MembersZone Subscriber

Default You Can't Make Up Stuff Like This

Ice skating bear kills Russian circus hand

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- A bear on ice skates attacked two people during rehearsals at a circus in Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan, killing one of them, Kyrgyz officials said Friday.

In the incident, which happened Thursday, the 5-year-old animal killed the circus administrator, Dmitry Potapov, and mauled an animal trainer, who was attempting to rescue him.

"The incident occurred during a rehearsal by the Russian state circus company troupe which was performing in Bishkek with the program, Bears on Ice," Ministry of Culture and Information director Kurmangazy Isanayev told reporters.

It is unclear what caused the bear to attack Potapov, 25, nearly severing one of his legs while dragging him across the ice by his neck. Medical personnel were unable to save Potapov, who died at the scene.

The 29-year-old circus trainer Yevgeny Popov, who attempted to rescue Potapov, was also severely injured, according to doctors.

"The victim has sustained serious injuries - deep scalp lacerations, bruising of the brain, lacerations on his body. His condition is considered critical," Dr. Gulnara Tashibekova told reporters on Russian state television.

After the incident, the circus was cordoned off by police and emergency service workers. Experts have been brought in to examine the bear, which was shot and died at the scene.

Russia has a long-standing tradition of training bears to perform tricks such as riding motorcycles, ice skating, and playing hockey. Fatal attacks are unusual.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a headline you would expect from a crappy movie, not real life.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

"It is unclear what caused the bear to attack." Well you put it on ice skates. Maybe it got ****ed off?

"Russian state television." Is that kinda like NBC?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

And people want to get up close with these critters and feed them,not knowing that they will be causing trouble when someone runs out of food for "Yogi,Cindy and Boo Boo Bear".
    Ranger Smith never had to worry about idiots like that.They all obeyed the signs.

Forum Member

Life imitates "Family Guy". Did anybody see the "Spies Reminiscent of Us" episode? Everybody in Russia was a bear on skates.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    And people want to get up close with these critters and feed them,not knowing that they will be causing trouble when someone runs out of food for "Yogi,Cindy and Boo Boo Bear".
    Ranger Smith never had to worry about idiots like that.They all obeyed the signs.
    Yep, how true. Just watch in the National Parks at the idiots stopping on the highway and getting out to take close ups of wildlife. Problem is the poor animal usually gets shot because he was tired of some clown pushing a 35mm in its face and trying to get it to do something so his kids are entertained. Jasper and Banff are really bad for that up here.

Back In Black

Wow, "Mauling" is a five minute major.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information