MembersZone Subscriber

Default Paramedic School: Anatomy and Physiology

I am currently an EMT-B looking into going to paramedic school. Most of the programs I have looked into require you to have taken anatomy and physiology prior to the course. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to take the anatomy and physiology courses online? And if so if many paramedic schools will accept this to fulfill that requirement. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

that's going to be a tough one since most and anat and phys classes require a lab portion where you dissect various critters.

Forum Member

Agreed. Your best bet would be a community college.

Forum Member

If you choose to get an associates degree in paramedic science these courses are required. If you want to just get the cert then they aren't. Look into a program at IVY tech.

MembersZone Subscriber

In Oregon the Anatomy and Physiology is a 3 part class. I took the first and second in class at a local Community College while I took the final class on line. It was at a local community college as well just was an option. Honestly the difference between the two was small. If you don't have the option for inclass go ahead and take it online.

Check out Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC.edu). You might be able to register and take it even from Ill.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the posts. I looked into some classes online that also have a lab portion that you can do online. I didn't know if these were legit and would be accepted by a program that I chose. The class I found was through Colorado Community Colleges. Here is a website for the class:

http://www.ccconline.org/courses/cou...01_welcmpg_05f

MembersZone Subscriber

talk to an advisor at whatever school your looking at going into the paramedic program at, and make sure that those credits will transfer. It would suck to do all that work and spend that money for a class that they won't say is legit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kolat06 View Post
    talk to an advisor at whatever school your looking at going into the paramedic program at, and make sure that those credits will transfer. It would suck to do all that work and spend that money for a class that they won't say is legit.
    Totally agree. A+P for most Paramedic programs is pretty lacking to begin with. So trying to skimp even more by taking it online, I think, does yourself a disservice. It is going to be one of the more important classes you take if you end up working EMS or moving on in Medicine in general. I suggest taking the highest rated or toughest one in your area that an advisor assures you will count towards whatever Paramedic program you are looking at. A human cadaver lab would be a huge plus.

Best of luck and don't shy away from a challenge! It will only help you and your patients in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

The ccconline courses are legit. They are based off the Colorado community college network so whether or not you take the class in an actual classroom or online you are being taught the same curriculum. All four year colleges in Colorado will accept these classes as transfer credit. Just be aware that these online classes are extremely expensive. But they will work for your requirements for A & P for P-school. Best of luck.

bw3
    Forum Member

some medic courses include A&P with the regular medic portion.
    my class is doing it before the actual medic portion starts. we have 7 days
    to learn the entire book.

Forum Member

As someonw who earned an AS, Bachelor's and Masters degree primarily online, I am a HUGE advocate of online education. Having said this, there were a few classes that I did not feel were right for online learning. I believed English 100 (Freshman composition) was important because I believed the basis of education involves being able to write. I also felt Math was important to take in person. I felt it was important to be able to approach the instructor and learn why I got a math problem wrong.

I feel the same way about the imortance of anatomy and physiology. These concepts are the cornerstone of paramedic school. I would encourage you not to sell yourself short. Take them in person and take VERY GOOD NOTES. You will refer back to them throughout your paramedic school experience.

Best of luck to you!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

There are new learning formats that make taking classes like A&P including lab online possible. I took it through Tacoma CC in WA state and feel comfortable that I wasn't cheated any valuable information you would only be able to get in person. Others may argue, but I feel I have a strong foundation that should set me up for success during medic school. Of course if you were to take a full semester of Anatomy and a full semester of phys prior to medic school, you would be miles ahead. If you have any questions about the online format you can PM me.

Forum Member

I took biology and the lab online. I can tell you that it was not a quality class. The previous poster had a much better experience than did I. I am glad to hear there is a good quality alternative!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

What school did you go to BW3??

Forum Member

Ha, I just realized we revived this post from 2009. This guy is probably a tenured medic with a career department now. Hope someone else is interested in the info.

Thread Information