Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default how long as every1 been waiting for a job??

jsut wanted to see peoples responses...

- its been just about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs for me...just became a medic so hope it helps.

how about every1 else?

took me from 2000, until spring of 2007 until I was finally hired by Division of Forestry
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Forum Member

graduated fire school may 2008 passed became emt certified in november of 2008 so it will be about a year

Took me 11 months from my date of graduation to first date of hire.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Graduated fire school in 04/09 and got hired with Hardee County FD 09/09.
    Last edited by n8dgstylee; 10-23-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IvanDRios View Post
    graduated fire school may 2008 passed became emt certified in november of 2008 so it will be about a year
    Graduated same class as Ivan.

Greg

It took me 15 months after graduating from the Fire Academy (Graduated in February '07 and hired May '08).

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got fire certified in Aug09, so i've only been in the wait for a couple months now.

Took me 10-11 months to land a job after being completely certified.

Felt like 20 years.

I applied and checked local listings every single morning. Sometimes twice daily.

Forum Member

patience is a virtue in this field!

im looking into going to paramedic school next year

i hoping to get a job then go to paramedic school but no luck in that department

whats everyone doing to study and refresh their skills as they wait?

Forum Member

took about 5 months but of course it seemed like forever and ever. I don't see how rangerjake didn't go insane, unless he was looking for a dept that doesn't do ems.
    as far as keeping up skills (or to put it a better way, learning how to really do the job if you never have before) I highly recommend working on an ambulance in an ALS system if that's an option for you. ambulance services, ER's, volunteer ff are some good ways to become a good emt. firefighting is pretty basic...wet stuff on the red stuff ;) hands on experience and talking with experienced ff's is of course what's really needed, so that may be a while in coming, even after you're hired.

Forum Member

It has been over a year for me. I know two other guys in my same situation that decided to go into nursing school. Many are just giving up hope and going into other facets of medical field.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    took about 5 months but of course it seemed like forever and ever. I don't see how rangerjake didn't go insane, unless he was looking for a dept that doesn't do ems.
    as far as keeping up skills (or to put it a better way, learning how to really do the job if you never have before) I highly recommend working on an ambulance in an ALS system if that's an option for you. ambulance services, ER's, volunteer ff are some good ways to become a good emt. firefighting is pretty basic...wet stuff on the red stuff hands on experience and talking with experienced ff's is of course what's really needed, so that may be a while in coming, even after you're hired.

thanks for the advice
    i signed up for Polk County Volly Dept. so hopefully that will give me some good experience while i wait

Forum Member

Got a job with an ER right after EMT school and worked there during fire school. After fire school, I became a volunteer FF and got to go on calls. Graduated fire school in 12/08, Got a FF/EMT job 8/09.

I am only 20 years old.

It just takes patience, luck, and knowing what you're doing in making yourself an ideal candidate. There's always something you can do to improve your "marketability" as a candidate. Whether that be going to more fire classes, working out, studying interview tips, or whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by flashpo1nt; 10-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Got my EMT-B in 2004, but didn't start activly applying until 2005-06... so 3-4 years and counting...

Wow, that's depressing...

reebok, a lot of that was i didnt have Florida certs (mass and they wouldnt allow challenge), I did have my EMT down here, but it lapsed due to no use, Forestry doesnt do EMS or rescue (except for 1 station down in Monroe County) while i didnt mind EMS, I was happy to get a job doing some kind of firefighting, and they put me through their own fire academy (wildland fire, firefighter 1 & first responder) the turnover is low for us, and we only have some 568 fire positions throughout the state
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Thread Information