Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Houston Bans Helmet Cams WTF

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

At the advice of our county legal staff, our department banned helmet cams last year. I don't like it, but I do see where they're coming from.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

I'm not surprised. I don't like it but I'm not surprised. You can thank scum sucking BS attorneys and bad judgment on YouTube for this mostly.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I guess they feel its more important to cut down on dept. liability than having a training tool for their ff"s?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

I completely understand.

I think these things are a distraction and would certainly lead to unwanted videos showing up on youtube, etc.

Don't worry, soon enough everyone will have a camera built into their helmet/scba and the command post will be able to watch what is going on...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I guess they feel its more important to cut down on dept. liability than having a training tool for their ff"s?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    I think the biggest problem in their eyes is making sure that all video footage is accounted for. The few helmet cams we have simply record on a memory card. Nothing keeps the firefighters from downloading the footage onto their laptop before passing it on to the training department. Before you know it the "training footage" is on YouTube and the family who lost their son to the fire can listen to firefighters talk about how "awesome" the fire was.

We haven't had that problem yet, but the few people who have the cams are officers on my department. We have some good footage from a tornado that came close to our station and our recovery effort after the all clear was sounded. The news used the footage in their coverage and we got some good PR out of it.

I think that in the end a few black sheep and an endless list of "what-if's" ruined it for everyone in Houston.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Just another example of how some clowns can ruin a good thing for the rest of us by posting with indiscretion and foolishness, generally to just get their 15 seconds of "fame." We have to police ourselves so that administration doesn't need to get involved. It's a shame, but it is reality.

Forum Member

can't blame HFD. all it takes is one ding dong posting the wrong video, besides who really wants to see the video of them getting pulled out of a fire or cut out of a car on the internet for everyone to gawk at?

Let the buffs take the videos, or have the video taking sanctioned by the FD.

Forum Member

Wink

Probably will stop lots of problems. In my experience it seems the more roads to stupid you can close the better off you will be.

Forum Member

It's unfortunate that in our attempts to be professional, there are folks that somehow feel that posting what we do taken from a helmet cam help's get us there.

As usual, we are our own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It's unfortunate that in our attempts to be professional, there are folks that somehow feel that posting what we do taken from a helmet cam help's get us there.

As usual, we are our own worst enemy.
    And, as usual, someon is a sanctimonious windbag.

I never owned one, thank God.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Take away their helmets.

Then no one would have a place to mount the camera.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

I wouldn't work with someone wearing a camera, and I'm positive my officer wouldn't allow it. When will everyone learn, cameras are never a good thing at work.

Forum Member

I agree that cameras should not be used during on duty operations but I disagree that they cannnot be used during training. There can be some valuable footage shoot during training that can be used to train future firefighters.

Actually I think they are an awesome asset for both training and incidents when used properly and intelligently. In fact, I think they are more valuable for incidents than training since incidents are when things aren't already planned out to a T. The video from incidents is invaluable for training.

Unfortunately, thanks to a bunch of knuckleheads, we have this problem now.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Had 200 years of pretty effective training in the Fire Service with out them.....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Had 200 years of pretty effective training in the Fire Service with out them.....
    Damn brother you're that old? That's even before we wore the old cotton duck. I guess you had no where to mount a camera on your wooden bucket and horse pulled steamer.

Just kidding brother.

But the truth be told a having helmet mounted cameras can be a great training tool. Its one thing to tell a rookie something, it another to be able to show him. And as far as that goes, its like the in car camera in my patrol car. After a vehicle stop, I can go back and watch what I did right and what I did wrong and then address those issues and stay sharp.

It all comes down to being responsible with the footage that you have and using it for the right things, not just to put it on youtube.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

"It all comes down to being responsible with the footage that you have and using it for the right things, not just to put it on youtube".

Amen....

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    "It all comes down to being responsible with the footage that you have and using it for the right things, not just to put it on youtube".

Amen....
    I don't think he was praying.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

I don't know, I've seen the footage of these helmet cams and you can't make out anything.. it's all smoke and condensation.

I do think that a tripod mounted camera at the Command Post is okay. I've done and used that to review incidents. Plus, as the Chief, I controlled where that video went.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information