MembersZone Subscriber

Default Surface ice rescue

So seeing a post about a class on surface ice rescue inspired me to look up any of the classes content on YouTube.
    I have some questions about what I saw. In the LGS video a rescuer approaches a victim head on, dismounts a rescue board and while still on the ice it looks like he coaches him on the rescue board. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgPs...eature=related
    First, why approach from the front, if the ice is weak and it breaks doesn't the victim loose his lifeline? Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht has identified that a person has less then 10 minutes to perform any physical tasks until the cold prevents fine motor skills, I work in a suburban setting and the odds are, by the time I get to them, the victim will not be able to help me rescue them. lastly the rescue board looks like just another piece of equipment to complicate and slow the operation.
    In full disclosure, I was trained in Surface Ice Rescue by an instructor from Dive Rescue International, and have recently attended the instructor trainer class from DRI to instruct members of my own department.
    I have also performed several actual ice rescues successfully.
    I think we can have an informed and educational discussion on this.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't use a rescue board either, and while our sister dept with another ice team has one on the truck, experience has shown it to be of little real use aside from prehaps the approach and return trip. I don't see a big issue if that is the way you want to do it, as long as you are prepared to go right in if the pt can't help themselves.

The quickest method in our experience still involves the rescuer getting wet, positioning behind the victim, and allowing the team on shore to help with the big pull up onto the shelf.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sure I understand what the issue you are presenting is?

If you use this device, the way they present it to be deployed is the way thats shown in the video; I dont know how else you'd do it.

I'm personally not a fan of these devices, but they are just another tool, I suppose.

What does DRI Teach?

We (at our county training center) teach several methods that are based on the victim(s) condition. They include but ae not limited to; coaching, reach pole, ladder, backboard, contact-non entry rescue, contact-entry rescue and ice board. They all involve approaching from the front in most cases, as its most likely the fastest way to get there. In addition we stress and believe that in many cases, you will expierence ice failure as you attempt to remove the victim for at least some period, even though in training its rare (we typically have unrealistically thick ice fir "rescue" purposes). In some instances, we expect and explain that you will never even get up onto ice during the rescue, rather you will simply be acting as an ice breaker boat all the way back in.

MembersZone Subscriber

The procedure taught in classes from Dive Rescue is to get behind the victim, wrap him with a line attached to you, and when the signal is given the other rescuers pull the victim and you out. You as the rescuer helps the person onto the ice and folow him up. I feel you always have control of the victim, you don't risk pushing the victim off the ice shelf or breaking it away.
    The reason I posted is the flyer for the Lifeguard systems class (to me) was very negative, their are many ways to do a specific rescue, some are better then others. To slam another agency right on a school notification to me is a bit much.
    I would like some reasons why their way is so much better. I have seen people ask Butch and Andrea on other simmilar topics and never got an answer other then "this is the way to do it" I'm willing to learn, so if anyone out there has some justification for another technique please share it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    The procedure taught in classes from Dive Rescue is to get behind the victim, wrap him with a line attached to you, and when the signal is given the other rescuers pull the victim and you out. You as the rescuer helps the person onto the ice and folow him up. I feel you always have control of the victim, you don't risk pushing the victim off the ice shelf or breaking it away.
    The reason I posted is the flyer for the Lifeguard systems class (to me) was very negative, their are many ways to do a specific rescue, some are better then others. To slam another agency right on a school notification to me is a bit much.
    I would like some reasons why their way is so much better. I have seen people ask Butch and Andrea on other simmilar topics and never got an answer other then "this is the way to do it" I'm willing to learn, so if anyone out there has some justification for another technique please share it.
    We also teach to come behind the victim, "if" we are entering the water, otherwise its approach from front, sling them and signal for retrieval. Our out of water rescue involves laying on the ice facing the victim and passing a noodle or cinch strap across your arm and under their arms (using the hold hand pass through style technique) then signalling the retrieval.

MembersZone Subscriber

what keeps positive control of the victim? Does this require the victim to assist with his rescue?
    Any pictures?

Thread Information