Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default City of Longwood Hiring

City of Longwood is beginning a process, we are hiring 1 right now. I believe apps can still be submitted at the city website. Good Luck!

Forum Member

Talking

Longwood..ha ha ha

Forum Member

What's so funny about Longwood?

Forum Member

i dunno, my guess is hes laughing at the name.....long-wood? lol

Forum Member

Yes they are hiring. Do you now if its mandatory that you do the physical fitness test through Seminole college?

I just got off the phone with the college and it costs 94 bucks to take the test, which i really don't have .....

I believe you do have to take the test, but hey 94 dollars vs not getting hired on. I'd take the 94 dollar gamble right now. The test results (I believe) are good for a year with all depts in Seminole County, but that's just how it was when I took it, not sure this time.

Forum Member

I'm glad you are in a position to spend the $94 ... somebody will get the job and they will have to spend the money. I just don't have it. It kinda seems like it a way for the college to make money.

$94 for a shot @ 1 spot those are tuff and expensive odds. Good Luck.

Now if they were to "conditional job offer" .... then i could find the money.

Forum Member

its one spot andgonna be like 500+ applicants at 94$ each CPAT..47000..unless im wrong...i think colleges are the biggest crooks lol..to one person those 94 dollars would be worth it

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, for what it's worth, that test will weed out a TON of the competition......Trust me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedicFndz View Post
    its one spot andgonna be like 500+ applicants at 94$ each CPAT..47000..unless im wrong...i think colleges are the biggest crooks lol..to one person those 94 dollars would be worth it
    I definitely agree.. It's damn near criminal that departments are charging people to test for a job in this or any other economy, especially something as ridiculous as $94. Departments have to do training on their own so why not do a test at the station or firegrounds where your dept trains... The CPAT is a great test and an amazing equalizer, but you can get similar results with way less specialized equipment and without making a huge profit off of people desperate for work...

Forum Member

you can get similar results with way less specialized equipment and without making a huge profit off of people desperate for work...
    Amen brother ....

Forum Member

I thought Longwood was going to join Seminole County?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    I thought Longwood was going to join Seminole County?
    That was Winter Springs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flashpo1nt View Post
    That was Winter Springs.

Check .... So many Depts in Seminole, hard to keep them all straight.

MembersZone Subscriber

The college hosting the exam is an excellent idea for all the departments in Seminole County. It is a smart financial decision as well.

First, the college weeds out a lot of candidates that would otherwise waste the time of the FD employees.

Second, by having a standardized test, it reduces any arguments about things being fair or unfair; it also reduces the chances of nepotism/favoritism.

All around, it is a brilliant idea as the cities and FDs save a lot of money by having the light work (weeding out) done for them. The taxpayers (you and me) are not paying OT costs for the FD personnel to staff these testing events. It also removes the departments from any potential litigation or challenges about the hiring process.

There is significant cost savings, especially for the smaller departments.

Of course the college is going to charge to administer an exam. The are supplying the equipment, the facility, the proctors, the time, paperwork, building overhead, etc, etc.

Paying $94 to get on a list that all departments within the county will pull from is not a lot of money, especially if you are pursuing your "dream job."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKflightmedic View Post
    The college hosting the exam is an excellent idea for all the departments in Seminole County. It is a smart financial decision as well.

First, the college weeds out a lot of candidates that would otherwise waste the time of the FD employees.

Second, by having a standardized test, it reduces any arguments about things being fair or unfair; it also reduces the chances of nepotism/favoritism.

All around, it is a brilliant idea as the cities and FDs save a lot of money by having the light work (weeding out) done for them. The taxpayers (you and me) are not paying OT costs for the FD personnel to staff these testing events. It also removes the departments from any potential litigation or challenges about the hiring process.

There is significant cost savings, especially for the smaller departments.

Of course the college is going to charge to administer an exam. The are supplying the equipment, the facility, the proctors, the time, paperwork, building overhead, etc, etc.

Paying $94 to get on a list that all departments within the county will pull from is not a lot of money, especially if you are pursuing your "dream job."
    The college is profiting. The departments do not profit when they test.. There in lies the problem.

Forum Member

They are going to hire how many from that list? Less than 10 i imagine. More like Longwood will be the only one is my guess. Other departments in the county (Paying $94 to get on a list that all departments within the county will pull from is not a lot of money, especially if you are pursuing your "dream job." and Seminole County) have already hired so now its $94 for the possibility to pursue my dream job with less and less a chance. Is their a law stating that departments HAVE TO hire from that list or is it up to the individual dept? There is only like 8 r 10 towns in the county ... two have already hired without this list ... still think its a good idea?

How about the Longwood brothers who prolly just got shafted out of some overtime ...? You think they are happy about this?

.. and if its not a lot of money to you ... can you paypal me the $94 .... it the only thing stopping me.
    Last edited by owenscott; 11-04-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: fixed which dept has already hired

MembersZone Subscriber

I have taken this test a few times when I was looking for a job, and went to SCC for Fire School. it is a TOUGH test, especially if you have been out of standards for awhile. It used to be, about every department in Seminole County used this list, or gave it alot of consideration, when testing for firefighters. The only department that did not use this list, was the City Of Oviedo. Nowadays, this is not the case. Seminole County is going to the CPAT, Winter Springs is now part of Seminole County, Sanford does not give it much consideration at all, especially if you are medic. This leaves you with the City Of Casselberry, and Lake Mary: 2 departments that have not hired in quite some time. YOU do the math....

Forum Member

It seems most of you would rather ride on one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFIT863 View Post
    The college is profiting. The departments do not profit when they test.. There in lies the problem.
    You are correct, they do not profit. However, they spend a lot of money, waste time and this is a way to save on both.

Times are tough all around, so it is very prudent of the FD management and city management to save by using this set up.

Would you rather them keep hosting testings along with all the associated costs and then realize there are budget shortfalls that will now have to be made up by no raises, increases insurance costs, not hiring or even resorting to layoffs?

Not saying the testing is the sole cause of this but it is a factor and a significant piece of the overall annual budget.

But from the replies, it seems we wish to disregard all the financial and practical management stuff cause in the end it is all about you and how you are not getting a job.

Thread Information