MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prospective Fire Fighters: Read This...

If you want to be a fire fighter:

DON'T DO DRUGS. EVER.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post

DON'T DO DRUGS. EVER.
    amen brother

Forum Member

Don't get caught doing drugs ever...

Forum Member

Always amazes me how guys come on duty after drinkin till 3 am, still stink,hung over, and immediately assume horizontal recliner mode, and it's ok, even funny.
    But someone smoked pot and they should never test for firefighter?

Pot use ten years ago, or hung over a few shifts a year.
    Which is more dangerous?

Our redneck brethren will scream to high heaven that anyone that used any drugs, ever, is unfit to be a fireman.
    But they have bars in their stations, work hungover, get DUI's.

I wonder how many people out there are workin at the FD right now that have used drugs in the past, and yet, amazingly, are not killing their crews, or stealing supplies, or being general dirtbags.

We might be surprised

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by flipper123 View Post
    Always amazes me how guys come on duty after drinkin till 3 am, still stink,hung over, and immediately assume horizontal recliner mode, and it's ok, even funny.

Which is more dangerous?

Our redneck brethren will scream to high heaven that anyone that used any drugs, ever, is unfit to be a fireman.

I wonder how many people out there are workin at the FD right now that have used drugs in the past, and yet, amazingly, are not killing their crews, or stealing supplies, or being general dirtbags.

We might be surprised
    I have doubts you'll find anyone who advocates no drug use who condones coming in to work drunk, or even hung over.

I can tell you my department doesn't find it funny whatsoever. You come in hungover and you'll likely find yourself sitting somewhere waiting for a UA, hoping you've burned enough that you don't pop up with any in your system.

Forum Member

The point isn't if a joint as a freshman in college makes you unfit to be a firefighter. The point is if it will hurt your chances of getting hired. They are two very different things.

Yes, pot is pretty harmless when used in small amounts rarely and socially in your younger years. Big deal. Its probably less harmful than college binge drinking. Will that have any effect on your performance as a firefighter 6 years later? Probably not. But there will be 1,000 other people who are equally as qualified as you that didn't smoke pot. You instantly fall behind those 1,000 other people. So like George said, if you want a job as a firefighter, or most any other public service job, drug use even if harmless youthful fun, will probably sink you.

I wouldn't have the job I have now if I smoked pot. I could have, plenty of opportunities, and it would have been totally harmless and nothing bad. But I wouldn't have the job I have now because I would have had to say "yes" when asked if I smoked pot in the last X number of years.
    Last edited by nmfire; 10-29-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

For once, I actually agree with George.

The worse part of all of this is that it even as to be said and is not assumed.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The point isn't if a joint as a freshman in college makes you unfit to be a firefighter. The point is if it will hurt your chances of getting hired. They are two very different things.

Yes, pot is pretty harmless when used in small amounts rarely and socially in your younger years. Big deal. Its probably less harmful than college binge drinking. Will that have any effect on your performance as a firefighter 6 years later? Probably not. But there will be 1,000 other people who are equally as qualified as you that didn't smoke pot. You instantly fall behind those 1,000 other people. So like George said, if you want a job as a firefighter, or most any other public service job, drug use even if harmless youthful fun, will probably sink you.

I wouldn't have the job I have now if I smoked pot. I could have, plenty of opportunities, and it would have been totally harmless and nothing bad. But I wouldn't have the job I have now because I would have had to say "yes" when asked if I smoked pot in the last X number of years.
    I wonder where that question was located on the US Presidential candidate questionnaire back in '93??

I guess you can smoke pot once and lead the country, but your chances of running into burning building for a living just go up in smoke.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I agree with George, and yet I also find it hard to completely agree.

The generation that grew up in the 1960's through the 1970's had a high percentage of people that socially smoked pot. Some went heavier into drugs, some became life long pot smokers, and some, for the want of a better term, outgrew it. I think if we wholesale eliminated anyone that ever smoked pot we would lose a HUGE majority of the productive element of our current society.

I am more concerned with the actual drug used and the recency of the use than I am that a 19 year old kid smoked a few joints and then stopped.

As far as guys coming in hung over, I don't find it funny in the least. It is dangerous, not only for the guy hungover, but for everyone else that works with that guy. To me that is a call in sick situation. better to burn a day that cause an injury or death.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by haligan155 View Post
    That's great advice. I feel sorry for your kids.

MembersZone Subscriber

Which is more dangerous?

We might be surprised
    Certainly you are not referring to me as a redneck. We don't have alot of rednecks here in North Jersey.

I never said that using drugs should disqualify someone as being a FF. If I did, please point it out.

But my advice stands. If you never use drugs, you never put yourself in the position of having to explain it. Or worse, having to explain the arrest and conviction you got.

Forum Member

Classic!

(extra letters just to fit minimum post standards)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Glad I don't work for your department. In the 9 years with my department, we had three guys show up like this, and all of them got the opportunity to see how the disciplinary system works in our department, including a visit from law enforcement.

The others made the point. It's not about experimenting 10 years ago, it's about those applicants that never did.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

the 4-1-4

But my advice stands. If you never use drugs, you never put yourself in the position of having to explain it. Or worse, having to explain the arrest and conviction you got.

Maybe my mind is just too simple to have thought this topic any deeper, but this is what I took from the original post.

I wanted this career more than I wanted to smoke a joint. In fact, I wanted this career more than a lot of other things that are superficial.

Besides, once I am able to retire in a few years, I can smoke all the dooby I want to, and still get paid.

Forum Member

I have never used drugs, I have never even smoked a cigarette. But I am not so naÔve to think that it isnít the act, but moreover that act of getting caught.
    Drug use in this country is a bigger problem than you think, and I guarantee you that you know people that either have a drug problem or had a drug problem, and you donít even know it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have never used drugs, I have never even smoked a cigarette. But I am not so naÔve to think that it isnít the act, but moreover that act of getting caught.
    Drug use in this country is a bigger problem than you think, and I guarantee you that you know people that either have a drug problem or had a drug problem, and you donít even know it.
    I was a cop for 20 years and you are telling me that I am naive about this country's drug problem?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

DON'T DO DRUGS. EVER.

And if you do use and do get caught, tough. You knew the rules going in.

Good thread George.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by batchief99 View Post
    And if you do use and do get caught, tough. You knew the rules going in.

Good thread George.
    This is especially true when kids turn 18 and they didn't stop to think that they are not going to kiddie court anymore and, no matter how much Mommy crys, the judge is going to put your *** in jail.

Permanently Removed

And- Future and CURRENT Firefighters- Do NOT drink and drive. Why some still do, I will never know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    And- Future and CURRENT Firefighters- Do NOT drink and drive. Why some still do, I will never know.
    You would think that the average firefighter has peeled enough metal off dead drunks to get the idea that it is not a smart thing to do...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    You would think that the average firefighter has peeled enough metal off dead drunks to get the idea that it is not a smart thing to do...
    Yea you'd think. Its a problem that effects everyone regardless of background. I have no tolerance for it whatsoever.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    It's not the drunks that usually die... It is the innocent people thst usually fall victim in a accident. Drunks are usually so limber they just roll and bounce or whatever they do.

Forum Member

If you substitute marijuana for tobacco and alcohol, you'll add eight to 24 years to your life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ShuckingGome View Post
    If you substitute marijuana for tobacco and alcohol, you'll add eight to 24 years to your life.
    And spending those extra years in prison. Yyyyaaaayyyy!

All three are bad. Ones illegal. Deal with it.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    And spending those extra years in prison. Yyyyaaaayyyy!

All three are bad. Ones illegal. Deal with it.
    Pretty much sums it up right there.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information