Thread: Safer PG is Out

Forum Member

Smile Safer PG is Out

Just checked the SAFER site. The 2010 PG is now out. Time to get busy!!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Will write up an article and blog with some of the changes next week, got a 0730 appointment at the hospital so looks like the boy will be here before noon. Sleeping in the flopout chair/bed isn't going to be conducive to clear thinking, but not complaining since I'm not the one getting cut open. Complain about anything and she will fix that, probably using fingernails.

Looks like rehiring laid off FFs is only a 4 year program, local matching 0-0-50-70. Hiring new positions is the usual 5 year local matching 0-0-50-70-100. Few others thrown in there like waiving the $100k over 4 year limits. The question is whether or not the cities can still be convinced to apply for their departments. Many still aren't in for a 4 or 5 year committment to a program.

Forum Member

Just a few high points I gleaned out of the first read through of the PG

Meeting Staffing Standards: The highest priority under this SAFER activity is to assist departments experiencing a high rate of turnover and whose staffing levels that are significantly below the ideal staffing level required to comply with NFPA standards 1710 or 1720 (for more details, see page 4 of this document for details or contact NFPA directly at 1-800-344-3555, or e-mail questions to stds_admin@nfpa.org) and OSHA Respiratory Protection standards 1910.134(g)(4) (see page 4 of this document for details).

Departments with the lowest retention rates and the highest attrition rates are given a high priority for funding.

Volunteer Membership: DHS concurs with the recommendation of the criteria development panel that departments or organizations with the highest percentage of volunteers or large numbers of volunteers benefit most from the recruitment and retention of volunteer firefighters. Therefore, applicants whose membership is comprised of mostly volunteer members, or with a significant number of volunteer firefighters, receive higher consideration.

[interesting that hiring a co-ordinator is eligible for funding]

Recruitment/Retention Plan: It is critical to have a plan for recruitment and/or retention activities. Accordingly, applications requesting funding for recruitment and/or retention programs based on formal plans receive higher consideration. Applicants should summarize the recruitment and retention plan in their narrative. A designated project coordinator and a marketing plan are necessary for successful implementation of any recruitment and/or retention program. Therefore, requests from departments that already have a coordinator and a marketing plan or that are requesting funding for a coordinatorís position and a marketing plan receive higher consideration.

[b]Providing AD&D insurance is allowed}

In accordance with the recommendations of the criteria development panel, applications with recruitment and/or retention plans including accident and/or injury insurance and lost wages for members also receive a higher competitive ranking.
    Continuity: Applicants receive higher consideration if their recruitment and retention activities are designed to continue beyond the grantís period of performance and not rely on future Federal dollars to sustain.

Call Volume and Population Served: Department call volume and population served are both factored into the initial evaluation. Departments responding to a high number of incidents and protecting larger numbers of people receive higher consideration than departments responding to fewer incidents or protecting a smaller jurisdiction.

[ we asked for funding for these physicals last year & had it cut from our award]

Firefighter Health Measures: DHS recommends that, because the health and wellbeing of firefighters is of paramount importance, applicants who indicate their newly recruited firefighters will undergo an entry-level physical and receive immunizations receive higher consideration than applicants who do not specify these benefits will be provided. In order to qualify for consideration for this concern, the physicals must be consistent with those required under NFPA 1582.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Looks like rehiring laid off FFs is only a 4 year program, local matching 0-0-50-70. Hiring new positions is the usual 5 year local matching 0-0-50-70-100. Few others thrown in there like waiving the $100k over 4 year limits. The question is whether or not the cities can still be convinced to apply for their departments. Many still aren't in for a 4 or 5 year committment to a program.
    Not according to the guidance. Both the hiring and rehiring laid off firefighters are only 2 year period of performance with no match.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire View Post
    Not according to the guidance. Both the hiring and rehiring laid off firefighters are only 2 year period of performance with no match.
    Read more closely later in the PG. The POP is considered the years that local department is matching, which is only years 3 and 4. Bad way of wording it IMHO, and lends itself to misinterpretation just like you did and same with me when I only read the first pages. Down in the actual hiring section it says 4 years and 5 years total.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

island, says they need them doesn't mean SAFER is paying for them.

Forum Member

Talking

island, says they need them doesn't mean SAFER is paying for them.
    Here is how I read that sentence: "Therefore, requests from departments that already have a coordinator and a marketing plan:

or that are requesting funding for a coordinatorís position and a marketing plan receive higher consideration.

Maybe it's just my interpreting it wrong. Good luck at the horsepistol today ,hope everything comes out just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Read more closely later in the PG. The POP is considered the years that local department is matching, which is only years 3 and 4. Bad way of wording it IMHO, and lends itself to misinterpretation just like you did and same with me when I only read the first pages. Down in the actual hiring section it says 4 years and 5 years total.
    This is what the PG says:

Hiring of Firefighters Activity: A recruitment period of 90 days, which begins when the application is approved for award, is provided for all grantees under the Hiring of Firefighters Activity regardless of whether the grant is for hiring new firefighters or for rehiring firefighters. The 2-year period of performance starts after the 90-day recruitment period, regardless of whether the grantee has been able to affect the hiring of the requested firefighters.

I cannot find anything in the guidance about a 50% and 30% match on the hiring.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Here is how I read that sentence: "Therefore, requests from departments that already have a coordinator and a marketing plan:

or that are requesting funding for a coordinatorís position and a marketing plan receive higher consideration.

Maybe it's just my interpreting it wrong. Good luck at the horsepistol today ,hope everything comes out just fine.
    meant the physicals they want but won't pay. coordinator is so you can hire marketing company or pay someone from the dept to handle it all.

and thanks, t minus 20 until OR.

Forum Member

Good luck Brian, hope all are healthy.

MembersZone Subscriber

On R & R--interesting to note that PPE for new recruits is an eligible expense, would have been ineligible all prior years if i recall correctly. (not eligible for the Hiring project) In my opinion, even though you could hire a coordinator, that expense could dampen the cost/benefit to the point of no return--so make sure the project is big enough to justify the coordinator OR the wage is low enough to be justified.

LOSAP still eligible, but no prior service credit (not sure if that's been there or not--what say Ye OneBugle??)

The "90 day Recruitment Period" is available in either Hiring or R & R. Nothing more than a 90 day window from Award Date to beginning of Period of Performance--a "ramp-up period" so to speak. Expenses within that window are still eligible, and in fact it sounds like they are encouraged.

I like the changes for this year. But...i don't think my dept's turnover will enable us to be competitive--we just don't lose them fast enough!!

earl

Thread Information