Forum Member

Default Bullard, built in helmet light/ low profile

A Heiman rep stopped by my house Thursday carrying this new helmet with shield. I picked it up and then noticed it had a built in low profile light system built into the helmet just across and above the eyebrows.

Have tried the light attachements on my helmet before and encountered all kinds of problems. My own headlamp will not allow me to raise the shield and was about to remove the shield and use goggles instead. I am so used to using a headlamp for everything and I mean everything.

I must say I haven't seen one like this before and believe its about time for something like this. Everywhere you would turn your head you would have a beam of light. I did not however get to see it light up, but it was impressive.

Has anyone ever used one of these new helmets and what did you think?

Forum Member

We were just discussing this new Bullard item in another thread. The system is known as TrakLite and seems like an interesting idea. But it's so new that as of now, their seems to be too many unknowns. Bullard's website does not adress any of the fairly important issue regarding this system.

What is the light output in Lumens? That info is probably the most important. How a manufacturer in this day and age can offer a lighting device with no mention of output to means one of two things. 1, The companies advertising department is clueless or 2, The output is so low, they do not want to advertise it. A google search turned up a company selling them and they claim the light output is 38 lumens. If that is correct, that is not much light at all. The price, which i cannot find online for the TrakLite alone will really be the deciding factor on whether it's worth it. You can get a light like the Streamlight Vantage which is 80 lumens for under a hundred bucks. And a Vantage will work with any helmet without having to modify anything.

What is the beam pattern?. They are not the C4 type LED's, so is it going to be seperate hotspots? or one large oval?

They make this statement on the info page:

"with a runtime of at least six continuous hours at a minimum brightness level of 50%. "

That is vauge. Why are they mentioning things like "minimum brightness levels" when they do not even list what the maximum brightness level is? How long will it run at full power?

While it seems like a nice idea, untill i see one in person, it is just too gimicky to me.

Forum Member

I just saw one in person today!

My local dealer has one. Overall, the idea is cool. Totally self contained and no wires, clamps or anything else to snag or get knocked off. The battery pack is mounted under the rear brim and is aout the size of a pack of cigarettes. It has a large round power switch you could handle with gloves.

As i had guessed, it is not that bright compared to many of the popular helmet lights. The beam is not bad. Overall, if i was issued it, i would not complain. But i would not buy one.

Thread Information