Thread: MythBusters!

Forum Member

Default MythBusters!

Did anyone see MythBusters tonight? I totally see myself conducting some experiments at some point!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by haligan155 View Post
    Did anyone see MythBusters tonight? I totally see myself conducting some experiments at some point!
    It's on my DVR. Should my wife be afraid when I watch it tomorrow?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

What is it they say at the BEGINNING of each program?

"REMEMBER FOLKS. Don't TRY ANYTHING you see on this program at home."
    and

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Donít you think that we can consider ourselves professionals? At least when it comes to grease fires? I totally am going to be designing a grease fire simulator.

Forum Member

Well be careful. Apparently a 10 inch diameter frying pan of grease is extremely dangerous and requires 100,000 hours of training and certification to handle according to the NFPA. Don't get hurt!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Just remember to have water on standby

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, remember to have IX-I-I speed dialed into your cell phone so that you can call the real professionals to help put out whatever fires you start and bandage your burns etc.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Also, remember to have IX-I-I speed dialed into your cell phone so that you can call the real professionals to help put out whatever fires you start and bandage your burns etc.
    Also, don't forget to submit your nomination for this year's Darwin awards..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Why would this be any different than a Class B fire simulator or a Class A Burn?

Forum Member

I have an AAS in Fire Science, and am 6 credits from my B.S. in Public Administration. I am not a stupid man.

I find it funny how you miraculously become an idiot because you donít make $35,000 a year driving a big red truck.

What is the difference between Adam and Jamie, and us? They have 30 years in the special effects business, and a bigger budget.

I do plenty of stupid things, mainly in my interactions with my girlfriend, but I am not stupid around fire. I think this is a doable experiment. I donít see why you all think it isnít.

MembersZone Subscriber

Haligan, I never said you were "ill educated", nor did anyone else. But something we all know and I am sure you would agree, when someone tries to do "this because we saw it on TV", something almost always goes wrong in a very bad way. Usually because you didnt get to see all the prep work and research that went into what ever stunt was being pulled.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Stay safe and best of luck with whatever it is you're trying to do.

Forum Member

I never knew it would take a 500 gallon bambi bucket to put out a grease fire!

Forum Member

I watched it and thought it was very cool and interesting. Now I"m thinking of ways to incorporate some of it into the fire prevention we do here.....

Forum Member

what myth did they check? I missed it.

Forum Member

The myth that dumping 8oz of water on a grease fire will make a 30' fireball.

Forum Member

We have been doing this for awhile now and we call it the "Kitchen Fat Fire Simulator". If i can find some public information that i can link to, i will.

Now i'm assuming that when you say grease, it also means cooking oil. Being in Australia, i have not seen this episode of Mythbusters yet either

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by haligan155 View Post
    I have an AAS in Fire Science, and am 6 credits from my B.S. in Public Administration. I am not a stupid man.
    I know people with AAS, BS, MS, and even PhD after their names... they may be brilliant, but the have no common sense whatsoever.

I find it funny how you miraculously become an idiot because you donít make $35,000 a year driving a big red truck.
    I make a lot more than that, don't drive the BRT and can see why your "experiment" could be flawed.

What is the difference between Adam and Jamie, and us? They have 30 years in the special effects business, and a bigger budget.
    Adam and Jamie do it for a living, have the experience and have a big budget to pay for personnel to stand by if something goes wrong.

I do plenty of stupid things, mainly in my interactions with my girlfriend, but I am not stupid around fire. I think this is a doable experiment. I donít see why you all think it isnít.
    I hope you have good health insurance... and I hope your girlfriend can talk you out of it. Remembering the "Rules of 9's" for assessing burn injuries, you may end up roasting the 1% she is interested in!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information