Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fdny Wreck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fdny Wreck

FDNY is currently working an incident involving two of their apparatus. Firefighters are reported trapped and the chief officer on scene is reporting a major incident. This incident involves Tower Ladder 107 and the 236 Engine. Everyone pray for our brothers in New York as they work this tough incident.

MembersZone Subscriber

The incident is located in Brooklyn @ Hegeman Avenue and Ashford Street.

Hoping that all involved are ok.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Our prayers for all those involved and their families. May God protect them
    Bryan

Forum Member

Hope the brothers are all right.

Cheers firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Hope everyone is o.k. The pics on the main page don't look good (then again, any accident involving apparatus isn't good).

Forum Member

Any update?

Got this from LACountyFire.com-

Posted: 10:30 AM, October 24, 2009

Two firetrucks racing to a call of gas leak collided in Brooklyn this morning, causing one to flip over and the other to crash into a front yard, sending 12 firefighters to the hospital – some with serious leg injuries, authorities said.

The two trucks – from Engine 236 and Ladder 107 – were heading to the call at 762 Warwick St. in East New York when the engine truck T-boned the other at the intersection of Ashford Street and Hegeman Avenue around 9:38 a.m., officials said.

Ladder 107, which was heading north on Ashford, flipped on to its side. Its back end landed on top of a parked minivan, crushing it, and its front end ended up wedged into a tree, witnesses said.

Thirteen firefighters were injured and two were trapped after two fire engines collided on the way to a call in East New York, an impact that flipped one of ther big rigs on its side.
    "It went up in the air. I could see the wheels. It spun and then it slammed down on its side and then it slid and stopped wrapped in the tree," said Everett Groves, 63, a superintendent of a nearby building. "It seemed like he was trying to slam on the brakes but it was going too fast and it could not stop. To think you could turn that thing over."

The other rig – which had been going west on Hegeman — sped into the front lawn of a nearby home.

Several firefighters were pinned and the others quickly raced out to free their co-workers.

"I heard one firefighter yelling, ahhhh," said witness Everton Brown. "After [the ladder truck] flipped, the one standing on the back flew off the truck and landed on his face. He walked back and sat on the other truck. Then guys from both trucks got out and started to help."

Two firemen were cut out from the Ladder 107 truck and rushed to nearby hospitals.

In all, 13 were hurt. The Fire Department said that 12 were hospitalized — four with serious leg injuries and eight with minor injuries. The other was treated at the scene. No civilians were hurt.

The two firefighters with the most serious leg injuries, Lt. Kevin Washington and the truck's driver, Robert Pupa, were taken to Brookdale Hospital where they were expected to live.

"They are probably just fractures, but they are going through tests right now," said a fire department official. "The guys are alert and talking."

The others were taken to Jamaica Hospital and Kings County Hospital.

Joyce Listhrop, whose minivan was hit by the Ladder truck, said she’s lucky she wasn’t sitting in the parked van, because the driver’s side was completely crushed."

"If I was sitting there, I would die," she said. "Oh my God."

My thoughts go out to those injured.
    Hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

My thoughts and prayers to all that were involved. Get well soon.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

MembersZone Subscriber

"I heard one firefighter yelling, ahhhh," said witness Everton Brown. "After [the ladder truck] flipped, the one standing on the back flew off the truck and landed on his face. He walked back and sat on the other truck. Then guys from both trucks got out and started to help."

Maybe I'm mis understanding here, but do FF in FDNY still ride outside the trucks on the back, or is this just media mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Maybe I'm mis understanding here, but do FF in FDNY still ride outside the trucks on the back, or is this just media mistake?
    Yea... it's a mistake. They don't ride on the outside.

Hope everyone is okay and on their way to a quick recovery.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Banned

I saw that as well and thought that can't be right. It was a pretty violent crash, I hope all recover fully.

Hope everyone ends up alright.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Most severe injury required a skin graft due to a loss of flesh. One member suffered a fractured skull, but all are expected to be OK.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Most severe injury required a skin graft due to a loss of flesh. One member suffered a fractured skull, but all are expected to be OK.

Great news to hear.

Looking at the picture of the ladder, talk about unlucky. Think of how scarce trees are in NYC and that sliding ladder truck managed to not only slide into one, but it hit dead center of the cab! I am amazed the injuries were not worse.

Forum Member

I'm thinking mistake also. Since L107 appears to be a tiller in the picture I saw, I'm thinking maybe they were referring to the tillerman?

Glad to hear everybody will be ok.

Forum Member

Not a tiller, it's a 95' 'scope....

Don

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Exclamation

Glad everyone's going to be OK.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information