Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question about arriving at Scene

Hi there, I am a new member and new to my towns VFD. I am currently going through our training process for one of our Engines... we have a pretty comprehensive "check list", and are required to spend time behind the wheel with several of our officers, as well as be proficient with the pump, etc....

This past weekend we were providing water shuttling for a neighboring town during a controlled structure burn, and during one of the shuttle runs my captain mentioned that we would be going over how to pull up to a scene (We deal primarily with MVA's as we are very rural, not many fires but plenty of "duke Boy's" type drivers around....) so I figured I would toss out to you folks, how do you all pull up to a scene... I have the basics of fire fighting book at home, and I am reading it but most of my studying these days is for the EMT-B class, so I was just looking for some basic information about pulling up to a scene. From the IC perspective, as I understand that if I am arriving as the second aparattus that the IC will direct me as to what I should do.

Thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

It is all dependant on your Policys and SOGS.

that being said. I, as an LT, expect the PO to anticipate the need for the apparatus but ultimately it is up to me.

1st due fires, we lay in and go to the best attack position, as possible leaving room for the truck if not for the aerial but but the tools too.

1st due automatic fire alarms/ nothing showing, no laying in best position for enterance of investigation crew and position to reverse lay if needed.

1st due fire rural: nothing showing - stay on the road back far enough away from the drive that will allow you to make the turn in it turns into a working incident. working fire - take the drive and drop the 5", stop far enough away to keep out of collapse zones and beaware of the potential of radiant heat

NOTE: if laying in learn how to nit block the road way for other responding units. if hydrant is on the same side as the fire, keep the hose to that side of the road... we do this to allow the trucks to get close. if the hydrant is on opposite side of the road keep to that side until you pass the fire, unless the truck is coming from the opposite direction as you.

Truck Ops: best spot for aerial is #1 concern, rescue is #1, ventialtion #2, and ladder pipe ops is #3 on the priorities. We on the roadway shortjack most of the time so that the next arriving engine can reverse out to feed us if aerail pipe is used. We run a midmount Sutphen so I always have the turntable in line with objective and we swing the cab away from the building to allow more scrub area.

If we have a workingfire in the urban areas we send the 1st engine and truck to the front, then next engine and truck to the back or sides. If not ordered to do so those units are to stage on the same side of the street nearest the last intersection if close or the last water source.
    If rural, 2nd engine (tnaker pumper) backs in the drive, then ties to the first's 5", pumping their their tank water, and sets up porta tanks. We set up 2 of them and dump the rest of the tanks and crews are dropped at the fire. Drivers stay with tanker in the shuttle.

hope that is what helps, again this is our departments proceedure ask in your's and i hope you can get good explainations
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Thanks ffmed... that does help a lot, and I am going to study SOG's tonight.

How about MVA's? Thats what we see the most of.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonl View Post
    Thanks ffmed... that does help a lot, and I am going to study SOG's tonight.

How about MVA's? Thats what we see the most of.
    For MVA's I try to position the squad so that it protects the scene. If possible I take the accident lane and 1 adjacent lane. I try to keep the pump and tool compartment out of traffic and point the squad so that it "directs" traffic to the open lane. It's not always possible to do both depending on location and tool placement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    I try to keep the pump and tool compartment out of traffic and point the squad so that it "directs" traffic to the open lane.
    Thats what my trainer said in our brief conversation about it. I have been to a handful of MVA's and come to think of it, the first truck on scene (Normally our squad vehicle with all of the equipment) is on the side of the wreck, and even though we have small 2 lane roads I do recall the aparattus being parked at an angle, with the pump towards the scene and the un-attended side of the truck towards traffic.

Thanks!

Thread Information