Thread: Bunker Belt

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bunker Belt

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.milwaukeeppe.com/

I'm looking for something that can easily move my turnout gear from station to station. The bags I've seen are bulky and frankly expensive, a decent one costing $75-$100 or more. This looks simple, convenient and priced right at around $36.

Any thoughts are appreciated or if you have a better suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!

Forum Member

Mmmmmm......I'm a bit of a skeptic. I prefer my big, duffle bag for carrying my gear. It's easy and I know nothing's going to fall out or be missing later.

Just my .02
    Pete

Forum Member

My local dealer has one so i have seen it.

Seems like a nice idea in that you will never have to worry about stuffing anything in a bag. And as a bonus, you should never have to worry about putting gear away that is slightly damp where mildew or slow drying will be an issue.

What i don't like about it is it offers no protection for your gear. Rain while walking outside, sunlight while your gear is in your backseat, if you have to set the gear down anywhere on the floor, your putting your gear into whatever dirt and or/germs that may be present. And that works the other way too, anywhere you put your gear, such as your backseat for example, you are getting all the dirt from your turnout gear on otherwise clean surfaces. Lastly, i don't like the fact that things may fall out of pockets and since it's not a bag, you can't just throw something in the bag to arry it as well.

I personally prefer a large bag to carry everything. It protects your gear from outside damage and protects everything else from your dirty gear. And as mentioned above, no fears of things falling out of or dropping off your gear and i can always throw something else in the bag.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Seems like a lot of money for something you could do with a piece of webbing with a loop at each end and a caribiner.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I was skeptical but shelled out $25 for one a year or so ago. I gave my bag away to a buddy after using the bunker belt. Its one of the best things I've ever used. I met the guy that invented it as well and he is a great guy. Milwaukee FD if I remember correctly.....
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.milwaukeeppe.com/

I'm looking for something that can easily move my turnout gear from station to station. The bags I've seen are bulky and frankly expensive, a decent one costing $75-$100 or more. This looks simple, convenient and priced right at around $36.

Any thoughts are appreciated or if you have a better suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!
    I've seen demo didn't realize that a $10 item costs that much.

You need to shop around. You can get an Ergodyne bag big enought for all your gear AND your inflatable date for $30. Ergodyne has top notch gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Seems like a lot of money for something you could do with a piece of webbing with a loop at each end and a caribiner.
    I use a 9 foot backboard strap and a regular strap with the loops for the handle. Its long enough to reach around everything and has an adjustable length.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    Introducing the WHACKER STRAP!!! Instead of putting your gear in a duffel bag, get this strap that shows off what you're carrying around for all to see.......
    You should copyright that name before the inventor does!

Forum Member

Since Turn Out gear brings good dollars on Black market, I would think that if you have to carry your gear around, you really don't want to "show it off".

In the old days, an Army Duffle Bag worked great. I could stuff my Sunday best in with my gear and still have room for the kitchen sink.

I'm sure you're looking for something to keep everything together that takes up as little space as possible. There are many ways to do that without spending big bucks. Belts, straps and even rope works well. But a bag works much better to keep it dry, clean and together.

The guys that carry their gear have always tried to find the best solution. There isn't a "one size fits all" thing out there. So it is "to each his own".

I encourage you to build the better mousetrap. Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate all the comments. I don't carry my gear with me all the time, but was looking for something when I have to go fill in at another station so I'm not as concerned about the "showing off" aspect as it would be going from station to trunk to station. But the contamination and losing stuff from the pockets are concerns. I'll look for one of those Ergodyne bags and see if I can find better prices than I have previously found. Thanks again.

Forum Member

511 has a line of fire bags now. I own two of the backpacks and a duffle. The stuff is a bit pricey but it is excellent. Great qiality, great features.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    Introducing the WHACKER STRAP!!! Instead of putting your gear in a duffel bag, get this strap that shows off what you're carrying around for all to see.......
    And the Giant bag that has a Maltese and Fire Department plastered all over it isnt Wackerish???
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    And the Giant bag that has a Maltese and Fire Department plastered all over it isnt Wackerish???
    I never understood why so many manufacturers think that putting "FIREFIGHTER" in huge writing and/or a giant maltese cross on a bag is something most people would want?. I can understand that some people might be proud of what they do, but putting that on a bag does not make sense to me. If and when i want to show my pride in what i do, ill wear a hat and/or t-shirt. Otherwise, low key is fine by me. And speaking of low key, why are all the bags marketed to firefighters bright red? Again, seems completley unnessecary and comes off as trying to tell the world i am a firefighter.

I prefer black since it hides dirt. But if it was an issue for visibility, how about a yellow bag?. In the end, i am worried about quality and features first. I could care less what color my gear bag is. Going to or from work is not a fashion show for me.

Forum Member

I don't see the point of the strap. Its not at all difficult to pick up your gear with one hand without the help of a strap.

The bag has its uses to protect your car and home from all the junk on your gear. It also protects it from sunlight and all the other elements everyone else has mentioned. If you want the strap, just save your money and carry it with your hands.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know a few guys who carry their gear in a ($10-$20) plastic tub from Wal-Mart. Keeps it dry, keeps prying eyes away, easy to carry, cheap.

Last edited by MarcusKspn; 11-06-2009 at 02:06 AM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I never understood why so many manufacturers think that putting "FIREFIGHTER" in huge writing and/or a giant maltese cross on a bag is something most people would want?. I can understand that some people might be proud of what they do, but putting that on a bag does not make sense to me. If and when i want to show my pride in what i do, ill wear a hat and/or t-shirt. Otherwise, low key is fine by me. And speaking of low key, why are all the bags marketed to firefighters bright red? Again, seems completley unnessecary and comes off as trying to tell the world i am a firefighter.

I prefer black since it hides dirt. But if it was an issue for visibility, how about a yellow bag?. In the end, i am worried about quality and features first. I could care less what color my gear bag is. Going to or from work is not a fashion show for me.
    Don't forget that you have to add the yellow and red chevron striping package to both ends of the bag... you don't want anyone walking into it when you are carrying it!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-06-2009 at 08:04 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I can see the advantage of the Bunker Belt (or even some homemade imitation of it). If I were a paid firefighter who needed a way to tote my gear to different stations, I'd probably prefer a bag, since when I arrive I can take my time to unload my gear and set it up like I want it.

But for volunteers, who might keep their gear in the trunk of their personal vehicle, I find that the bag is a nuisance. Takes a few seconds to unzip, remove everything from the bag, and get it all straight to don. I would think that the bunker belt concept might speed things up a bit, just pop the buckle and everything's right there. I don't know, I haven't tried it, but it seems like it might be quicker.

Some of us who live close to the station just keep our gear hanging there and don it when we get to the station, but some of our members live further out and need to keep their gear with them.

Of course, the issue of containing your gear to prevent contamination and soiling of your vehicle is a concern, also. I guess there's pros and cons of both arrangements.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

I travelled a great deal internationally and I always packed my own gear except for helmet. That big red bag with Maltese cross on the side made it every time and with a priority tag on it, was usually on the belt in the first go around.

Forum Member

Default Bunker Belt

I use one of the Bunker Belts, just got it a few months ago. I have known about it for a while, saw it at a few shows, thought it was a good idea, but was not sure if I needed one. I have to say that I absolutely love it! It is very easy to use, and does not take up a lot of space. I agree that if your gear is dirty there is an issue if you drive a car, but who wants cancer causing agents where your family sits? I have truck, so maybe I am lucky, but if I had car, throw them in the trunk. Solves all the other issues, no one will steal them, no elements etc...

Forum Member

Talking Best product on the market for carring your stuff

I know the guy that invented this. He stated that it is not for every one but...it was the best selling product at FDIC this year. Stores all over america are selling it. And hey give the guy some credit. He made moving your stuff easy. You can carry it all with no hands! Watch the video at bunker belt on you tube. Just look at the testimonies on the web site milwaukeeppe.com. It is great for career and volunteer. If you move your gear 10 times a year that is enough to move it easly with this great product. I have been using it for 2 years and would not move my stuff without it. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!! As far as bags go I gave my bag away too. I hate the bag it is a one hit wonder. Only carries gear then floats around. Bunker Belt has other chances for you to stow things too. Just call the Firestore and ask what there sales are and find out what others are saying.

Forum Member

I have used both and I can promise you the bunker belt beats ANY duffel bag hands down
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    I have used both and I can promise you the bunker belt beats ANY duffel bag hands down
    Since many people are not convinced, why not share your reasons as to why? Most people, myself included explained why we do not like them. If your claim is it beats ANY duffle bag, i am all ears as to the reason why....

MembersZone Subscriber

Since many people are not convinced, why not share your reasons as to why? Most people, myself included explained why we do not like them. If your claim is it beats ANY duffel bag, i am all ears as to the reason why....
    Most of the reasons against are definitely valid. I don't agree that moving your gear without the assistance of a bag or strap is just as easy, to each his own.

I am a full time employee at a mostly volunteer department. My gear generally stays in its locker at the station. I use a homemade version when I occasionally need it to be portable.

I have watched many members delayed trying to don their gear out of a bag. Their gear seems to shift a lot inside the bag. The strap seems to do a better job of keeping everything in its place.

If you need to don your PPE right out of the bag/strap then I would recommend the strap. It also seems to work well temporarily (As I use it).

If you are only using it for storage then the bag is probably a better choice.

Forum Member

i know of on guy that i work with. he has one. it works great for his purposes. he works part time (retired full time) and he is not assigned to a station. He drives a little shoe box size BMW with only two seats. the trunk is not big enough to get a bag in. with the belt he can get it in no problem. Puts cardboard down on the floor.

One thing that does look like a good concept is how the helmet and mask bag can be hooked on the smaller portion of the belt to hold it all together. if you are at a station that jumps from ship to ship depending on the call.

Over all it is not a bad concept. not for me thought my bag works for me and it was free. Mine doesnt have a maltese cross on it just plain red.

Forum Member

Since many people are not convinced, why not share your reasons as to why? Most people, myself included explained why we do not like them. If your claim is it beats ANY duffle bag, i am all ears as to the reason why....
    There is no packing....You set your boots on the strap, coat between your boots, connect the straps, hang your helmet on one side and mask on the other and you are gone.....From my locker to ready to go in about 30 seconds. To don your gear, undo the strap, move the coat, step into your boots, pull up your pants, don the coat, grab your helmet and mask and go. Nothing has ever fell out of my pockets. It takes up way less room than a bag, both full and empty. My bag, folded up used to take up a ton of room in my locker. The bunker belt hangs beside my RIT belt and I don't even know it is there. Anyone that does not like it, hasn't used it. I was skeptical at first too. After the first couple times using it, I gave my bag to our other captain. As far as being wackerish, if they dont see the helmet, most people dont know what you are carrying anyway the way its all folded up.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Thread Information