Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Questions when visiting a station?

I am testing for numerous departments and I don't really know questions that I should ask when visiting the stations. Please advise. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mawaddington View Post
    I am testing for numerous departments and I don't really know questions that I should ask when visiting the stations. Please advise. Thanks
    Seriously?

Are you currently hiring?
    I am interested in getting into this station. Here are my civil service test results and a copy of my resume'. I look forward to working with you.

How old are you? Have you ever applied for a job before?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Its not a bad question at all.

Be sure you meet as many people as you can. Shake their hand, introduce yourself. Ask questions about the station, The apparatus, other department information. Bring some Ice cream and leave a resume with a captain.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I think it is a great question.

Much better than not knowing & asking the wrong questions and perhaps risk looking/feeling foolish. Which could be rather detrimental to one's job search - mentally/confidence-wise and/or by making the wrong first impression.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

A resume?
    Are you serious?
    That's a first.

Bring a treat. Knock with your elbows.
    Ask if they have time to show you around. You'll usually get the rookie or the guy with the least amount of time on the job to show you around and answer questions.
    Be cordial and not overbearing and a know-it-all.
    Ask about the process and what to expect if you don't know already.
    Ask what a typical day is like.
    Don't overstay your welcome. If they offer to feed you, offer to pay and/or help.

Keep in mind that they may not have time for visitors and just take your offering and shut the door. Grin and bear it and move on to the next firehouse. It's nothing personal.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 10-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Forum Member

First off, call first. It isnít that hard, call the departmentís main number and ask for a station, they all have a station 1. Each station has three shifts, so if they donít sound interested call the next day and you will talk to a different crew. Donít call 0800-0900 (shift change for most), 1200-1300 (lunch time), or after 1700, you donít want to be a bother. But a department with 10 stations has 30 crews you could talk to.

If you can hook up with one of the last hired you will be talking to the last person who did it right as well as someone who may have more patience.

Try and find out about the department before you visit. Department web sites, trade magazines, internet searches can be good sources; you may even get something for their administration. You can then confirm them when you visit, all of those sources are good, but could have mistakes you wouldnít want to repeat in an interview.

As to what you can bring, not everyone eats ice cream; a bag of good coffee could be an alternative.

Since you seem new to the process, understand that station visits are a great thing to do to prepare, but also could hurt your chances. If you act inappropriate, stay too long, or in any way give a bad impression they will talk about you. If you visit station 1 and make either a great or horrible impression, the people at station 15 will know about it quicker than you could imagine. Firefighters gossip worse than a bunch of old wash women.

I tested for a major department and they asked me in my interview if I had gotten the packet they had available at all of the stations for people testing. I hadnít found time and had to say no, the energy of the interview changed immediately. If you find a captain that seems interested in you ask for his business card, it may come in handy later.

Good Luck, Capt Rob

Forum Member

Smile

Bring Ice cream!!!!!!
    It goes a long way if you bring dessert.

Administrator

Default thread to close

Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

There won't be any open threads at this rate. How about after 2 years instead (which I don't particulary care for, but at least it's better than 2 months!!!)?

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    There won't be any open threads at this rate. How about after 2 years instead (which I don't particulary care for, but at least it's better than 2 months!!!)?
    Calgary, I think you're right! I'm kind of sad to see them doing this, because even though there is no activity, the information is still valid and useful! Plus, the WSI threads always make me laugh!

"Bobby Hill Forever"

No one ever said they'd disappear, only that they would be closed to new post. It prevents some one adding to a post 4 years down the road like a lot of the post here.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee a widespread use of the "search" button so I'm not sure how many new post will not be repeats.

Well, there's the rub. There are members who WANT the old threads to be able to add to or refer to for more information and those who want you to start a brand new thread. I also think it is overkill to go and post on every Meet and Greet post that your thread is about to be closed.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Well, there's the rub. There are members who WANT the old threads to be able to add to or refer to for more information and those who want you to start a brand new thread. I also think it is overkill to go and post on every Meet and Greet post that your thread is about to be closed.
    Maybe we should start a forum about them closing the threads!!!

If they didn't state it, there would be complaining that "but we weren't told!"

If left open, "man you people dig up old threads"

If closed, "But I care about a thread from 1999!"

Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post
    Some folks did.
    They were promptly closed by the webteam.

Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post
    Or get your own website and do what you want.

Thread Information