Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Information Please

Ok folks, I have been to the Wack and KBR sites, and have read all the posts. I would like some clarification on a few things please:

1: I have heard rumors of pay scales as hight as $160,000.00 True or False
    2: What can you truly expect as a starting Salery (FF/LT/Capt)
    3: How important are the full range of Certs? I have IFSACDOD FF II, ARFF, Insp I, Instructor III, Mble Water, TeleComm II, HazMat T-t-T(All), WMD Tech & IC. I also have most of these in ProBoard.

Can someone please break it down for me

Thanks, Talk

Default OK So whats up, is this realyy that difficult to answer?

I have had 54 people look at my post and not a single taker? Can someone please help me out here?

Forum Member

I was with WSI Oct 07 thru Oct 08 you have take this as a grain of salt if you wish too. I have heard from some of the guys I was over there with and are still there WSI is down sizing at a fast rate.Contract should be done Aug or Sept 2010?? I know for a fact they are closing bases so if you do decide to go plan on traveling from base to base what that in tales is 8 hour travel pay instead of 12 or a 16 hour day.They usually dont bring people in above FF unless you prior Military FF with 123's but that could have changed.
    KBR takes prior Military before anybody else, I have had an app in since Dec 08 heard nothing from them. You can send me an private message if you would like try to answer and questions best of my ability.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRTalk View Post
    Ok folks, 1: I have heard rumors of pay scales as hight as $160,000.00 True or False
    2: What can you truly expect as a starting Salery (FF/LT/Capt)
    3: How important are the full range of Certs? I have IFSACDOD FF II, ARFF, Insp I, Instructor III, Mble Water, TeleComm II, HazMat T-t-T(All), WMD Tech & IC. I also have most of these in ProBoard.

Can someone please break it down for me
    Easy twinkle toes...... people will respond.

As I am sure you already know the military is downsizing and some of the bases (2) have been shut down. WSI is also downsizing as DIRECTED. That never stops the WSI Machine; they are cramming in as many new hires as possible, cutting everyoneís hours. So talk to the recruiter as soon as possible and get over here before you cant..

You can make that much, if you get hired in a good position, but I donít see any officer certs in your amazing list. You need all your 1's for LT...

If you are getting good hours and working every day, you can make over 120k as a firefighter. There are guys at bases getting 2 and 3 days off every week. There is no telling what those guys are making. Maybe one of them will post up how bad it is at the different sites.

Put in your stuff now. Maybe you will have a chance to come over. They will say you are only guaranteed 40 hrs a week.... you can get fcuked by the man at anytime... Just be ready to bend over. On a plus side, the fire service will always be in Iraq as long as we have troops here. More then likely WSI will always be providing that service. They do it cheaper then the other companies, pay us less and pocket the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by lcfd1130 View Post
    .....They usually dont bring people in above FF unless you prior Military FF with 123's but that could have changed.
    KBR takes prior Military before anybody else, I have had an app in since Dec 08 heard nothing from them. You can send me an private message if you would like try to answer and questions best of my ability.......
    I am a prior military firefighter, 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by infusion View Post
    ........They do it cheaper then the other companies, pay us less and pocket the rest.
    LAMO, well thanks for the heads up. You are correct about the Officer Certs. Unfortunatly the Marine Corps was never really big on certs so the few I have are quite an achievment. If you match up a career Marine FF to a career Air Force FF the Marine would be lucky to have half as many certs though probably held higher postions for longer periods of time... ohh well

So I have made contacted with both entities, just waiting on someone to call me back.

Forum Member

Default Overseas Jobs

I have been researching overseas jobs myself, I see officer jobs starting in the $50,000 area, I did not see any FF positions for much more than that. Good Chief jobs in the middle east are advertised at around $100,000. If FF's are getting a lot of OT I guess it is possible, but some of the contracts I have reviewed have NO OT. Here are some links I found:

http://socyberty.com/government/indu...fighting-jobs/

http://socyberty.com/work/how-to-bec...r-firefighter/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRTalk View Post
    You are correct about the Officer Certs. Unfortunatly the Marine Corps was never really big on certs so the few I have are quite an achievment. If you match up a career Marine FF to a career Air Force FF the Marine would be lucky to have half as many certs though probably held higher postions for longer periods of time... ohh well

So I have made contacted with both entities, just waiting on someone to call me back.
    I hear ya on the cert thing. I would rather have a Marine that knows what the hell is going on around a fire scene than somebody who sat in front of a DVD maxing out there certifications.

Good luck getting hired, just be careful... they are downsizing and cutting hours. Have you talked to the WSI recruiter yet?

Administrator

Default thread to close

Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager

Forum Member

activity today

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefbv1800 View Post
    I have been researching overseas jobs myself, I see officer jobs starting in the $50,000 area, I did not see any FF positions for much more than that. Good Chief jobs in the middle east are advertised at around $100,000. If FF's are getting a lot of OT I guess it is possible, but some of the contracts I have reviewed have NO OT. Here are some links I found:

http://socyberty.com/government/indu...fighting-jobs/

http://socyberty.com/work/how-to-bec...r-firefighter/
    Thank you for sharing the links.

Good luck to you in your search !

Thread Information