Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Frame ladder

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Frame ladder

See a lot of A-Frame ladder such as little giant and such. Anyone know if it has to be or is it NFPA rated? What other brands are you using? Thanks.

Forum Member

alco-lite sells A frames. All their other fire service ladders are good, so why wouldn't this one be.

Forum Member

If i remember correctly, it was only in the past few years did NFPA put out "specs" per say for an A frame ladder. We have a Little giant on our engine, and on our new tiller went with a 6' A frame double step (steps/rungs on each side), and it's rated at 375 lbs. wich meets NFPA.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    alco-lite sells A frames. All their other fire service ladders are good, so why wouldn't this one be.
    We've got one of the Alco-Lite combination A frames/extension ladders. It's not very user friendly, and frankly, kind of a PITA. I would much rather replace it with a Little Giant. It just seems like a design that they had to settle with in order to get the combination function out of it.

Forum Member

The NFPA 1901 standard that went into effect this year states "Stepladders and other types of multipurpose ladders shall be permitted to be carried in addition to the minimum fire department ground ladders specified provided
    they meet either ANSIA14.2 or ANSIA14.5 with duty ratings of
    Type 1A or 1AA" (which I believe is 300 pounds) They can also be used as a be substitute for the folding ladder.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Service ladders are rated at 750lb (safe for a fully equipped FF with a fat victim).

Duosafety 300A is an Aluminum extension ladder that can fold into a step ladder. Their 35B is an Alum folding ladder, 35FB is the fiberglass equivalent. You can buy any of these for $275-350 in a 6' (12' straight) size. Not going to break the bank.

The various "civilian" ladders may be handy/great for casual use but they do not have the load capacity and are not a substitute for serious/fire rescue applications.

Type 1A is 300lb rated
    Last edited by neiowa; 10-26-2009 at 11:53 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Little Giant Storage

For those of you currently carrying a little giant or similar ladder how are you storing or securing it on the apparatus ? We are currently planning on storing ours vertically in a cabinet on the new engine but would be interested in any other creative storage ideas for these.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    For those of you currently carrying a little giant or similar ladder how are you storing or securing it on the apparatus ? We are currently planning on storing ours vertically in a cabinet on the new engine but would be interested in any other creative storage ideas for these.
    We store our little giant standing upright in the rear (tailboard) compartment, with our cribbing. We put a divider in to keep the cribbing from interfearing with it. Works well. On the new truck we have a Werner Type 1AA (375 lbs) we are planning to mount it cross body, under the ladder with the capability to remove from either side.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

we bought the biggest HD Little Giant that superceeded 375 lbs ........and we just lay ours flat on a shelf.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

In compartment over pumphouse.

Forum Member

Werner makes an MT series ladder similar to the Little Giant and the Gorilla.

Every aerial truck should be have one.

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The right front compartment which houses a 13' Little Giant ladder, a Rabbit Tool and some more forcible entry tools. Also, one each PW can, dry chem, CO2 and a Metl-X hand extinguisher.

One of four wheel well compartments. Three of them have spare air pack cylinders. This one has two home brew CAF extinguishers. We put about a gallon of water in them with a small amout of PhosChek concentrate, then pressurize them with air. They seem to work pretty well.

The bumper (trash) line which is a single 100' length of 1-3/4"
    Attached Images P1010223.jpg (30.7 KB, 196 views)
    P1010224.jpg (49.2 KB, 198 views)
    P1010237.jpg (42.3 KB, 194 views)
    Doesn't seem to want to copy the link, but this is on page 8 of "We're done, Whew, Toyne Wins!" thread, above.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Werner makes an MT series ladder similar to the Little Giant and the Gorilla.

Every aerial truck should be have one.

C6
    Werner 6' is available at present Home Depot or Lowes on a special for $69.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Werner 6' is available at present Home Depot or Lowes on a special for $69.
    I've used both the Little Giant and Werner knock-off at different departments. Spend the extra money for the Little Giant.

Forum Member

I compared the two side-by-side just a month ago and could tell a great deal of difference. The hinge locks looked identical as far as I could tell.

C6

Talking

Buy the Little Giant.
    The others are not as well made. LG uses an alloy aircraft aluminum , the others don't. The cheap big box chinese knock offs are only rated for half the weight of the Giant. Compare the strength of the extension latches and the folding hinge leafs and lockpins..

Remember we will be using them to save lives. OURS!

Thread Information