Thread: AFA Tornado

Forum Member

Default AFA Tornado

By Log Cabin Democrat
    The Arkansas Fire Academy at Camden was hit by a tornado around 4 p.m. Thursday.

According to Conway Assistant Fire Chief Mike Winter, a Conway fireman at the school has said that no one at the academy seems to have been hurt.

Weve got one guy down there and what he told us was the engine bays gone, all the cars in the parking lot moved around and flipped over, and a couple of roofs on the buildings at the actual academy have been blown off, Winter said. Its my understanding that ... they were running the fire academy students the sirens were going off and they were running them down the hallway trying to get them into a bathroom and they didnt make it and they ended up shoving them into a classroom right before it hit.

Early Adopter

From the video and from what I'm hearing from others, the apparatus bay (with three pumpers inside) is obviously destroyed and the roof is missing off part of the classroom building. They just started a rookie class this week or last down there, so it's a great thing everyone escaped without serious injury. I don't know about the apparatus. One pumper looks like it fared okay in the video. The other looks like it took some body damage at minimum.

KATV, Channel 7 has raw video of the damage online:
    http://cfc.katv.com/videoondemand.cfm?id=51721

Forum Member

Default F2

Prelim it was an F2 that hit it...

Early Adopter

Just talked to a guy who has seen the campus. Here is the run down...

Classroom building - Roof missing in places. Trashed inside.
    Fire station - Demolished.
    Two-story burn building - Mostly cosmetic damage.
    Single-story burn building - Structural & roof damage.
    Smoke house - Demolished.
    Drill tower - Unknown. May have structural damage.
    LP gas props - Demolished.

It's going to be a long road to rebuild the facility, but since no one was hurt (I believe in miracles)... this tornado may be a good thing in the end.

Forum Member

It's going to be a long road to rebuild the facility, but since no one was hurt (I believe in miracles)... this tornado may be a good thing in the end.

Very true... I was up there about year ago and the 2 story burn building was real rough... Heck it was rough when I went there back in July 2000...

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by TAFDTruck5FF View Post
    Very true... I was up there about year ago and the 2 story burn building was real rough... Heck it was rough when I went there back in July 2000...
    The two-story burn building was completely renovated this summer. All of the walls were removed (it looked like a parking deck). New walls were installed inside to better divide the building into corridors and rooms. The exterior concrete walls were replaced also.

Earlier this year, the AFA also constructed a pretty extensive LP gas area with Christmas tree, burn pan, dumpster prop and a couple of vehicle fire props. That area is completely destroyed. (In fact, I've been told the dumpster was sucked up and has not been located. )

Early Adopter

These photos are from SAU Tech's Facebook page, where many more photos are posted of damage from the fire academy and SAU Tech's main campus.

Last edited by cozmosis; 11-05-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Corrected Facebook URL

Forum Member

Looks pretty rough.

Bossier Parish EMS built a brand new admin and vehicle maint facility in March. It was totaled out by an F2 as well yet the ratty 30-year old fire district station standing next to it didn't suffer a dent.

Forum Member

Dang that's bad. Very lucky no one was killed... Heck if it had been just the one main building like we had in 2000 don't think the out come would have been good seeing how the roof is complete gone and it would have took the full force of the tornado.

The 2 story burnbuilding looks good heck it had so many holes in wall and windows that wouldn't shut we couldn't keep the smoke inside... Not sure if they still do now but back then they kept the hay in back corner room of that building we got one fire so hot that set it on fire unknown to us until PD called it in... Needless to say it was very long night and very long day. We then moved all the hay down to awning down by pond. Looks like the 5 story did well also. I got to learn every step of that building first week of Driver training and that you had better wear your seat belt otherwise it was 10 tours and you had to step on every step with both feet.

The good ole days...

Thread Information