Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default "Two Buddies and a Bomb" safety documentary about 2 Langford teens & their pipebomb

Saw this on the 11 o'clock news ... gruesome coverage of their injuries.

Film recounts grisly brush with bomb

Documentary on Langford teens to be offered to schools next year
    By Joanne Hatherly, Times Colonist
    October 29, 2009
    StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Andrew Naysmith hopes Two Buddies and a Bomb, about two Langford teens who lost fingers in an explosion, becomes the new standard for firework-safety films.
    Photograph by: Debra Brash, Times Colonist, Times Colonist

This is not your old high school's safety film.

This week, Victoria filmmaker Andrew Naysmith will release a 12-minute documentary called Two Buddies and a Bomb that he and the B.C. Professional Firefighters Burn Fund hope becomes the new standard for firework-safety films.

The documentary is based on the true story of two Langford teens, Jerrod and Troy, who asked that their last names not be published.

"Everyone remembers the old film. It was always the same, a guy in a white coat, some sketches, a scarecrow with fireworks going off on it," Naysmith said.

The story of Jerrod and Troy begins on a Halloween five years ago, when the then 16-year-olds arrived at a construction site near Happy Valley Road carrying a homemade pipe bomb.

They had built the bomb by filling a copper pipe with explosives pulled from several fireworks. As the boys bent the ends of the pipe, the device exploded in their hands.

The force of the explosion imbedded shrapnel in Jerrod, peeled the flesh off his left thumb, exposing the bone, and blew away several fingers.

With every beat of his heart, blood sprayed from the stumps where his fingers had been.

"We just saw a white light, and there was this loud whining sound," said Jerrod, now a 21-year-old trained driller and blaster.

"When I could see again, I realized Troy's hand, a good chunk of it, was gone. I told him, don't look at your hand, buddy, we're gonna get you help."

He was shocked when Troy said the same words to him. Jerrod was unaware of the extent of his injuries and that he was losing blood quickly.

The boys staggered to a nearby house for help.

Naysmith met the boys in hospital and later filmed them as their bandages came off.

The documentary moves at machine-gun clip. The images are graphic, meant to hit home to the intended audience of youths aged 12 and over.

Victoria firefighter Greg Batters, who has been a firefighter for 16 years, said the most intense scene is when the boys see their mangled hands as the bandages come off.

"They're big strong guys, and they're whimpering," Batters said. "One says he just wants his hand back."

Jerrod, who endured two surgeries and 18 months of physiotherapy, said the teens "wanted to see a bigger explosion than we had ever seen.

"We were young -- we thought we were invincible."

Five years later, he still suffers from hearing loss, can't make a fist and has constant pain in his hand.

The film will be offered to schools across the province for the 2010/11 school year, and may be available across Canada at a later date.

jhatherly@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Beavis and Butthead. You can't fix stupid!!

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I used to work as an explosives chemist, working with "improvised" devices and materials. It is absolutely insane what some of these kids come up with, or what they'll do, usually with something they "discovered" on the Internet. Many of them think they're going to make some "uber-explosive" by combining stuff, and end up making some chemical mess that nobody knows how to handle.

Sounds like a good film. Maybe it'll help prevent some teenybombers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

"We just saw a white light, and there was this loud whining sound," said Jerrod, now a 21-year-old trained driller and blaster.
    Apparently he put his experience to good use?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Apparently he put his experience to good use?
    Yes and I bet hes the most safety concious guy out there too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Yes and I bet hes the most safety concious guy out there too.
    Some people are just idiots who never learn from their mistakes.

Some people make a horrible mistake, and they carry the lessons learned with them for the rest of their lives.

Hopefully he is the second type.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Some people are just idiots who never learn from their mistakes.

Some people make a horrible mistake, and they carry the lessons learned with them for the rest of their lives.

Hopefully he is the second type.
    Well Markus, if he's not, that is not going to be a very long time.

Thread Information