Forum Member

Default Opinions on this tool?

Came across this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-MADE-FIRE...item20ac13a9d3

It seems like a nice idea. And the price is reasonable considering what buying a pair of Channellock pliers and a 4-1 screwdriver costs and this can do more then both. Or is this thing overkill? Opinions?

He has another version as well, the difference being a gas shutoff tool vs a hydrant wrench. Although, why would you need a gas shutoff tool built into a pair of adjustable pliers? You could just use the pliers to do shut off the gas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-FIREFIGHT...item20ad32391a
    Last edited by WD6956; 10-31-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Forum Member

My guess it that it would work okay for application where you would use a pair of pliers. The spanner attachment might work okay as well.

Other than that:

1. Using either of the screwdrivers would be easier with a regular screwdriver.

2. The striking surface is not flat and would be difficult to get any blow of reasonable force.

3. The hydrant adapter is designed for that departments plugs. It may or may not fit yours, it definately will not fit ours. Even it did fit, it would be a humongous pain in the *** to turn a hydrant with it.

Just my opinion, but let us know if you try it out.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    3. The hydrant adapter is designed for that departments plugs. It may or may not fit yours, it definately will not fit ours. Even it did fit, it would be a humongous pain in the *** to turn a hydrant with it.
    Yup. I agree, I would like to see you turn our hydrants with this thing.

Looks very cheaply made. I wouldn't buy it. I keep lineman's pliers and a gerber tool in my pocket, there isn't a situation I have not been able to handle yet!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

The hydrant nut part is throwing me off too. Aside from the obvious where it may not fit the hydrants you deal with, i just cannot see you getting much torque out of those small handles. I could see it being used to take caps off, but i cannot see why you would even need it to open a hydrant valve.

His suggestion that if it does not fit your hydrant you may need to do some grinding is laughable. I could imagine spending hours with a Dremel tool and a hundred mini grinding wheels trying to enlarge the opening.

I do like the spanner portion. With Channel lock now making two types or rescue cutters, i am surprised they have not made a pair of their slip joints with a spanner tool built in and the cylinder tools already built into the handles. But maybe they are someday.

Banned

Just another gizmo, never seen any of those things hold up. If the screw tips aren't welded in they fall out, if they are welded in so they don't fall out they become useless when the bits fail. The welds look pretty crappy too.

Forum Member

Looks like a peice of junk set of dollar store pliars with some shatty welding. I will pass.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    His suggestion that if it does not fit your hydrant you may need to do some grinding is laughable. I could imagine spending hours with a Dremel tool and a hundred mini grinding wheels trying to enlarge the opening.
    Ha! I didn't see that. Considering we use square operating nuts, that would be quite a chore.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

it looks like a pretty whackerish kind of tool.

I can carry channel locks and screw drivers and do most of the functions better than this gizmo. And if I need to do something else, I can get the right tool off the truck. Infact my channel locks and screw drivers can do 9 of the functions. The striking surface I'm on the fence for because I don't see a need to do it, but I could probably do it if needed. The spanner and hydrant shut off I can't do with my tools. However I couldn't turn a hydrant off with with this one for reasons already mentioned. I'm not a lazy slob, so I can walk to the truck to get a spanner wrench. I can even use some foresight and put the spanner in my pocket if I think I'll need it in the near future.

Forum Member

The comment on the eBay page about this tool being as cool as an iPhone or whatever made me laugh out loud.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Back In Black

If it wasn't made in shop class, it might fly.

I don't carry that much to begin with, so I'm not really tempted.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Hmm............

The only tool I carry is a Radio, All other Tools can be ordered thru the radio...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    The only tool I carry is a Radio, All other Tools can be ordered thru the radio...........
    Ha, that was a good one Harve!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't have to call the guys on the truck names....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

This thing cracks me up.

Half the tools are redundant.

Gas Valve Tool, Oxygen Valve Tool....

I have a pair of plain channel lock pliers, if I have to shut off the gas....I would just use my freaking pliers . Why add more tools to the pliers, if the pliers can do the job to begin with.

Here is what I use: I have an old piece of 2 1/2 inch hose that is bend over itself and held together with an electrical tie. I use that as a pocket organizer, I think I originally saw it on vententersearch.com. I keep 1 flat head, 1 phillips head, and 1 pair of channel lock pliers and wire cutters. That setup has served me fine.

I found a picture of the "pocket protector" that I use:

Works better than any "commercial" organizer that you can buy. And the hose is pretty snug, so nothing falls out of it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Default ????

If I had this tool I'd use it as a paper weight....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

If I had this tool, I'd use it to touch myself while watching Backdraft and Ladder 49 while wearing my "I fight what you fear" t-shirt. Then go to mcdonalds with my pager on full volume and get in a verbal confrontation with the manager after it goes off and disturbs the store.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Half the tools are redundant.

Gas Valve Tool, Oxygen Valve Tool....

I have a pair of plain channel lock pliers, if I have to shut off the gas....I would just use my freaking pliers . Why add more tools to the pliers, if the pliers can do the job to begin with..
    That was my main issue. Especially on the version with the gas shutoff built in. Makes no sense at all. The only thing i really liked about it was the built in spanner wrench. That i think is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Here is what I use: I have an old piece of 2 1/2 inch hose that is bend over itself and held together with an electrical tie. I use that as a pocket organizer, I think I originally saw it on vententersearch.com. I keep 1 flat head, 1 phillips head, and 1 pair of channel lock pliers and wire cutters. That setup has served me fine.

I found a picture of the "pocket protector" that I use:

Works better than any "commercial" organizer that you can buy. And the hose is pretty snug, so nothing falls out of it.
    I too saw that section on VES and liked the idea. Before i set out to make one, a quick search on Ebay turned up a firefighter making them already. And at $9.99 each, it was not even worth tracking down a piece of hose and then using duct tape to make it work. His are rivited and and have a snap. Really niceley made. I bought one awhile back and people keep asking where i got it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hose-Pouch-Firef...item2c5117bafd

Forum Member

I've always found that tools that try to "do it all" usually end up doing nothing well. That's my impression of this item. Good intentions, good in theory, but not really practical in the end...like quints and rescue pumpers.

Cogs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPCogs08 View Post
    I've always found that tools that try to "do it all" usually end up doing nothing well. That's my impression of this item. Good intentions, good in theory, but not really practical in the end...like quints and rescue pumpers.

Cogs
    Jack of all trades, master of none..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I too saw that section on VES and liked the idea. Before i set out to make one, a quick search on Ebay turned up a firefighter making them already. And at $9.99 each, it was not even worth tracking down a piece of hose and then using duct tape to make it work. His are rivited and and have a snap. Really niceley made. I bought one awhile back and people keep asking where i got it.
    His is a lot better looking than mine, that's for sure. We always have some sections of out of service hose laying around, so it was a quick 5 minute project for me. But looks like that guy found himself a good market.

Forum Member

Ditto Harve.. roger that!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a nice "do it all" tool that really works. The signature on it is "Hugh Halligan".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503 View Post
    I have a nice "do it all" tool that really works. The signature on it is "Hugh Halligan".

You should really file that off before he finds out you stole his tool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    If I had this tool, I'd use it to touch myself while watching Backdraft and Ladder 49 while wearing my "I fight what you fear" t-shirt. Then go to mcdonalds with my pager on full volume and get in a verbal confrontation with the manager after it goes off and disturbs the store.
    LMAO... You speak from exp?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503 View Post
    If you have a halligan bar with the engraved Hugh Halligan signature, you better not be using it, as it should be in a glass case.....The last one I saw on eBay went for about 800 bucks.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information