Forum Member

Default Family minivan advice needed!

Ok I need opinions here...

We are looking to buy a new minivan. We had our choices narrowed down to a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey. However the wife's friend has thrown a monkey wrench into the works and has whispered into my wife's ears about how she loves her Kia Sedona. Anybody have one? What do you think? I looked at the website and it seems that we could get a comparable Sedona to the Honda and Toyotas we have been looking at for substantially cheaper.

Opinions?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

My mother had a Honda Ody and loved it. It was a very good vehicle and had very few problems even though it was driven all across the US multiple times. The Toyota and Honda are both expensive vehicles, but I believe you do get what you pay for. On the other hand, my friend has one of the Kia sedans and it is a really nice vehicle. I would definitely give the Sedona a good look just for the drastic savings as long as it has the stuff you're looking for.

Forum Member

I have quite a few friends who own both Siennas and Odysseys. I would have no problem buying either right now, it would all come down to the dealer and how much he is willing to sharpen the pencil.

The Kia, on the other hand, I know nothing about.

Forum Member

I have two detailing clients with minivans. One has a Toyota Sienna, the other one has an Odyssey.

I have driven both, they are nice as far as minivans go.

Here is Edmunds.com's review of the Sedona
    Quote:
    http://www.edmunds.com/kia/sedona/2009/review.html
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thanks Gonz. Seems to me, from what I have read so far, that I really need to give the Kia some serious consideration.

MembersZone Subscriber

Which one will come with a free soccer mom sticker for the back window?

Go with that one!

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

My wife had a Sienna. It was cheaper then the Honda. She loved it. No problems at all. Rode more like a car than any of the other mini-vans we had. I'm not saying anything bad about the other two, just that we had a great experience with the Sienna.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the Oddyssey (08), I love it. She loves it. Honda is very well established, ad this is our second of their vehicles. We are quite happy.

Ours has the leather seats, backup camera, entertainment system, power doors on both sides etc. Its super functional.

Banned

How about supporting Americans - Ford -Gm - Chrysler . Somebody has to pay those high Union wages.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    How about supporting Americans - Ford -Gm - Chrysler . Somebody has to pay those high Union wages.
    Toyota Sienna: Assembled in Princeton, Indiana. No US Government bailout required.

Honda Odyssey: Assembled in Lincoln, Alabama. No US Government bailout required.

Kia Sedona: Assembled in South Korea. No US Government bailout required.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by ScareCrow57
    Posted by FWD
    Toyota Sienna: Assembled in Princeton, Indiana. No US Government bailout required.

Honda Odyssey: Assembled in Lincoln, Alabama. No US Government bailout required.

Kia Sedona: Assembled in South Korea. No US Government bailout required.
    FYI strawbrain...

Ford didn't take any bailout money.. and they no longer build minivans.
    GM did.. and they no longer build minivans, either.
    Chrysler is the only domestic car maker that still builds a minivan.

FWD asked for advice from intelligent people, not some moron with a stick up his arse.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Why are you guys still wasting time on an unadulterated troll?

Forum Member

In the last 24 hours however, I have done quite a bit of research on the Kia Sedona. Seems to be a solid vehicle, with standards and options closely comparable to the Sienna and Odyssey. The only bad point right now that I don't like is the fact that it is built in South Korea. Am looking for anyone who may currently have one that could lend their opinion of it. I would prefer to buy something built in the US (yeah yeah I know all the components are made in Mexico....) but since the costs versus the other two vehicles are substantial, I would be a fool not to look into it. And if anyone wants to bitch at me for not buying "USA", my answer to them is "The US Gov't caused the current financial crisis which makes me have spend each and every dollar I earn very wisely. So when the US Gov't fixes the situation, I will then buy something just because it is made in the USA."

Oh, and by the way STRAWBRAIN.....You may as well save your fingers and not even type another response in here. I value your input or opinion about as much as I do used toilet paper.

Forum Member

Well, Kia has come a long way in the past 20 years since they began importing their cars.

The family has 2 Siennas and one Odyssey in it and they are fine. But Toyota is the only one with an all-wheel drive option so you living in PA, depending on how bad the snow is in the area (and the obligatory female driver in the vehicle....your wife) this may be an important thing in a vehicle for you.

Also, read the Consumer Reports review of the car - it did not come all that close to near-tie that the Sienna and Odyssey have had for the past several years. You should also review how the vehicle compares on all the vehicle sites. Check out vehix, MSN Autos, and all the others - including trade in values since that will show you what problems the cars have had.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Our training chief is on his second Kia. He bought his frist one and loved it. He then traded it for a new on a couple of years later and has had this one for 3 or 4 years. He still swears by them. He has said that his next family wagon will be another Kia.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its too bad Ford and GM don't make mini vans anymore. We wore out 2 Fords and a Chev when the kids were growing up, chasing to hockey, swimming, baseball etc. Over 300,000 k on each one with very little trouble.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Its too bad Ford and GM don't make mini vans anymore. We wore out 2 Fords and a Chev when the kids were growing up, chasing to hockey, swimming, baseball etc. Over 300,000 k on each one with very little trouble.
    Well they built a quality product and had to charge the price for it. They also had to support high union wages. Its another case of American people wanting high wages but they aren't willing to pay the high wages. American consumers flocked to the cheaper junk coming out of of South East Asia. And the wonder why our economy is in the toilet

MembersZone Subscriber

Well they built a quality product and had to charge the price for it. They also had to support high union wages. Its another case of American people wanting high wages but they aren't willing to pay the high wages. American consumers flocked to the cheaper junk coming out of of South East Asia. And the wonder why our economy is in the toilet
    In Canada, Honda and Toyota were always more expensive. The Big 3 were always the most popular in the mini van line here. In Western Canada, Asian imports have never gone over too well. Alberta and Saskatchewan as well as most of BC outside Vancouver are full size and or truck country.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I vote for the Odysee as well. Its a bit of a gas pig (HUGE fuel tank) but it rides and drives very well; also good in snow/inclement weather conditions. The cargo/passenger space is great too, and comfortable on long trips, unlike most other mini-vans.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Friends have both Hondas and Toyotas and they are tanks. Run solid, few if any minor problems that any vehicle would have. A few others have Kia sedans and haven't had any complaints but I don't know anyone with the minivans. Like anything else go run one around and kick the tires on all 3. Even better run them up and down the NE Extension for the suspension check, I know the stretch between the Blue Route and Lansdale is still rough as anything from the last trip up there to dad's place.

And I'm still so glad my wife hates minivans. The next family-mobile we're getting is the 4 door Wrangler.

Forum Member

Kia (and Hyundai) have been building some very well regarded and VERY competively priced vehicle. I had a Kia (Ford) in early 90s. Reliable well put together econobox. They have gone substantially upscale since then.

If it makes you feel better Kia has a brand new plant in Ga.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/10/...n-america.html

Forum Member

Well they built a quality product and had to charge the price for it.
    But the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna outperformed, outsold GM, Ford, and Chrysler for years. And have bee fairly evenly priced

They also had to support high union wages.
    That is the Big 3's own fault. And the Union's fault. Though neither will accept blame for their own stupidity and culpability.

Its another case of American people wanting high wages but they aren't willing to pay the high wages.
    Not if they can find a comparably priced vehicle that is built better and stronger, and will last longer and retain its value better (with a higher NHTSA and IIHS safety rating.) It is why I own a Toyota 4Runner and not a Trailblazer, Durango, or Explorer.

American consumers flocked to the cheaper junk coming out of of South East Asia.
    Yeah, for the above mentioned reasons. The Big 3 screwed themselves 30 years ago and people saw better cars and products. I am all for buying things made in my country - but you damned well better EARN my money. Just because you put a "Made in the USA" sticker on it does not mean you automatically earn my money.

Hell, I pretty much refuse to ride or buy any other mountain bike than my Cannondale (designed in CT, made in PA - by hand) because for a bit more coin I get a better made product than almost anything out there in the market. I prefer Dunham and Chippewa boots for the same reason - although Chippewa does make a large percentage of their boots overseas, I will only but the ones made in the US, because they are better boots than the cheap shyte you can get at Wal-Mart. Again - they EARNED my money.

And the wonder why our economy is in the toilet
    There are many reasons for this, and you know as well as I do that me buying a vehicle made in Japan has NOTHING to do with the reasons that the economy is in the dumper. They may have contributed to the failure of Chrysler and GM, but have little to do with the overall economy. Don't be disengenuous.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Shark, why do you bother? Chalk up another good thread hijacked by the troll.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    But the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna outperformed, outsold GM, Ford, and Chrysler for years. And have bee fairly evenly priced

That is the Big 3's own fault. And the Union's fault. Though neither will accept blame for their own stupidity and culpability.

Not if they can find a comparably priced vehicle that is built better and stronger, and will last longer and retain its value better (with a higher NHTSA and IIHS safety rating.) It is why I own a Toyota 4Runner and not a Trailblazer, Durango, or Explorer.

Yeah, for the above mentioned reasons. The Big 3 screwed themselves 30 years ago and people saw better cars and products. I am all for buying things made in my country - but you damned well better EARN my money. Just because you put a "Made in the USA" sticker on it does not mean you automatically earn my money.

Hell, I pretty much refuse to ride or buy any other mountain bike than my Cannondale (designed in CT, made in PA - by hand) because for a bit more coin I get a better made product than almost anything out there in the market. I prefer Dunham and Chippewa boots for the same reason - although Chippewa does make a large percentage of their boots overseas, I will only but the ones made in the US, because they are better boots than the cheap shyte you can get at Wal-Mart. Again - they EARNED my money.

There are many reasons for this, and you know as well as I do that me buying a vehicle made in Japan has NOTHING to do with the reasons that the economy is in the dumper. They may have contributed to the failure of Chrysler and GM, but have little to do with the overall economy. Don't be disengenuous.
    All very good points. My point is Americans want the big wages but don't have the balls to support the big wages. A had a Honda civic a few years ago, the thing was absolute junk. After just a couple of years stuff started falling off and breaking. I found that the GM and Ford products outlasted the foreign machines all the time.

But the other thing is, I read this this thread and notice not one person has pointed to the obvious answer. Go to Edmunds.com. They review the cars and tell you how much you should pay for the vehicle of your dreams.

Forum Member

I had a Honda civic a few years ago, the thing was absolute junk. After just a couple of years stuff started falling off and breaking. I found that the GM and Ford products outlasted the foreign machines all the time.
    And I can say the same for the Oldsmobile, Chevy, GMC, and Dodge that I owned before buying my current vehicles. Between my current Toyota and Subaru I have had fewer problems than with either of the aforementioned cars.

Go to Edmunds.com. They review the cars and tell you how much you should pay for the vehicle of your dreams.
    There are far better sites to use than Edmunds. Edmunds' pruces should be used in conjunction with other sites. Hell, you can get a car for invoice price using Sam's Club, Costco, or BJ's buying service. Vehix, Consumer Reports, Carsdirect.com, and Credit Union Direct Lending all have similar features. You can also use MSN Auto and a variety of other sites to compare the vehicle and read reviews - let alone car magazines which would probably be less beholded to the auto makers.

Thread Information