Forum Member

Default Grant help needed

Any help in pointing me to where i can get info or apply for grants for my vol dept would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

some background info would help just sayin..

what state are you in would probably be most important.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 3 biggest grant opportunities for FD's are:

1) Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG)
    2) Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response Grants(SAFER)
    3) Fire Protection & Safety Grants (FP&S)

You can find info on each at firegrantsupport.com

The AFG & FP&S are closed with SAFER application period opening in mid-November. The next AFG application period will be in the spring & FP&S in the fall.

If your department is classified as a 501 c(3) non-profit organization, then there are a host of private sector grants that you can apply for.

If you have any questions, post them there are alot of folks that can point you in the right direction.

Forum Member

sorry, were in NY

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as the Yankees lose we will help you. HA HA just kidding. Let us know what type of equipment your looking for, but first of all take a grant writing class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    As long as the Yankees lose we will help you. HA HA just kidding. Let us know what type of equipment your looking for, but first of all take a grant writing class.
    lol i don't like the yankees!!! Go Phillys... but yes i am looking into taking the class or finding someone local that will do it with my help....

We could use money for a station...as i am sure many are facing the "Height" issue. the upstairs offices you wanna walk softly cuase it feels like your going to fall through. Our Hall when it rains or snow melts the floor floods...oh i could go on and on but you get the idea.

However i know money for a station is probably far off so what i was thinking was to try first for some type of a utility vehicle with brush unit and also back board area.... we have a lot of snowmobile trails, state land (small amount) walking trails and also we could offer it mutual aid to the neighboring department that cover the Lake.... many snowmobile accidents and ice fishing calls out there and they dont have a snowmobile or anything.... so all in all if i could get one for our dept we can run with our mutual aid companies in our town which there are 4 dept's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Here's what I do here in NY

NYS DEC grant - $2,000 grant on a 50/50 match, get it every 2 years.

Member Item grant from your Senator of Assembly member - $1K - $50K, each politician gets a different amount of $$ to give out each year. This is a big opportunity if you know the right people. You need to start now for 2010. I'm still waiting for our 2009 money to show-up, but the state had huge delays with everything this year.

Walmart - $500 or $1,000 a couple times a year

AFG - 2 grant requests every year, big bucks, no wammy's for about anything

USDA rural development loans for station or vehicle money, can get grant money or low interest loans.

NYS revolving loan - good for one super low interest rate loan on vehicle or station

US Fish & Wildlife if they have property in your area

US Smokeless Tobacco for Polaris Ranger (not one I can crack)

MembersZone Subscriber

jbrown, you missed out on the station grants thru afg. If you are looking for money for a station look at the usda rural development. I'm working with one of these right now and its a lot of paper work but they want a quality built station no cheap stuff or short cuts done. There is another thread on here about grant classes, I can't strss enough about how much you will learn taking a grant class. These classes will answer alot of your questions. The classes may cost a little but when you get a grant theres the pay off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    jbrown, you missed out on the station grants thru afg. If you are looking for money for a station look at the usda rural development. I'm working with one of these right now and its a lot of paper work but they want a quality built station no cheap stuff or short cuts done. There is another thread on here about grant classes, I can't strss enough about how much you will learn taking a grant class. These classes will answer alot of your questions. The classes may cost a little but when you get a grant theres the pay off.
    I second this!! I would recommend you contact Kurt Bradly for his grant writting class. It is top notch!!
    Samuel Andrus
    IAFF Local 1745
    Eunice Fire Department

Thread Information