Forum Member

Default P-84 Vs. Nomex Hood

Hey all, complete newbie here.

I'm a volunteer, so our equipment isn't always in the best condition. I bought a "Nomex" hood on Ebay, and when I got it, it turned out to be P-84/rayon/kevlar.

The beat up one I have issued to me is Nomex, so I have no idea what this P-84 is...Same thing? Or did I get duped?

Thanks, and thanks for providing this great forum!

MembersZone Subscriber

Check your ebay hood to see if there is a NFPA 1971, 2007 edition label on it, if there is then you should be good to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    Check your ebay hood to see if there is a NFPA 1971, 2007 edition label on it, if there is then you should be good to go.
    Thanks! It was manufactured in 4/2003 by Majestic

It says:

This hood meets the hood interface requirements of NFPA 1971 standard on protective ensemble for structural fire fighting, 2000 edition.

So, it says 2000, not 2007 (obviously because it was manufactured in 03), but were there adjustments made in 2007?

Forum Member

You got a better hood actually. I wear a P-84 hood and it is more comfortable than my Nomex. Hope you didn't pay more than $25-$30 though. That's about the going rate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG103 View Post
    You got a better hood actually. I wear a P-84 hood and it is more comfortable than my Nomex. Hope you didn't pay more than $25-$30 though. That's about the going rate.
    It's definitely a hell of a lot thicker than my Nomex, but I mostly attributed that to how old my Nomex one is, until I realized it was a different material.

It is comfortable, definitely, I just want to make sure I'm not putting myself at risk, either in a fire, or being duped by an Ebay listing. Hell, the title said "Nomex Hood!"

I paid $32 total including shipping...Not such a big deal I suppose...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vrscdx View Post
    It is comfortable, definitely, I just want to make sure I'm not putting myself at risk, either in a fire, or being duped by an Ebay listing. Hell, the title said "Nomex Hood!"
    I'd say it probably has better thermal performance than Nomex. I have turnout gear from Fire-Dex made of P84/Kevlar. "Nomex Hood" is kind of like "Kleenex". People will call them that no matter who makes it or what it's made of.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG103 View Post
    I'd say it probably has better thermal performance than Nomex. I have turnout gear from Fire-Dex made of P84/Kevlar. "Nomex Hood" is kind of like "Kleenex". People will call them that no matter who makes it or what it's made of.
    Copy that, thanks for the helpful info!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Actually P-84 is called P-84/Lenzing and it is a FAR BETTER hood than a plain Nomex hood. I have used them for almost 15 years and the only thing that has pulled me away is a carbon hood.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Actually P-84 is called P-84/Lenzing and it is a FAR BETTER hood than a plain Nomex hood. I have used them for almost 15 years and the only thing that has pulled me away is a carbon hood.
    It's weird, it seems practically impossible to find actual good info on the net about all this stuff. Since I'm new I'm trying to research all this old gear that's been handed down...Making sure things are road worthy. Wish I had the money to buy all my own gear, they've got some pretty cool stuff out there now!

Forum Member

What about the new Carbon hoods? Any pros/cons?

Default Info

If your looking for info on gear material look at southern mills, or dupont they have some of the info for gear materail. Also P-84 is a majestic product just as good as Nomex and as for carbon it is a heavy hood. i have inclued a link to majestics web site. I have that disclaimer to add i am a career and volunteer firefighter. But i work part time as a sales rep for a company and yes majestic is a line we carry. If i can help anyone drop me a email ike@interstaterescue.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    What about the new Carbon hoods? Any pros/cons?
    The carbon hoods I've had experience seem to be thinner than the other fabrics. Personally, I don't mind this, as I get a better sense of the temperature of the room I'm in.

However, we've had several guys at my career department that have burned their ears, necks, and other things that don't have any protection other than the hood.

Ultimately, they went away from the carbon hoods and back to the old white hoods that have more of an insulating quality.

Forum Member

had the same problem with my carbon hood, it was to thin. I figured well h** atleast that way i can feel the temp in the room i am in. That plan work out well for about a year. Then one of those aw crap moment happened. Needless to say i felt the heat in the room i was in and unable to exit as it hit the fan. my coat and helmet were destroyed but my hood survived! Funny thing was the only part that got severe burns was my ears and neck. My shoulder only got a mild 1st degree burn. Now i cannot say that a thicker nomax hood would have prevented injury or decreased the damage, however it could not have hurt the situation.

I now wear just the plain old white nomax hood. Thicker and bulkier then a carbon hood. However i feel it provides more protection. And yes I had my ear flaps down on my helmet.

Forum Member

I have used single layer Nomex hoods, Tempo Uno knit type hoods, single layer Kevlar hoods (the only one I have been burned wearing), P-84 2 layer hoods, sigle layer carbon hoods, and even (Gasp) a Reed hood.

My preference is either a P-84 or a carbon hood. They have both served me well in both firefighting AND as a fire instructor at the tech college.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

whats a hood?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    whats a hood?
    In your case probably where you live.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Ten points!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by vrscdx View Post
    Thanks! It was manufactured in 4/2003 by Majestic

It says:

This hood meets the hood interface requirements of NFPA 1971 standard on protective ensemble for structural fire fighting, 2000 edition.

So, it says 2000, not 2007 (obviously because it was manufactured in 03), but were there adjustments made in 2007?
    Majestic makes good hoods. http://www.majhoods.com/default.asp?contentID=3

Why screwing around with ebay when you have NO idea what you're bidding on. You could have gotten a fire equipment salesman to bring some samples by and actually see/try hoods. And then bought that hood for LESS than you ended up paying.

Forum Member

Nice. Touche'

Thread Information