Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H e l p n o w

Default H e l p n o w

On November 18th, 2009 The FealGood Foundation, The NYC Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation & a coalition of September 11 heroes, along with our elected officials from across our nation will hold a rally at the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C to urge Congressional leaders to bring the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2009 (H.R. 847 and S. 1334) to the floors of the House and Senate for a vote this year. This bill will provide comprehensive health care and compensation for thousands of ailing 9/11 heroes. Caring for Americans with 9/11-related illnesses is not just a New York issue. According to the federally-funded World Trade Center Health Registry, people from all 50 states and 431 of 435 Congressional districts nationwide were in lower Manhattan on or after 9/11 and now have serious concerns about their health. Unfortunately, the federal response to this health emergency has been inadequate and disappointing because of significant funding delays, and a lack of organization and attention to the 9/11 health crisis by the previous administrationís health agencies. Last month, the nation observed the eighth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. On this yearís anniversary and the seven that preceded it, we heard many heartfelt and touching tributes to the heroism of the men and women who rushed to Ground Zero to help save the lives of others. But this year, we need more than just speeches and tributes Ė we need concrete action by Congress to give the heroes and heroines of 9/11 the health care and compensation they need and deserve. It is truly the least this great nation can do.

Please join us on November 18th! Rally for 9/11 Health Care West lawn of the U.S. Capitol November 18, 2009 11.00am-2.00pm
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Q : What is being addressed at November 18th rally?
    A: We will rally to demand the passage of HR 847 " The James Zadroga September 11 Health and Compensation Act"

Q: What is HR 847 " The James Zadroga Health and Compensation Act"?
    A: HR 847 is a $10 Billion Dollar Bill that will provide medical monitoring for September 11 first responders for 30 years. It will also provide compensation for those who can prove their illness or injury was sustained from their work down at the WTC site.

Q: But I am currently being monitored by The FDNY Health Services ( Or another "Center of Excellence" such as The Mt. Sinai Program. ) So why should I be concerned?
    A: The current medical monitoring programs are all funded by the federal government. This includes the WTC medical program at 9 Metro Tech. As it currently stands , there programs can have their funding cut off without warning. In the beginning of this year the Federal Govt. stopped funding the Robert Wood Johnson Hospital WTC medical program in NJ. This hospital had over 1200 September 11th responders from NJ enrolled in their program. Pressure was placed on the Govt to re-open the funding for this hospital and the govt relented. However they only issued enough money to fund the program for 1 year. When HR 847 is passed , all WTC medical monitoring programs (including 9 Metro Tech ) will automatically receive funding for 30 years.

Q: I am currently involved in the class action lawsuit . Would it be better for me to just continue along with the lawsuit I am currently signed up with?
    A: No
    The passing of HR 847 will better protect your ability to claim compensation. As it stands now, all lawsuits are being "funneled" thru The World Trade Center Captive Insurance Fund. This fund was instituted by The Federal Govt to protect the construction companies that had responded to the WTC site to dismantle what remained of the collapse. The Captive Insurance Fund was originally a $1 Billion dollar fund that was issued to The City of New York by FEMA to litigate claims of illness and injury from WTC exposure. Since the fund has been open, 6 claims totaling approx. $330,000 dollars have been settled. Of the original $1 Billion dollars about $600 million remains. Most of the fund has been spent on salary of employees and fighting claims of illness and injury.
    If your current lawsuit should be settled , the settlement will be paid from what is left of the $600 million dollars. All settlements will also include a 33.3% take to your lawyers.
    In other words , there is not much money left over to claim from currently, and what is left to claim will be 33.3 % less that will go to your lawyer.

Q: So where is the benefit to compensation claims paid by HR 847 should it pass?
    A: HR 847 would dissolve The Captive Insurance Fund. It would take what is left of the 600 million dollars and roll it into the new bill. The amount of money available to pay claims would go from $600 million dollars to approx. $4.8 Billion dollars.
    Another benefit is the fact that lawyers fee's would be capped at 10 % instead of the normal 33.3%. In other words more money for your future, and less to the lawyers.

Q: Any other benefit to claims filed with HR 847 should it pass?
    A : Yes , as it stands right now the current WTC class action lawsuit is closed to anyone who tried to sign on after 2008. Hence the reason for only 12,000 litigants. The opening of HR 847 would provide you with an avenue to pursue for compensation should you not be ill now , but become ill within the next 30 years.

Q: What illnesses are listed on HR 847?
    A The illnesses as currently listed are not the best we can do for our ill and injured. However they are an important first step. The bill is one we hope to expand to list the deadly cancers and leukemia's that are taking our lives.
    As of now the following are listed on the health portion of the bill;
    -sinusitis
    -ptsd
    -gerd ( acid reflux)
    -ailments of the skin
    --asthma

Q:Why should I want HR 847 to pass?
    A: Because as of now there is nothing that is protecting the future of our September 11th FDNY firefighters. There is a Captive Insurance fund that is not paying compensation claims as our only means to apply for compensation. There is a medical monitoring program that could close without warning.
    This bill would provide for a 30 year piece of mind. Your ability to seek medical monitoring as well as compensation should you become ill in the future would be protected for 30 years.

Q: Why should I come on November 18th?
    A : We have been working for the past year down in Washington DC with members of congress responsible for this bill. There are 2 committees that will vote on this bill. Those 2 committees are
    - The Energy and Commerce Committee
    - The Judiciary Committee
    We have been asked by US Rep Carolyn Maloney to visit many members of congress within these 2 committees to get this bill passed. Our final meetings were 2 Thursday's ago when we met with The Ways and Means Committee to discuss the funding of this $10 Billion dollar bill.
    All of our meetings were successful. We had achieved the necessary members of congress to vote yes for this bill. As a matter of fact , the bill is written by House Democrats, yet we were able to gain the support of over 30 Republicans. We currently have enough members of Congress to vote this bill out of committee and get it on the desk of the President. In other words , a few concerned FDNY firefighters , with the help of some of our friends did better with this bill than anybody is currently doing with the Obama bill. We have more bi-partisan support than probably any bill currently under consideration in the house.

Q: So where is the problem?
    A: Rep Nancy Pelosi ( D Calif) has been advised of our work and the very good chance that this bill was going to pass. She contacted Rep. Maloneys office last week and asked her to call us and tell us to stand down. She advised Rep Maloneys office that nothing gets done until President Obama's health plan gets signed into law. Therefore , after all of our hard work, and very necessary work we have been told to stand down yet again.

Q: So the objective of November 18th is;
    A: To show elected officials that we indeed have not only the number of people to demand this bill is signed , but we also have the will to gather and demand that we are remembered for our service of 8 years ago. 5 uniformed members of NYC"S service have died in the past few weeks. That number will continue to expand. We must drive home the fact to Rep Pelosi that we will not stand one more day and await our protection.

SHOW UP ON SATURDAY AND DEMAND YOUR PROTECTION.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 11-04-2009 at 01:47 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Rally for 9/11 Health Care
    West lawn of the U.S. Capitol
    November 18, 2009
    11.00am-2.00pm
    Buses will leave from Long Island & NYC with a pick-up in New Jersey
    Long Island- 4.00am, Park & Ride (ext49,rt 110)
    NYC-4.30AM, 8 ave & 42nd St (across from PA bus terminal)
    New Jersey- Exit 4 rest stop (Walt Whitman south )
    recommended that you be dropped off and picked up on North side on way home
    Contact information to get on bus
    Anne Marie Baumann 516 551 0986... ar1cb2@aol.com
    Kenny Specht 917 482 7674... nycffbrotherhoodfoundation@aol .com
    John Feal 631 724 3320... feal13@aol.com
    RSVP now this a is first come first serve basis
    Please dress warm- refreshments/food will be served on buses

The New York City Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation P.O.Box 836 Levittown New York 11756
    www.nycfirefighterfoundation.org
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Good luck ... I'll be there in spirit!

NEVER FORGET!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Are you going to DC, Ray?

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Are you going to DC, Ray?

yes planning on it
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

i do need your help....this is our first step for ALL 9-11-01 responders
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Ray, do you have a link to those questions/answers?

If you do, I'd like to post it to my Facebook wall. I've already signed the petition (#154), athough I'm not sure it will count as I didn't see the "open to US Residents" thing until Rook pointed it out.

I just reposted the petition to my FB page. Less than 5000 signatures???? Come on people, get the word out!!!

NEVER FORGET

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Signed. Best of luck.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Signed, sealed, and delivered.

Posted the petition, part of your blurb Ray, and the rally info to Facebook again this morning. BUMPITY BUMP BUMP

I'm SHOCKED there are so few signatures!!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Ray.. I'm signature #34. I have passed the information to my brothers and sisters at the MFD.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

There is a group on Facebook in support of Firefighter Jim Ryan and his family.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...0696449&ref=nf

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information