Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default The Villages is Hiring

http://www.districtgov.org/images/Pu...pplication.pdf

I can't find this opening on their website. I learned of it through another FL FF job board.

The closing date listed is 11/7/09.
    Last edited by SWFLFFPM; 10-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Forum Member

How do you keep finding these? I try searching every morning but there are just so many departments and cities that I can't search them all.

Forum Member

http://www.fireacademy.org/jobs2.htm

http://www.ffmia.org/employment.htm.

http://www.fsfa.com/JobsOpen01.htm

I'm also on some FL FF email lists that sometimes have job openings.

Forum Member

Well, thanks for passing the info along. :thumbup:

Forum Member

Forum Member

This is probably a job you guys should jump on. My understanding of the Villages is that once the economy returns the area will be exploding again so advancement opportunities should be quite good. Just the fact that they are hiring now is a good sign.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

wont hurt to apply.. im going to right now as we speak

Forum Member

Just wondering for the 911jobs when you apply it asks for name, email ect but never takes you to the place that hires, how does the employer actually get a hold of you?

Forum Member

Just got a letter yesterday. Have a 200 question written exam next Friday!

Forum Member

The wifey just told me I got a letter today saying that I passed the written and have the physical next Friday 12/4!

Anyone else? Anyone even know how many they're hiring? There were only 40 people at the exam last Friday...

Forum Member

Rumor is 5 to be hired but who knows. I am also doing my PT test on the 4th @ 1pm. It did seem like only 40 guys .. less actually because some left after doing just the medic part (i guess).

I hope they are hiring 5 FF instead of 5 total counting the non-cert FF medics.

Their commercials on TV are so annoying. I can't imagine what it would be like actually being there.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

General numbers in case who i heard it from wasn't suppose to give explicit number ... after the written test the eligible candidates is about 23.

They are hiring (help me if i get it +/-) 6 or 7 to start first week in Feb. Next phase will begin next week. Email no latter than 5pm on Monday to advance to the next round.

Next round is EMT/medic assessment comming next Thurs or Fri.

Then the FD is through with you and it gets passed on to Human Resources. They give you a modified physic test and then sign off ... they HR gets together with FD and decide who they want.

What they hope to do is establish an eligibility list from us guys (if we did well enough on these tests) so they can just hire quick without going through the whole process again. Said some guys don't last too long.

I seriously doubt i completed the PAT with in the time allowed. Most there with me today felt a bit nervous about whether they could complete it also.

Who knows ......

MembersZone Subscriber

WHat was their pat like?

Forum Member

Owen, you got pretty much everything right. They told us today that 44 took the written, 23 passed, 11 were tested this morning and 12 this afternoon. Everything will be added together and then the EMS assessment/Interview will be held next Thurs/Fri. They will then be hiring 7, possibly 8, to start orientation the first week in February.

I just got an email tonight that I made it to the next step. I have my assessment/interview next Friday.

The PAT was definitely tough, the search along with the 2 minute wood chop about did me in.

dmonteav: the PAT consisted of:
    1. High rise pack taken to third floor then back down.
    2. Hose pulley (3" hose attached to rope, strung up to pulley) - had to pull hose up, let back down but not touch the ground, then repeat.
    3. Tool carry 100' - heavy chains were put in a basket
    4. 24' ladder taken off of engine prop, carried 50' then fully extended and prepared to climb
    5. Right hand search of 3rd floor, go down stairs, then search 2nd floor, and back down to ground level
    6. 100' dummy drag
    7. 2 minutes of chopping wood
    8. Pike pole push/pull - 15 times

All in under 11:30. They only took 3 people at a time, so I didn't get to see anyone really go.

Forum Member

OH yeah i almost forgot about that ... it was HARD.

Full bunker gear with SCBA (composite bottle) and a mask hanging loose around your chest but secured with your chest strap (sort of). PLUS RAIN. Then off to the highrise pack part.

Highrise pack to the third floor and come down inside stair case. Not as bad as some others you say ... 'cept it was 3" hose.

After dropping the HR Pack we move over to hose pulley. Hose attached to a pulley and in a hand over hand matter raise the hose (3" also i think) to the top floor and back down and up to the top again and back down. Feel it in my biceps .... i did.

Next up carry 50lbs of chains in a milk crate. Pick them up properly and walk 50 ft. Place them down properly. Go to the opposite side of the crate, pickem back up safely and walk back to original starting point placing crate down safely.

Then over around to do the ladder raise. Remove a straight ladder from a ladder stand that simulates the side of an apparatus. Take down the 24 ext ladder and go around the cone calling out looking for obstructions. Butt ladder fly up, raise hand over hand, then fully extend rotate and butt the ladder ready to climb.

Then we go around to the tower again go to 3rd floor ....right hand search just go around right wall and follow out first door you come to. 1/2 room about. Go down stairs feet first to the second floor .. do a right hand search around the full outside wall of the room and go down the stair butt first as taught in fire school ..... crawl out.

Next up, still in the rain but not raining too hard, dummy drag. Grab rescue randy by his webbing and walk backward. 50ft turn around and come back. Through MUD and MUD PUDDLES. I swear if you can get it pulled fast enough the dummy will kinda hydroplane on the water and get a bit easier.

Next up is 2 full extremely hard minutes whacking a log with a sledge hammer. After my full two minutes ... or so it seemed .... i still had 1 minute to go ... i was very winded by this time.

Then on to the pike pole simulation. Pike pole attached to rope that goes up and around a pulley then attached to a 25lbs(?) weight hanging in the air (so when you pull down the weight goes up and then back down). You have to go up and down while counting out loud 15 times.

End .... i'm not saying with a couple weeks of practice at it i'm sure most of our guys there today would be down enough to pass but it was HARD today. I knew the sledge hammer and dummy drag were going to be hard but what i didn't realize is that the right hand search would tire me out sooooo much.

As expected because you must complete it and you haven't done it before you don't know how hard to go at it in the beginning. Trying to save some ENERGY FOR later if needed. Well i didn't have anything left when i was done whether i was saving energy or not. If i did it again tomorrow i would do better and after 2 weeks of practice i'm sure id pass it regularly.

I didn't get an email yet and i'm not really expecting one either.
    Last edited by owenscott; 12-04-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: long time writing ....

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds intense. Good luck to you guys

Forum Member

Default Call?

Anyone get a call yet?

Forum Member

Not yet. I'm dying to find out, good or bad.

Forum Member

So trained what did the email say / did you go do an assessment/ interview last friday .. what was that like ... ?

Thread Information