Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber firefighterMV's Avatar

Default Securing a ground ladder

I have a question/poll on ground ladder ops. How do you all secure a ground ladder for multiple story conditions or roof ops? Do you have someone always "heeling" the ladder or do you tie it off? What technique(s) do you use to tie-off the ladder? I am trying to come up with a standard to make this happen more frequently for my current dept. so we can free up some manpower. My previous department used pre-made "ladder hooks" with just an open approx. 4" hook (similar to a FESH hook) and about 3'-4' of utility rope attached so that it could be thrown into a sill or into a wall and tie off at the rungs. The only other option I can think of for us now is to just use our good ol' hay hooks and some utility rope to do the same, but it is not something that I see being practiced often or used on a regular basis due to it not being a very quick option and due to our apparatus being equipped differently.

Thanks for any ideas

Forum Member

we use a hose tool. basicly some rope in a loop and hook that hooks over the sill. I have used a pry bar through the window and tied off with some webbing. I would be a liar if i told you we do it all the time. however most of the time someone foots the ladder as someone climbs. then sometime even though we are not suppose to we dont have anyone footing it. it all depends on the condition and what needs to be done. throwing the ladder is just astep in the whole process.

Forum Member

if its a roof ops, you can have the FF A climbs while FF B foots, FF A gets on the roof and holds the ladder from up there and then FF B climbs up. Reverse it for climbing down. Can be used for going through windows too.

its not the "safe" way, but if you are working on grass you can usually dig the heals into the ground fairly well. Also can but the ladder up against fences running along the side of the house or other fixed objects. Not the best, but if I'm laddering the house that lets me get more ladders up quicker than if I find a way to tie off each one. Rather have the ladder up and have to scurry over to foot it, then to have someone looking to come down and have no ladder there.

Forum Member

o i forgot to add. We do not secure egress ladders if all the windows are not laddered. If only one ladder is thrown to the c side it is left unsecured. this allows for the ladder to be moved to another window on that side.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Great Training Website.....

Here is a great Training Website that is from Long Beach, CA. They are a great Dept. that is very open and helpful with subjects such as this.

www.lbfdtraining.com//

Also, my 2 cents is if it's safe to do so then tie it that way you free-up a FF. Do what's best and safest for your Personnel.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    we use a hose tool. basicly some rope in a loop and hook that hooks over the sill. I have used a pry bar through the window and tied off with some webbing. I would be a liar if i told you we do it all the time. however most of the time someone foots the ladder as someone climbs. then sometime even though we are not suppose to we dont have anyone footing it. it all depends on the condition and what needs to be done. throwing the ladder is just astep in the whole process.
    This is the way I have been told so and I have learned from some good people.
    Become Firefighter

Thread Information