MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bullard TiX problem

Our Bullard TIx thermal camera, bought in 2003, has developed a problem. A circle, with a dot in the center, is visible when the unit is off. When turned on the image displayed is okay, but when viewed at an angle, even a slight angle, the screen has a solid white circle in the center of the image.

Has anyone had this problem, or even know what is causing it.

The camera has not been abused, and actually has not had many hours of use.
    Last edited by AC1503; 10-22-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

I just fire up the TIx and it has gotten worse since last week. The screen image is visible, but now very foggy & weak. The solid white circle is the same as before. It seems to be failing rapidly.

Forum Member

Have........you........contacted.........your..... ....Bullard.........Dealer..........to.........ask .........advice.........or........ask.........how. ........to.........send.........the........camera. .......to.........Kentucky..........for..........e valuation?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but, that would be my first call, not a post on an internet forum.
    You can call Bullard, they will ask you a set of questions over the phone, and based upon what you tell them can pretty accurately assign your problem into their multiple tiered repair schedule and give you an idea of what it will cost to repair.
    Pray for a low number, a T3 tier 5 repair is well over $3k. Your dealer must get involved, as Bullard has to have a P.O. from your dealer to do the work. Initial evaluation fee is $129.00.
    I happen to know this because we just paid for a tier 5 repair.....
    Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did that first. They said $3,957.49 for a "Core". I was wanting to see if this is a common problem with the TIx. We don't want to spend that much for something that is not going to last. We probably don't have ten hours on the one that failed. Thats about $1,200 per hour of use, $1,600 per hour use if you add in the replacement of the core. Quite a bargain eh?

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't 100% troubleshoot your TI over the Internet, but can you give more of a description in terms of what is going on?

I am not getting how you are seeing something on the display when the unit is off? If it is off then the display should be blank/black.

In terms of getting something like you described with it on, there could be a number of possible issues/causes to include:
    - Bad LCD Display, can go bad over time, or due to high heat exposure
    - Lens Aberation, something could have shifted or changed with the optics
    - Problem with the BST Detector, chopper may not be working properly, the FPA may have an issue.

Did Bullard tell you it was Core Problem based on an actual inspection, or just talk over the phone?

If it was just over the phone, then they may just be giving you the worst possbile case scenario?

The original "TI Series" are "Battle Wagons" and they can take a lot of abuse and keep on working. The units we have are getting close to being in service for 10 years and they still work just fine (proabably just jinxed us!).

However, as with any piece of electronic equipment, stuff can happen.

I will be gald to try and help you troubleshoot it, however it is probably going to come down to someone tearing the thing apart and seeing what is really going on internally.

As far an investing in a new core, that is your call. Even with TI prices coming down, you still can't get a new one for $4k to replace the TIx.

Best of Luck,
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was a phone call guessed diagnosis. They said that a tier 5 repair is likely. The unit was picked up by the Bullard dealer for our area on Monday. The rep said that he had never seen one do what it is doing. There is a shadow like circle, with a dot in the center, visible when it is turned off. It is the same area that becomes yellow when turned on. The entire area inside the circle turns yellow. While looking directly at the display screen, the image is close to normal, at least normal colored. Any viewing from and angle produces the yellow image.

Thread Information