MembersZone Subscriber

Question Light or no lights?

I guys, I work for a college. We have our own HazMat Team that works with the town and state and we do have a fire response person who respond to all calls and lets the town FD know if we need them and what the situation is. All of our staff is call fire fighters or full time fire fighters in a town near by. We are expected to arrive on scene ASAP and get the FD a situation report or get our Hazmat team mo moving. My question is we have always had light in our vehicles till a year ago. Now or primary response truck dose not have lights. Do you think not having lights in our situation is good or, do you think it is more dangerous? Keep in mind we have thousands of students trying to cross the streets and we also must respond to MVC with our primary piece as it has all the speedy dry and stuff in. Thank you for your input!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well it's certainly your departments decision but if it were up to me I would definitely want lights on the vehicle especially if your going to be on the scene of MVA's. I think that it's just common sense that your vehicle can never be visible enough to the dumb drivers we deal with these days.

Forum Member

The major issue would be if your response vehicle qualifies as an emergency vehicle.

Forum Member

I have to agree with nameless on the vehicle classification. The other would be, does it have a siren. If it does, then you should have lights to go with it.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

In any case at least get amber lights!

Forum Member

Yea, even the street department has amber lights.

Your college may be looking at liability issues, but they have to look at it both ways.

Pretty much, our state fire marshal determines if your vehicle qualifies as an emergency vehicle and issues you a permit for "a red light and audible signal."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eppc4u View Post
    I guys, I work for a college. We have our own HazMat Team that works with the town and state and we do have a fire response person who respond to all calls and lets the town FD know if we need them and what the situation is. All of our staff is call fire fighters or full time fire fighters in a town near by. We are expected to arrive on scene ASAP and get the FD a situation report or get our Hazmat team mo moving. My question is we have always had light in our vehicles till a year ago. Now or primary response truck dose not have lights. Do you think not having lights in our situation is good or, do you think it is more dangerous? Keep in mind we have thousands of students trying to cross the streets and we also must respond to MVC with our primary piece as it has all the speedy dry and stuff in. Thank you for your input!

No lights drive with care. I see no need in using them.

Remember, when the garbage man comes around the corner and see a trash can, he does not get excited, so why should you get excited when you have a fire or a haz mat situation??

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No lights drive with care. I see no need in using them.

Remember, when the garbage man comes around the corner and see a trash can, he does not get excited, so why should you get excited when you have a fire or a haz mat situation??

I see what your saying but were not just talking about responding. Once on scene, especially an MVA, it's a safety issue and lights definitely add to firefighter safety.

Forum Member

Just curious, why did yall take your lights off?

Thread Information