Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Forum Member

No aerial only ground ladders. A water supply would be established from a hydrant and porta tank. First in units would be an engine with 2000 gallons and a tanker with 3000 gallons 8 man crew.

Forum Member

So then you can afford to use that water to cool the atmoshpere enough to be able to make entry if needed. 5000 gallons of water is a lot of water to use in that tactic. The situation needs extreme caution since signs of backdraft aren't as prevalent with a metal building. I'll even admit other than feeling the building for heat, I don't know what to look for in a middle building.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    interesting idea for venting with a sawzall, although I don't buy that it's quicker. I'm not even sure if it would work on the older houses with planks for the roof deck and sometimes several layers of shingles. Even the chainsaw and cut off saw can have some issues on the real think ones.
    I do wish I had video of it to share. We had a "training house" graciously donated by the new property owners that wanted to tear it down and build a commercial structure. The house was built back in the early 1900's, no later than 40's I would guess, so pretty sturdy. Infact, it sucked cutting it up, I would have lived in it, haha. Anyway, we had several timed competitions between the old guys and the new guys, the new guys using the recip. axe and a pickhead axe, the old guys using a pickhead and a chainsaw or cutoff, whichever they wanted. The new guys won everytime, and by a decent margin. The time started when the saw was taken off of the truck. You have to remember, with a gas powered saw, you have to sart it before you even go on the roof, or should any way, to make double sure it starts, even though you may have checked it that morning. Then you have to turn it of, and start it again on the roof. On the recip, all you have to do is put the blade in and pull the trigger and zip through the roofing. Dem blades will cut quickly through just about anything. Try it some time, you might just like it, . I had my reservations about it at first, until I found the recip. saw a lot easier to drag up a ladder than a chainsaw, it freed up my hands for climbing. I could attach the saw to my bunkers. Seriously guys, try it sometime, if you don't like it, no harm done. If you do, I take payment by cash, check, or credit card, haha.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 03-12-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Forum Member

Default ground ladder

Officer brings forcible entry tools to the front door. Lineman pulls line to the front door. Driver charges the line, then takes a grond ladder and uses it to take out an upper window. Adavance line to seat of fire and extinguish. This has workwed for me for twenty(20) years without fail and 95% of the time on tank water (500gal.)
    PGFD

Forum Member

Backdraft question: Who played Steven McCafery in Backdraft??

Forum Member

Yoda................

Default steam soak

John Norman's book "officers handbook to tactics and strategies" gives an example of cutting a small vent hole in the side of the building (just enough to get the nozzle in). use a combination nozzle and set it on a power cone. basically pressurize the room with steam and cool the atmosphere.

a backdraft atmosphere is super charged with heat and fuel(smoke). cool the atmosphere enough to take down the heat where the smoke will be less likely to light off.

this is the tactic he suggests for buildings where verticle ventilation will not help such as large apartment buildings where the fire is in the middle floor.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information