Default another drug use thread

question answered
    Last edited by BlueAvenue; 08-09-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Forum Member

I donít see why it would.

Look, we all do stupid stuff when we are young, some people still do. Drug use happens with full time firefighters and EMS personal who are employed now. We donít condone it but it happens.

I would not suggest smoking, and if it occurred as a juvenile it really doesnít pertain to the hiring process. If I were you I wouldnít even mention it. Itís none of their business anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

How long ago this happened would make a big difference. You mentioned you habitually smoked until you were 18. Since you have your associates, I would guess you're at least 20 now. You don't mention if you even casually smoke now. Don't touch the stuff again. The longer the time that you have been clean, the smaller an issue it will be. Some depts will make a bigger issue of this than others. At least academically, it seems you are otherwise qualified and able to learn the material. When you are ready to start applying, schedule an appt with the person in charge of the background investigations for the FD. Honestly explain. Everyone will be happier if you find out before money is sunk into a process that you won't stand a chance completing.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Be truthful

Don't lie about it. It will come out in the polygraph. Be truthful and upfront and maybe they won't hold it against you. If you are truly clean now, good luck. If you are not clean, don't try it you will get caught and then forgiveness will not come your way.

Forum Member

I would argue that it is illegal to ascertain and use information about your history as a juvenile in the hiring process. You are not allowed to ask questions pertaining to anything that would not hinder your ability to do the job at hand. Past drug use, in my opinion, would not hinder oneís ability, especially if they boast the grades that he does. If you take a polygraph, and they ask you, tell the truth. It depends on where you apply as to whether you have to take one of those or not. But, at no time do you volunteer information that would hinder your hiring. Make them ask you. Far too often you hear managers talking about how they didnít need to know this or that. Performance now, not past indiscretions will be used to make the decision.

Forum Member

Wait until they legalize it, then it will be a non issue.
    IAFF

Back In Black

As others have said... be honest and explain it just as you did here.

If that fails, run for President. After all he (and a few others) have done that and worse.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

question answered
    Last edited by BlueAvenue; 08-09-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Thread Information