Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Piston Intake Repairs

Does anyone know of a shop that repairs piston intake valves around the Houston area? We have two that leak and are out of service and at $1k+ for a new one, I'd like to see what it would cost to repair these.

TIA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy68 View Post
    Does anyone know of a shop that repairs piston intake valves around the Houston area? We have two that leak and are out of service and at $1k+ for a new one, I'd like to see what it would cost to repair these.

TIA
    Usually the manufacturer or someone designated by them does that. Harrington, Inc. in Erie, Pa. does lots of them. They turn them around pretty quickly. But it's not cheap. Give them a call. I don't have their 800 number in front of me, but you can get it from their web site.

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but here in the east there have been three known failures of portable hydrants or water thieves in the last year. It has been documented that in at least one of them, the relief valve was frozen shut and would not operate. They cannot say absolutely that an unrelieved sudden pressure surge was the cause of the failure, but it has to be considered.

I mention this because your piston intake valve is very likely made of the same material and manufacturing method in addition to having the same or very similar relief valve. So having your valve properly serviced is worth doing. And test the relief valves in all of your LDH devices regularly.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Default Piston INtake Valves

We use Akron valves and when they develop a problem they go back to Akron. We have over 60 engines x2 per engine so we use lots of them. Not sure of the cost, but we do lots of business with AB. Love their nozzles.

Thread Information