Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Industrial Emergency Services, LLC , Baton Rouge

I was wandering if anyone knows anything about this company, (Industrial Emergency Services, LLC , Baton Rouge). I was thinking about applying for a position but don't know much about them. I'm currently a career FF with a small city in FL but was thinking about moving back to Baton Rouge, Louisiana area. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

FF Callihan
    Firefighter II
    EMT/Basic
    Pump Operator

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ies

I think you would be better off sticking with a career dept, either where you are now or in the Baton Rouge area. St. George FD has the best starting pay of depts in the area.

Industrial Emergency Services (IES) was originally a division of Refinery Terminal Fire Dept in Chorpus Christi, TX. The board of directors decided they did not want to provide service outside of Texas so they divorced themselves and the Louisiana operation became IES.

They bid on a contract at the Texaco refinery (now Motiva) in Convent, LA to provide around the clock fire/rescue/medical/haz mat response. At the time they provided a 5 person crew per shift. The breakdown was 1 Incident Commander, 1 Safety Officer, 2 Apperatus Operators and 1 Firefighter. That meant that for anything over a basic medical call they still needed the assistance of the plant emergency response team.

I talked with a safety director at the plant and a few of the IES personnel in the mid to late 90s and they descibed the working conditions as punitive with un-announced 3 a.m. drills with punishment meeted out if they didn't perform to the officer's expectations. Hopefully things have changed for the better over the years.

Other things to consider are:

Private fire dept = no federal death benefits for a LODD

Small crew size means limited opportunity for advancement in rank

Working in industry is usually much safer than in a municipal fd and incidents are few and far between although the potential for the "big one" is huge.

Because you will e working for a private company, don't be surprised to be sent to another facility in another state if they find a crew short handed.

I'm not sure what kind of shift they work. If it is a standard industrial shift they work rotating 12 hour day and night shifts. 3 on 4 off then 4 on 3 off is not unusual.

Hope the info, dated as it is, helps somewhat.

Mike Dunn
    President
    Emergency Response Training, Inc.
    www.ertrescue.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply Mike, that's very good information. I think going from career municipal to industrial would be a tough change. Plus the fact that the benefit (LODD , pension, ect.) are probably not as good, although the pay is better. I'm not sure exactly what to do though, I'm really wanting to move back that area, but at the age of 35 there's not very many options to get hired with municipal because of the age limits. I know Baton Rouge FD's age limit is 35 but I'm not sure about St George FD. Anyway I appreciate the info and if you have any inside info on St. George FD you can email me at callihanco@hotmail.com or just relpy back I'll be checking this thread.

FF Bryce Callihan

Under no cirmstances should any job seekers out even consider working for IES. Industrial Emergency Services. I made that mistake and moved down to Baton Rouge and on good faith established a residence and signed an apartment lease. Then I was forced to quit and I was stuck holding a Bag that rapidly filling up with debt. To keep from total financial collapse I had to go to Afghanistan and loose my fiancée in the process.
    This place is based out of the Motiva refinery in Convent La. There are an OSHA Fire department…not an NFPA. None of their “Specially trained” recruits that came up from the ranks have any NFPA, Pro-Board or IFSAC Certifications. But they are obsessed with the “IES way” which is an excuse for one of their chiefs to live his “Marine Corp fantasy” Now before all the former Marines who read these go nuts this guy was only in for 6 years but he acts like he’s retired. He also wasn’t USMC Crash crew so he knows nothing about real FD’s. During their rookie schools you’re treated like your in boot camp and they go out of their way to harass you during training. When training to hook up to a hydrant you don’t need a full hose stream in your face. This group hates outsiders but is being forced to hire from the outside. So the established crew there is very standoffish at best, hostile at worst. This guy also expects you to stand at parade rest when he screams at you and expects total submission to his way which is the wrong way. The bottom line is this: I am proud that I served my country for 13 years including a deployment to Iraq but I am not in the military any more. Their answer to this is “We are a para-military organization”. So every day at work you have to watch your back and worry about being fired. I will not drop names but this chief’s name is the same as a nearby town. He also believes in drinking and driving which I have personally witnessed. The pay is good but the hassle is not worth the money.
    The job consists of being a fire inspector for an oil refinery. Easy work but the way the chiefs treat you makes this job a living hell. When something happens their way is hook up a 6 inch supply line. Deploy 5 inch lines to monitors. They wouldn’t know how to handle an office building fire to save their lives.
    Save yourselves the trouble and never consider this place of employment.

Forum Member

Default Pay????

Quote Originally Posted by Devosquid View Post
    Under no cirmstances should any job seekers out even consider working for IES. Industrial Emergency Services. I made that mistake and moved down to Baton Rouge and on good faith established a residence and signed an apartment lease. Then I was forced to quit and I was stuck holding a Bag that rapidly filling up with debt. To keep from total financial collapse I had to go to Afghanistan and loose my fiancée in the process.
    This place is based out of the Motiva refinery in Convent La. There are an OSHA Fire department…not an NFPA. None of their “Specially trained” recruits that came up from the ranks have any NFPA, Pro-Board or IFSAC Certifications. But they are obsessed with the “IES way” which is an excuse for one of their chiefs to live his “Marine Corp fantasy” Now before all the former Marines who read these go nuts this guy was only in for 6 years but he acts like he’s retired. He also wasn’t USMC Crash crew so he knows nothing about real FD’s. During their rookie schools you’re treated like your in boot camp and they go out of their way to harass you during training. When training to hook up to a hydrant you don’t need a full hose stream in your face. This group hates outsiders but is being forced to hire from the outside. So the established crew there is very standoffish at best, hostile at worst. This guy also expects you to stand at parade rest when he screams at you and expects total submission to his way which is the wrong way. The bottom line is this: I am proud that I served my country for 13 years including a deployment to Iraq but I am not in the military any more. Their answer to this is “We are a para-military organization”. So every day at work you have to watch your back and worry about being fired. I will not drop names but this chief’s name is the same as a nearby town. He also believes in drinking and driving which I have personally witnessed. The pay is good but the hassle is not worth the money.
    The job consists of being a fire inspector for an oil refinery. Easy work but the way the chiefs treat you makes this job a living hell. When something happens their way is hook up a 6 inch supply line. Deploy 5 inch lines to monitors. They wouldn’t know how to handle an office building fire to save their lives.
    Save yourselves the trouble and never consider this place of employment.
    How much is the starting pay?

Forum Member

Depends...experience, qualifications, and location of work are all variables in your question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Chief; Industrial Emergency Services, LLC

After looking at the thread for IES, I need to say that the information passed on is not true. IES offers full benefits, include LODD insurance as well as profit sharing, 401K and health insurance. All of our personnel are either FFI or Pro-Board 1081 certified fire fighters. IES has over 150 employees with operations across the US not only in the petrochemical industry, but also the marine and automotive industry. If interested in working for IES, please fee free to visit our website and submit an application. IES has the lowest turnover rate in it's history. The company and our personnel have pride in our professionalism and ability to manage the most complex marine, industrial and flammable liquid emergencies.

Tom Henning, Fire Chief, IES
    225 218-6458

Thread Information