MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up José Jalapeño on a Steek

Ventriloquist brings huge web following to TV

By Alex Strachan, Canwest News Service October 27, 2009

You may not care for ventriloquist comedian Jeff Dunham's new comedy program. The Jeff Dunham Show, but you need to ask yourself: Can 120 million YouTube hits and a virtual legion of ventriloquism fans be wrong?

The show, which boasts two million DVD sales, makes its Canadian debut tonight on the Comedy Network

After a run of quirky dummy characters like José Jalapeño on a Stick, Bubba J, Peanut and Sweet Daddy Dee, Dunham appears to have struck comedy gold with his bug-eyed skeleton dummy, Achmed the Dead Terrorist. The politically incorrect Achmed, with his signature line "Silence! I kill you!" has drawn more than 97 million YouTube views in the two years since it first appeared on the site.

Comedy Central programming president Lauren Corrao told reporters this past summer that Dunham, who "was eight (when) he found his first dummy under the Christmas tree," is now "the third-highest earning comedian in the U.S., behind Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock." Dunham's most recent special, A Very Special Christmas, was Comedy Central's most-watched telecast, ever. "Bigger than South Park," Corrao said. "Bigger than The Daily Show. Bigger than anything that's aired on Comedy Central in 18 years."

"This is all I've ever done," Dunham admitted to reporters, this past summer. "I did my first show in the third grade. I started doing book shows and Cub Scout banquets and church shows, and by junior high I was actually doing Kiwanis Clubs. I got audited when I was 12-, 13-years-old."

And now he's on TV. In Canada, too.

Try not to go into anaphylactic shock or clench your face into an expression of passionless pain and grief. Some people -- a lot of people, evidently -- find this funny.

Don't worry. If you laugh, even once, we won't tell.

10 p.m., Comedy

Network

Three to see:

Just in time for Halloween, Keith Richards wins a lifetime achievement award -- he's named an official Rock Immortal -- at tonight's Scream 2009 Awards. The presenter is Johnny Depp, who reportedly based his Pirates of the Caribbean character, Jack Sparrow, on the hard-living rocker.

9 p.m., Spike

The two-hour special A Tribute to the King of Rock 'n Roll: Scotty Moore and Friends, recorded at Abbey Road, features longtime Elvis Presley guitarist Scotty Moore performing some of the King's most fondly remembered standards, accompanied by such granddaddy rockers, as Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler and Keith Richards' bandmate, Ronnie Wood.

6 p.m., Bravo!

A change-of-pace: PBS's Frontline documentary, Close to Home, examines the effects of the economic downturn on an upscale hair salon on New York's Upper East Side. A different take on a familiar story.

7 p.m., PBS-E; 9 p.m., PBS

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Forum Member

Gotta love 'em!
    Last edited by firecat1; 01-13-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Forum Member

My personal favorite is Walter. I see myself in him now. Jose Jalapeno is pretty good too. Then Achmed.

I might go see him in January as he is coming to the area and it seems like a nice break to have a chuckle.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    My personal favorite is Walter. I see myself in him now. Jose Jalapeno is pretty good too. Then Achmed.

I might go see him in January as he is coming to the area and it seems like a nice break to have a chuckle.
    Going to a show? What are you thinking? Don't you have bills to pay!!!!!

Oh wait
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Who the heck is this "Bills" guy anyhow? He must be the richest dude on the planet, because EVERYONE talks about giving him money every month.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Who the heck is this "Bills" guy anyhow? He must be the richest dude on the planet, because EVERYONE talks about giving him money every month.
    I think he might live in Buffalo,NY.He's kind of big around there so you might not want to start anything with him.
    I thought Jeff Dunham got started in the 90s.That's when I first saw him,at least.I thought his early stuff was funnier because he had to work at it more just starting out.

The first time I saw Gallagher was in the mid 80s in Charleston SC.The bowling alley had tickets through their activities center and I got a couple for a lovely young USMC lady I was seeing at the time.(yeah,I dated a Marine.what of it?)
    However,we didn't know and were not advised that for the first few rows,a sheet of plastic was advisable.
    She got up and headed for the door but I thought it as funny.She was mad because I had the car keys and she had to wait until the show was over so we could head back to our ships.

Forum Member

Altho Jeff Dunham did The Johnny Carson Show in 1990, I can remember catching his stand-up routine televised from a few comedy clubs well before that. Peanut was always my favorite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Going to a show? What are you thinking? Don't you have bills to pay!!!!!

Oh wait
    Neener, neener, neener, neener!
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I think he might live in Buffalo,NY.He's kind of big around there so you might not want to start anything with him.
    Used to be a guy named Bills around these parts, but I kicked his arse so badly in public he doesn't have the b@lls to show up here again.

I thought Jeff Dunham got started in the 90s.That's when I first saw him,at least.I thought his early stuff was funnier because he had to work at it more just starting out.
    Agreed. As usual, the earlier stuff for comics was much funnier. Hell I still like Bill Cosby's stand up routines. Especially the old stuff.

I got a couple for a lovely young USMC lady I was seeing at the time.(yeah,I dated a Marine.what of it?)
    Ha. I was a Marine, and have been known to be mentally unstable from time to time, and even I did not have the guts to date a WM. I guess you liked being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and how fast to do it........ah crap, it's just like being married. Sonofabitch!

Thread Information