Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Default SCBA is the cab??

What departments keep their scba in a compartment and not in the seats in the cab? I have seen a few departments with this and I do not see why they have it like that? Who does this? My dept has the packs in the seats and we step off the rig with our scba on our backs and tools in our hands.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

it is mostly older pumpers that don't have the racks built into the seats.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our mutual aid company can't have a full cab because the trucks wouldn't fit in the station so they only have 2-3 person cabs. It would be impossible to put a pack on in such close quarters. If a truck has a full 6-8 person cab though I would hope the packs are built in the seats.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most two door commercial cabs do not have SCBA seats because of room in the cab. There is a school of thought that has gone around about the SCBA in the cab and the removal of them to the compartment. The reasoning for this is that if the SCBA is not in the cab then the firefighter will not be putting it on while going down the road and therefore be wearing their seatbelt. Another reason for going to the compartment with the SCBA is if the truck is in a wreck there would be less stuff in the cab to come lose and possibly hurt someone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    it is mostly older pumpers that don't have the racks built into the seats.
    How old are you talking? I know of a 74 ALF that has SCBA seats on it.

Forum Member

There is a school of thought that has gone around about the SCBA in the cab and the removal of them to the compartment. The reasoning for this is that if the SCBA is not in the cab then the firefighter will not be putting it on while going down the road and therefore be wearing their seatbelt

Not a bad school to attend.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    There is a school of thought that has gone around about the SCBA in the cab and the removal of them to the compartment. The reasoning for this is that if the SCBA is not in the cab then the firefighter will not be putting it on while going down the road and therefore be wearing their seatbelt

Not a bad school to attend.
    Do you really want to go there?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Why is there a problem with wearing your seatbelt in the cab?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgfd65 View Post
    Why is there a problem with wearing your seatbelt in the cab?
    No, not at all. I think all FD's should mandate it and enforce it. You haven't been around here long enough to know what I am talking about. Now go get back in the kitchen and finish the dishes, Proby.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

My volly department has a 2007 E-One on a Freightliner chassis without SCBA in the seat. As mentioned above, no room in a two door cab.

For the record, if you cant put on your SCBA while wearing a seatbelt, then you dont hold the mental capacity to be a firefighter in the first place and should fine another profession.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

QUOTE=rm1524;1106169]Most two door commercial cabs do not have SCBA seats because of room in the cab. There is a school of thought that has gone around about the SCBA in the cab and the removal of them to the compartment. The reasoning for this is that if the SCBA is not in the cab then the firefighter will not be putting it on while going down the road and therefore be wearing their seatbelt.

I pack up going down the road wearing my seat belt going to every fire. No problems here.

Another reason for going to the compartment with the SCBA is if the truck is in a wreck there would be less stuff in the cab to come lose and possibly hurt someone.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure how the SCBA would be able to come loose, at least in our trucks, as there is one way and only one that the bottle will come out of the holder, so I do believe that was designed into the SCBA seat to prevent this from happening, except for a far off case. Expecially with all of the NFPA reqs on all of our apparatus, equipment, and underwear.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Forum Member

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    For the record, if you cant put on your SCBA while wearing a seatbelt, then you dont hold the mental capacity to be a firefighter in the first place and should fine another profession.
    DITTO!

Enough said.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

MembersZone Subscriber

The man asked a question and I gave him an answer to the question that I had heard being discussed in another place and the pros and cons of it. I think the idea is stupid.

I agree that you can put a pack on going down the road with your seatbelt on, I do it all the time and we also have brackets and straps to hold our packs in place.

Forum Member

It's been discussed before. I leave it at that unless someone else brings it up.

Forum Member

Since you asked: YES, you can be seatbelted and be packing up IN TRANSIT. If you're wondering how this is possible ONCE AGAIN you're showing your complete inability to grasp firefighting at it's most BASIC level. It's VERY easy to do and as the others state,you step out of the cab ready to work.NOW do YOU really want to go down this road again? Putting the packs in the seats in proper holders makes HUGE amounts of sense both tactically AND in giving more compartment space for other important tools.INDISPUTABLE FACT. Now how do YOU do it? T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-22-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Since you asked: YES, you can be seatbelted and be packing up IN TRANSIT. If you're wondering how this is possible ONCE AGAIN you're showing your complete inability to grasp firefighting at it's most BASIC level. It's VERY easy to do and as the others state,you step out of the cab ready to work.NOW do YOU really want to go down this road again? Putting the packs in the seats in proper holders makes HUGE amounts odf sense both tactically AND in giving more compartment space for other important tools.INDISPUTABLE FACT. Now how do YOU do it? T.C.
    He doesn't... the sad part is he is "training" others with his "vast knowldege" of nothing!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Pheonix FD is probably the biggest not having SCBA in their cabs from what I read in a article some time back if memory serves me. Ask them their reason. As a CO with nearly 23 yrs I set the example and belt up, question is do my guys? I had one say the scba unit is strapped in, why do I have to belt up?

Forum Member

Our drivers SCBA is in a compartment. We also have 2 fold down seats in the cab of our older engine that have SCBA's in compartments for those 2 persons.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

In the custom cab engine and heavy rescue, all seats, except driver, have SCBA. Members are expected to pack up in transit.

They also have 2 extra compartment mounted for volunteers who are arriving POV.

Commercial cabs have 4 mounted in compartments.

Service trucks have 2 mounted in compartment and 4 stowed in cases. The 4 stowed in cases are there for rating purposes.

I don't think one can argue that not packing up enroute is safer.

I'm not going to get into the discussion about any tactical benefits.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-22-2009 at 01:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like GTRider245 posted above, we mount our packs in a compartment of the truck in our commercial cab trucks and they are mounted up front in our two custom cab trucks.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

one of the reasons departments are moving SCBA packs out of the cab even if they fit is while the guys are packing up the officer can do a 360 and give a full complete size up while not being rushed. Phoenix is one of the leading fire departments moving packs out of the cab into side compartments for this reason.

Forum Member

one of the reasons departments are moving SCBA packs out of the cab even if they fit is while the guys are packing up the officer can do a 360 and give a full complete size up while not being rushed.
    Please tell me there is a better reason to delay entry into a building, to possibly save a life, than to stand around waiting for an officer to do a full 360.

Unless, of course, you only deal with very small buildings.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by spike083189 View Post
    one of the reasons departments are moving SCBA packs out of the cab even if they fit is while the guys are packing up the officer can do a 360 and give a full complete size up while not being rushed. Phoenix is one of the leading fire departments moving packs out of the cab into side compartments for this reason.
    So when does this officer pack up? I think you'll find that Phoenix like many others cannot get guys to wear seatbelts in the cab or they're not using them while donning the pack which is completely a disciplinary issue, not mechanical issue.

As one well respected fire service apparatus author points out: "Dollar for dollar compartment space is some of the most expensive real estate in the world." Why waste the space by putting SCBA there when the seats are much more efficient?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    So when does this officer pack up? I think you'll find that Phoenix like many others cannot get guys to wear seatbelts in the cab or they're not using them while donning the pack which is completely a disciplinary issue, not mechanical issue.

As one well respected fire service apparatus author points out: "Dollar for dollar compartment space is some of the most expensive real estate in the world." Why waste the space by putting SCBA there when the seats are much more efficient?
    In my dept there is a SOG that does not alow for me as an officer to don a scba while the vehicle is in motion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LT2387 View Post
    In my dept there is a SOG that does not alow for me as an officer to don a scba while the vehicle is in motion.
    Can the crew pack up while the vehicle in motion? If they can, then why the difference? Do you not go in with your crew or do they wait for you to join them?

Thread Information