Default background question - my story.

hi everyone, i have read countless of stories regarding backgrounds and such and wanted to add my own 2 cents and see what kind of replies and advice i would get. when i was 18, i was convicted of misdemeanor battery because a buddy of mine and i were driving around spraying people with a water fire extinguisher(ironic since i want to become a firefighter), i was doing the driving and he was spraying, though i ended up taking the blame for it and had to deal with the consequences. at 19, i was given a ticket for posession of graffiti tools, and at 20, was arrested because another friend of mine decided to tag a wall, and since i was the driver, yet again, i was slapped with the same offense, although i just recieved another conviction for posession with graffiti tools while he was convicted of actual vandalism. at 20, i got a dui. im 21 years old now about to be 22 in jan. 20. i decided i wanted to become a firefighter when i turned 21, and have matured and changes a lot since, believe me, i stopped hanging out with people that are attracted to trouble, and have been walking the straight road since. i spoke a a buddy who happens to be the fire explorer battalion chief for my city, told him my story, and said i had a shot as long as i give it a few years to cool off my record. i will have since joined my city's CERT team, will be finishing my A.S. in fire science next spring, and plan to get into the rio hondo fire academy by fall. after the academy, i plan to enter medic school and work as a paramedic for a couple years before i plan to start seriously applying for a ff1/paramedic position. i will estimate ill be around 25/26 when i get to this point, for which i hope my record wont affect me as much. and BTW, i live in the los angeles county.

thanks for reading my story, and would greatly appreciate any commets, advice on whether i still have a shot, or if im better off saving my time and money for another career.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dude, with that kind of background? You'll be lucky to get a job by 30, if EVER...sorry dude.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whew! So glad to hear you've been walking the straight and narrow for what? A year?

i know its only been a year, but this is something i really want to do/accomplish. i know my irresponsible and stupid actions in the past will probably affect me for the rest of my life, but do you guys think i should continue to pursue as long i keep walking the straight path or am i wasting my time.

Forum Member

I probably shouldn't be saying anything, especcially because I'm asking questions about my own background...

but man, with that kinda wrap sheet a job working the grill at BurgerKing/McDonalds/Wendys would be hard to come by.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I don't care HOW much you want to do something, you made a lot of irresponsible and stupid decisions which ARE going to effect you for the rest of your life - and getting the job that you want.

Keep your nose clean and you MIGHT have a chance of getting hired after you're 30 or 35, but depending on the depths that the department's background investigators go to, you might have already made their decisions for them.

If it's something you really want, work towards it, but be accepting that you'll probably be turned away at the door.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default Looking for a job

If you just joined and have read countless stories I personally think your a troll. If you are not ...with that record you'd be lucky to land a job at @Mickey D's....sorry but I think your trying to stir it up.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Permanently Removed

The DUI sealed the deal. You are in California, right now HUNDREDS, maybe thousands of people are looking for fire jobs with no DUI or criminal backgrounds.

If you got that medic cert, maybe by age 30 you might find some one who will take you. Cal Fire needs medics pretty bad, you honestly might have a shot there.

Also- Since you're in CA, please join us over at www.californiafirefighter.com.

Thanks, Bou

Administrator

Default thread to close

Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager

Forum Member

Might I suggest that you improve your writing skills. Run on paragraphs with poor punctuation reflect poorly on you.
    You may have to write reports in this job. One slip and you can hurt the case, or hurt the property owner recover from the insurance company.
    When referring to yourself, it is I not "i".
    With that being said, I do not see a ff position open for you either paid or volly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager
    I don't understand the warning. Just close the thing!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Or DON'T close the thing at all!!! 60 days is just a short blip in time. I think it's crazy to go closing all these threads.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Or DON'T close the thing at all!!! 60 days is just a short blip in time. I think it's crazy to go closing all these threads.
    Agreed... know we'll just get even more multiple threads that could have been continued off a previous post.

Sounds like someone is trying to clean up the boards to get a good bullet point for their end of year review.

Forum Member

check different departments in the area for their policy on different crimminal action and different adjudications.

Our department you would not test for DV

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like you made a lot of bad decisions, don't worry bro you are definitely not alone. Most of us firefighters have made plenty of bad decisions, some have got caught and some have not. As much as these guys replying want you to believe that their perfect angels and that you don't have a chance, this is not true. I was in your same shoes bro and it sounds like someone like you may have to fight a little harder to get on a dept but that's just the nature of the beast. Do everything possible to get a head of the applicants. It sounds as though you have the right goals and mindset. Stay focused and stay out of trouble. With everything you say your going to achieve by twenty five, a fire dept will find it much easier to forgive you. On the other hand if you have a felony, it's going to be really tough, prob almost impossible unless you get it expunged. Keep your nose clean and keep trucking on.

Thread Information