000/20 gal.

We have a Sidewinder on right side front bumper with controls in the cab. Sidewinder works great on CAFS. It has Elkhart CAFS tube, switch to adj nozzle for H20.

Left side front bumper 2-1/2" discharge also is CAFS. Controls on pump panel. Have operated in drill a Akron Mercury monitor with stacked tips, worked great.

We can remove our Sidewinder and install adapter for an additional 2-1/2" CAFS discharge.

Recent drill ran both these 2-1/2" CAFS discharges to clappered wye (2ea 2-1/2" x 4") supplying a 100' stick (1250gpm Akron Monitor w/stacked tips). Direct to the waterway, NOT thru the pump on the aerial. Worked great at max elevation and full extension.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post

Recent drill ran both these 2-1/2" CAFS discharges to clappered wye (2ea 2-1/2" x 4") supplying a 100' stick (1250gpm Akron Monitor w/stacked tips). Direct to the waterway, NOT thru the pump on the aerial. Worked great at max elevation and full extension.

I like the way you think. Great "outside the box" solution.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It All about the Bubbles!!!!

Here in Texas we use the 2:1 ratio also. I found that it is the norm. Here @ our dept we use 95 to 125 Gpm for our standard 1 3/4" handlines with a 1 inch smooth tip,it is up to the company officer. Our settings are preset in our Automatic throttlle @ 90PSi which gives us 100 gpm : 50 CFMs.

We use 2 inch lines with 1 3/8 smooth bores for commerical lines aswell as Blitz lines with 3 inch lines with great effects.

We have also pumped 100 ft straight sticks with them aswell with great effect.

Captain five

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi jandrewsmith
    We are Running a Little Different up north as Lou Knows
    We run our Systems at a 3-1 flow instead of a 2-1
    On 13/4 with 11/8 tips we start at about 130 Gpm 45 Scfm a Little more if the Nozzle man puts the tip in his pocket.
    On the 21/2 with 13/8 Tip we Flow 240 Gpm and 80 Scfm
    With a Blitz Fire with a single 21/2 we get about the 240 Gpm
    We Have forward extended over 800' of 21/2" on a Fire with no appreciable loss of Flow.
    Have also tried 2 - 21/2 wyed to 1000' of 4" and had very close to the normal flow rate.

Forum Member

Lou is spot on with the ratios, and if it's the Lou I I think it is I know why, LOL.

Flowing CAFS is not a substitute for a proper fire flow, so you should flow the same volume you would be shooting for if you weren't operating with a CAFS. If fire conditions dictate a flow of 95-100 GPM, then that's what your water flow rate should be.

Air flow rate should be adjusted to maintain a proper ratio of water flow to air flow. As has already been noted in this thread, between a 2:1 and 3:1 water to air ratio is going to make an effective wet foam for fire attack.
    Just a guy...

Lieutenant - Woodbury, MN FD (Retired)
    Road Captain - Red Knights MC, MN4

Disclaimer: The facts and opinions expressed above are mine, and mine alone, and are not intended to represent the views of any company I have ever worked for, past or present.

Thread Information