Forum Member

Default Firefighter Who Fell Down Pole Shaft:

10-23-2009:

He entered the wrong door, falling through the unguarded hole onto the concrete floor below. The door to the pole was a few feet away from a similar door to the restroom.

Jones said in court papers that his injuries were a result of negligence by the city and the department for failing to install a proper guard or around the pole or the door that opened to it.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/...1275M/46$66304

I don't really understand all that I know about the UNGUARDED pole doors and openings...?

Here is a photo of one of the three poles [installed in 1896] in old central, with the simple home-made wood doors and galvanized pipe around the opening from the local hardware. There are is no recollection or records of anyone EVER falling through the openings in 74 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

From reading the article, sounds like the pole in question was behind an actual full-sized door, much like a closet. To the un-initiated (or as in this case, a detailed guy from another station) it looks like any other closet, bathroom or another room door. I can easily see how someone from another station, thinking it was the bathroom door, could walk right into it (while rubbing sleep out of his eyes.....) I myself worked in a fire station with this very type of pole enclosure. Perhaps they should have placed some kind of gate inside the door......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a case where we were better off with the old system of railings. At least with those pictured, you could see what was behind the gates and not confuse it for a closet. Even a half height wall and door would have been better. Of course I have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

1OLDTIMER-

I would like to get your thoughts on some issues relating to a local fire accident. Please email me your email address at funkadlik3@yahoo.com. I will then email you my contact information.

Thread Information