Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Denver-2010 hiring process

This application process seems like it came out of nowhere.

Who got their app. in on-time this morning? It looks like about 1092 test appointment slots filled up in less than an hour!

Good luck, everyone.

Got mine.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you didn't get one though. At their last testing in '07 I didn't get a slot and had to show up in person on the date for walk-ins, and there were 10 walk-ins in front of me and I still got in.

It did sort of come out of no where though. The only reason I knew about it is because I was part of last years testing. After they told me they weren't doing an academy for last years list they told me when testing for '10 would be starting. Think they felt sorry for putting us through all that crap and not having any academies.

Best of luck to you too!
    Last edited by yjbrody64; 11-02-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Speeling Arror... ;)

Forum Member

So if they didn't have any academies last year I'm hoping that means they will at least have one this coming year? Anyone know if this is true or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mleidigh View Post
    So if they didn't have any academies last year I'm hoping that means they will at least have one this coming year? Anyone know if this is true or not?
    I would think [read *hope*] so, but Denver's not immune to the tough economy. I heard that their firefighters voted to take a pay decrease in lieu of having to do layoffs, but I don't know if that's true for sure. Sure doesn't sound promising though.

Forum Member

I'm set to test on January 28th. About half of the time slots were already filled when I registered fifteen minutes after it opened.
    Anyone have additional information about the testing/recruiting process that everyone here might find helpful? Possibly someone who's been through it? According to the information posted with the job description, it looks like those of us from out of town had better start putting money away into a travel fund in order to make multiple trips out there.
    Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by JDKauffy View Post
    it looks like those of us from out of town had better start putting money away into a travel fund in order to make multiple trips out there.
    I'd say you have the right idea. I remember going to Denver 5-6 separate times. I got lucky and was able to schedule my poly and psych on the same day (talk about being on edge for a solid 6 hours ).

But their process isn't all that different from other cities: written, written psych, poly, psych interview, background packet (this is a mother. 35 pgs? so get ready to dig up some old old stuff about employers, teachers, etc), background investigator, CPAT (they won't take others so even if you have a valid one you'll take theirs).

Definately, one of the harder application processes that I've gone though for sure, well... minus the CPAT.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if already having your EMT-B or a Bachelor's degree will help at all with getting hired on?

Forum Member

So im in Iraq, and didn't get a chance to register for testing. does that mean i'm out of luck, or do they have walk in days?

Does anyone know if already having your EMT-B or a Bachelor's degree will help at all with getting hired on?
    Just my opinion, but EMT-B probably not so much. Think a lot of applicants already have that. I would *guess* that the BA or BS might only become a factor later on in the process, but it can't hurt. For the first couple steps like the written and written sutability (I think they called it), not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    So im in Iraq, and didn't get a chance to register for testing. does that mean i'm out of luck, or do they have walk in days?
    They have walk in dates, but you have to apply/register for those just like the assigned slots. I just checked their website for the link to apply as a walk-in and didn't see it anymore. Maybe i'm overlooking it or they are doing things differently this year, but I think you're out of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

My buddy is on with DFD, he said they were going to do an academy end of summer-ish.

Forum Member

I'm also looking for more info on the Denver hiring process if anybody has any input. I live in Az and true travel expenses will be a major issue. Does anybody know how many they are hiring? are there 2000 applicants for 2 spots? Does it hurt that I am an "out-of-stater" and can't do ride alongs with Denver???

Any helps would be awesome.

Thanks

Chris

Forum Member

Question to everyone. Where did you read or hear about these time slots having to be filled? I never heard anything about it until I read this post. I applied months ago and never heard anything of this filing on the 2nd. Now do I just show up on any day of the test early to try and get a walk in slot?

What exactly do you mean by

I applied months ago and never heard anything of this filing on the 2nd.
    There was nothing to apply to until they opened it up this past Nov 2nd.

Now do I just show up on any day of the test early to try and get a walk in slot?
    I know that I had to register as a walk-in applicant last time around, but that was 2 years ago so the process is a little fuzzy.

I also recall a link that was available for a short time after all the scheduled time slots were gone for this testing, where you could submit your info as a walk-in, but just not have to pick a date. I know because I checked for someone else on this forum. That link is gone now, so maybe they aren't accepting any more walk-ins?

Prob best to contact the commision just to make sure though.

You can check out their walk-in dates here. It's the red dates (go figure).

http://www.denvergov.org/civilservic...5/Default.aspx

It's pretty much most of Jan and Feb. Maybe you can find some answers there too.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCut View Post
    Does anybody know how many they are hiring? are there 2000 applicants for 2 spots? Does it hurt that I am an "out-of-stater" and can't do ride alongs with Denver???
    As I recall, they made 1092 slots available for people to sign up for, but I haven't heard anything about how many they are going to be needing. I honestly don't think they know. I think at this point, their main concern is just getting through the testing.

As for ride alongs, I don't believe those are available for their applicants, and are only available to their explorers according to what I was able to find on their website.

MembersZone Subscriber

The last that I heard and read about with the commission meetings is that all academy's (police and fire) were canceled until Summer 2011 due to budget reasons. They have not run an academy for DFD since early 2008. I know that the Commission Director is pushing to have a full academy for the next class (i.e. 28-34 people) but again this depends on the budget projections.

Quote Originally Posted by APiernot View Post
    all academy's (police and fire) were canceled until Summer 2011 due to budget reasons.
    Yup, I just read some similar info. All 2010 academies are cancelled. Awesome... What's another year of waiting right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    Yup, I just read some similar info. All 2010 academies are cancelled. Awesome... What's another year of waiting right?
    Where are you guys reading this? Not good news at all. Another year of waiting? I guess I'll head off to medic school then...

Where are you guys reading this? Not good news at all. Another year of waiting? I guess I'll head off to medic school then...
    I read it in their 2010 budget plan. Things could change, but for now it doesn't look good for any of us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    I read it in their 2010 budget plan. Things could change, but for now it doesn't look good for any of us.
    http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/9/d...blicSafety.pdf

This is the link to the Budget with the information about the academies being canceled. Bad times, I must say. Fingers are crossed for an early academy in 2011.

Forum Member

I'm unfamiliar with Denver's normal recruiting process...does this mean that the results from this upcoming 2010 testing process will be held over until 2011 in the form of an eligibility list, or do they test yearly regardless of whether or not they plan on putting a recruit class together in that given year?

Thread Information