Thread: Fort Hood

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fort Hood

Did I miss the thread? If not may God bless all the families involved in the tragedy at Ft. Hood. I hope this goes down as an isolated event.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ralph Walso Emerson said: "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."

Sports stars are not heroes. Politicians, of themselves are not heroes. Actors are not heroes.

This lady is a hero. Many, many people owe their lives to her this morning.

Female Police Officer Credited With Stopping Fort Hood Massacre, Hailed a Hero
    Friday , November 06, 2009

A female civilian police officer is being hailed as a hero in the aftermath of a gunman's rampage at Fort Hood an outbreak of violence that the officer is credited with ending by shooting the alleged gunman four times despite being shot herself.

The attack killed 13 people and wounded 38 others at the Texas military post, but the carnage ended there, thanks to the quick response of Fort Hood Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley.

Munley and her partner responded within three minutes of reports of gunfire on Thursday, Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said Friday. Authorities say Munley, 34, exchanged fire with the gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, who remains comatose in a Texas hospital. Munley is in stable condition, officials said.

"It was an amazing and an aggressive performance by this police officer," Cone said.

Munley's Twitter page has been deluged by well-wishers since the tragic shooting.

"You are a true heroine and we are deeply grateful for your courage," one posting read. "Best Wishes for a full and quick recovery."

Another posting read, "Stand tall girl! I'm here to tell you your sisters in policing are very proud of the courage you displayed yesterday. You ARE what being 'on the job' is all about. Your bravery in the line of fire will be long remembered."

Attempts to reach Munley's relatives were unsuccessful Friday.

According to her Twitter account, Munley lives a "good life."

".... a hard one, but I go to sleep peacefully @ night knowing that I may have made a difference in someone's life," her page reads.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    We all ought to make sure that our kids know the definition of hero
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree 100%.

To read the stories of her actions, and the actions of the soldiers who helped each other out and saved the lives of many wounded is a testament to our soldiers and first responders.

I know the order was for federal buildlings, but I think that it would be right for our firehouses to fly at half mast as well. Prayers to the families and survivors.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

The really sad part was the he was a Muslim. I work with a guy from Turkey who is Muslim. He was ticked right off. They hate Osama Bin Laden as well as all of these extremist, it makes it hard for the goods ones . Really sad indeed.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This is the kind of situation they were all trained for, at the last place they would have ever expected to encounter it

But I think that the tragedy of one soldier will be overshadowed by the courage, bravery, and selflessness of the rest.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Ralph Walso Emerson said: "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."

This lady is a hero. Many, many people owe their lives to her this morning.
    My understanding of the article in our local paper, this PO stood her ground as the gunman charged her. She took three bullets and put four into him. What an absolutely incredibly display of courage!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    This is the kind of situation they were all trained for, at the last place they would have ever expected to encounter it

But I think that the tragedy of one soldier will be overshadowed by the courage, bravery, and selflessness of the rest.
    As the news develops, it does not appear that this is a tragedy of one soldier. It appears to be a one-man terrorist attack.

Forum Member

This piece of human excrement will wish he was dead rather than spend the rest of his life at the United States Disciplinary Barracks Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.

Sadly, I think that we will see this incident repeat itself in the future. And you are already seeing people come up with a defense for this low life piece of crap and his actions. "The Army didn't support him", he "disagreed with the war", et. al.

The last time someone shot up an Army base that I recall was at Ft. Bragg, and I believe those guys will be getting the needle in the arm. I can see the revisionists pushing for that to not happen with this guy.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    The really sad part was the he was a Muslim. I work with a guy from Turkey who is Muslim. He was ticked right off. They hate Osama Bin Laden as well as all of these extremist, it makes it hard for the goods ones . Really sad indeed.
    I'm with ya man. The fact that he was a muslim truely overshadows the fact that 13 soldiers are dead. 13 families are dealing with the loss and no explanation as to why. And 30 more wounded. All gunned down by a waste of skin who just should have ended his own life instead of taking the life of UNARMED soldiers.

Yup, his religious background is truely sadder than any of this.
    Last edited by DFDMAXX; 11-07-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Whoa. Got baited into feeding the trolls.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

MembersZone Subscriber

If he had to stay in the old cells of the USDB at Ft. Leavenworth, he would be hating life. From what I hear, the new complex is just another health spa for inmates. That being said, I am sure the old gallows will be waiting for him anyway. Only 10 Military executions have been approved by the President since the 50's. This will be a true test of our Commander in Chief and his stance on Military justice.

Back In Black

First my thoughts and well wishes for the victims and survivors.

My first thought was the plot they uncovered around here for an attack on Ft. Dix.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050800465.html

Note: the US Attorney in the article is now our Governor.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    If he had to stay in the old cells of the USDB at Ft. Leavenworth, he would be hating life. From what I hear, the new complex is just another health spa for inmates.
    Remember, there are two prisons, the USDB, and the Federal Beareau of Prisons. Two different facilities with two vastly different philosophies on incarceration. There are also two vastly different staffs - the USDB is manned by the military - like any other stockade or brig is, while the BOP facility is manned by civilian guards.

Ah, I long for the good old days of when they made big rocks into little rocks, and little rocks into littler rocks. Hard labor used to mean something until the flaming liberals in this world got into the cushy prison system.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Ah, I long for the good old days of when they made big rocks into little rocks, and little rocks into littler rocks. Hard labor used to mean something until the flaming liberals in this world got into the cushy prison system.
    Oklahoma State Reformatory was build right next to Granite Mountain in Granite, Oklahoma. To this day you can drive past the prison and see the fence build up and over the mountain.

The half the mountain outside the prison is in natural shape, trees and everything.

The half inside the prison fence is tore up, pure granite beat up by hammers for many many hears. You don't see them working out there anymore.

It's hard organizing a prison riot and beat up the guards when your arms are sore from 12 hours of beating up rocks.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Oklahoma State Reformatory was build right next to Granite Mountain in Granite, Oklahoma. To this day you can drive past the prison and see the fence build up and over the mountain.

The half the mountain outside the prison is in natural shape, trees and everything.

The half inside the prison fence is tore up, pure granite beat up by hammers for many many hears. You don't see them working out there anymore.

It's hard organizing a prison riot and beat up the guards when your arms are sore from 12 hours of beating up rocks.
    I hope they mixed some cardio in there...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

As the news develops, it does not appear that this is a tragedy of one soldier. It appears to be a one-man terrorist attack.
    As I was saying...

Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda
    Army Major in Fort Hood Massacre Used 'Electronic Means' to Connect with Terrorists
    By RICHARD ESPOSITO, MATTHEW COLE and BRIAN ROSS
    Nov. 9, 2009

U.S. intelligence agencies were aware months ago that Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan was attempting to make contact with people associated with al Qaeda, two American officials briefed on classified material in the case told ABC News.

It is not known whether the intelligence agencies informed the Army that one of its officers was seeking to connect with suspected al Qaeda figures, the officials said.

Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-MI), the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, said that he requested the CIA and other intelligence agencies brief the committee on what was known, if anything, about Hasan by the U.S. intelligence community, only to be refused.

In response, Hoekstra issued a document preservation request to four intelligence agencies. The letter, dated November 7th, was sent to directors Dennis Blair (DNI), Robert Mueller (FBI), Lt. Gen Keith Alexander (NSA) and Leon Panetta (CIA).

Hoekstra said he is "absolutely furious" that the house intel committee has been refused an intelligence briefing by the DNI or CIA on Hasan's attempt to reach out to al Qaeda, as first reported by ABC News.

"This is a law enforcement investigation, in which other agenciesnot the CIAhave the lead," CIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano said in a response to ABC News. " Any suggestion that the CIA refused to brief Congress is incorrect."

Investigators want to know if Hasan maintained contact with a radical mosque leader from Virginia, Anwar al Awlaki, who now lives in Yemen and runs a web site that promotes jihad around the world against the U.S.

In a blog posting early Monday titled "Nidal Hassan Did the Right Thing," Awlaki calls Hasan a "hero" and a "man of conscience who could not bear living the contradiction of being a Muslim and serving in an army that is fighting against his own people."

According to his site, Awlaki served as an imam in Denver, San Diego and Falls Church, Virginia.

The Associated Press reported Sunday that Major Hasan attended the Falls Church mosque when Awlaki was there.

The Telegraph of London reported that Awlaki had made contact with two of the 9/11 hijackers when he was in San Diego.

He denied any knowledge of the hijacking plot and was never charged with any crime. After an intensive investigation by the FBI , Awlaki moved to Yemen.

People who knew or worked with Hasan say he seemed to have gradually become more radical in his disapproval of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On Sunday, Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) called for an investigation into whether the Army missed signs as to whether Hasan was an Islamic extremist.

"If Hasan was showing signs, saying to people that he had become an Islamist extremist, the U.S. Army has to have a zero tolerance," Lieberman told Fox News Sunday.

Army Chief of Staff
    A fellow Army doctor who studied with Hasan, Val Finell, told ABC News, "We would frequently say he was a Muslim first and an American second. And that came out in just about everything he did at the University."

Finell said he and other Army doctors complained to superiors about Hasan's statements.

"And we questioned how somebody could take an oath of office&be an officer in the military and swear allegiance to the constitution and to defend America against all enemies, foreign and domestic and have that type of conflict," Finell told ABC News.

The Army Chief of Staff, General George Casey, raised concerns over the weekend that innocent Muslim soldiers could suffer as a result of the shooting at Fort Hood.

"I think the speculation (on Hasan's Islamic roots) could potentially heighten backlash against some of our Muslim soldiers," he said on ABC's "This Week."

the 4-1-4

What really ****es me off is that political correctness is overtaking common sense and our ability to be safe. It appears that our government, the news media as well as society are trying to turn this as a "sympathy for the Muslims" topic. They are trying to downplay the fact that he is an Islamic extremist. He is a terrorist, even if he was acting alone. It appears he planned this out thoroughly, and planned on not surviving his attack.

If a soldier has no doubts about where a persons loyalty is, meaning to his unit and fellow soldiers, there will be no backlash. It doesn't matter who we have working with us or among us, as long as they are with us. When there are doubts about that allegiance, then there will be problems.
    This isn't the first time in our history that we have citizens of our nation who may have to take up arms against the citizens of nations where they immigrated from. The Japanese, Germans and Italians did it in WWII. The Germans again in WWI. Family members fought each other in the civil war, and all the way back to our roots, against the British. You are either a citizen of the United States and will defend this nation, without a doubt, or you won't.

I was very happy to see the vast majority of Muslims in this nation condemning his actions, and being very vocal about their opposition.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    What really ****es me off is that political correctness is overtaking common sense and our ability to be safe. It appears that our government, the news media as well as society are trying to turn this as a "sympathy for the Muslims" topic. They are trying to downplay the fact that he is an Islamic extremist. He is a terrorist, even if he was acting alone. It appears he planned this out thoroughly, and planned on not surviving his attack.

If a soldier has no doubts about where a persons loyalty is, meaning to his unit and fellow soldiers, there will be no backlash. It doesn't matter who we have working with us or among us, as long as they are with us. When there are doubts about that allegiance, then there will be problems.
    This isn't the first time in our history that we have citizens of our nation who may have to take up arms against the citizens of nations where they immigrated from. The Japanese, Germans and Italians did it in WWII. The Germans again in WWI. Family members fought each other in the civil war, and all the way back to our roots, against the British. You are either a citizen of the United States and will defend this nation, without a doubt, or you won't.

I was very happy to see the vast majority of Muslims in this nation condemning his actions, and being very vocal about their opposition.

I agree with you. ANd I see it as them turning it into an anti-military issue. The nasty military turned this gentle doctor into a monster. Our president and our legislature have chosen to sacrifice our country's security to appease the foreign interests.

Guaranteed one term president. Especially if there are additional terrorist attacks (Do not twist my words. I am not wishing for additional terrorist attacks).

Forum Member

There is no doubt in my mind that this was nothing less than a left wing, liberal conspiracy to draw our beloved country into cival war. Damn it, it's us against them and it's about time we did something about it. Our president is not only a communist, but he's a socialist, the anti-Christ, Hitler and NOT, I repeat NOT a citizen of the US. Listen up people: IT IS ALL HIS FAULT!

If only there was a consertive demagogue that could save us all...

Bring it on Cliffy

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember, there are two prisons, the USDB, and the Federal Beareau of Prisons. Two different facilities with two vastly different philosophies on incarceration. There are also two vastly different staffs - the USDB is manned by the military - like any other stockade or brig is, while the BOP facility is manned by civilian guards.

Not to start an arguement(well maybe), but being that I live 15 miles from the USDB and US Federal Prison, and having spent a good deal of time living in the area, I stand by my point. I have had prisoners from the USDB cut my hair and bag my groceries back when they were allowed. The new facility is a country club. Now with that being said, I am sure it is still run military style. But even in todays military, they still have gone a bit soft. The military is nothing the same as it was when my father was in. BTW, when he was the fort CACDA action officer in the early 80's under BG Powell, they serviced the gallows at the DB annually.

So hopefully the old gallows are intact, so that they can bring the Major down from the club on the hill to the old worn stone buidling.
    Last edited by ehs7554; 11-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Not to start an arguement(well maybe), but being that I live 15 miles from the USDB and US Federal Prison, and having spent a good deal of time living in the area, I stand by my point. I have had prisoners from the USDB cut my hair and bag my groceries back when they were allowed. The new facility is a country club. Now with that being said, I am sure it is still run military style. But even in todays military, they still have gone a bit soft. The military is nothing the same as it was when my father was in. BTW, when he was the fort CACDA action officer in the early 80's under BG Powell, they serviced the gallows at the DB annually.

So hopefully the old gallows are intact, so that they can bring the Major down from the club on the hill to the old worn stone buidling.
    This is quite sad. Prison is punishment, with a twist on reform. The recidivism rate on many of these folks is high (military or not.) The pussification of our nation(is that really a word? eh, who cares.....it seems to fit) is such a ridiculous downfall to our society. Quite sad.

Now there are different levels of incarceration in a stockade/brig just like in the civilian world with varying lengths of incarceration......Wonder if there is prison justice in a Brig/stockade? I doubt that the prisoners (who are/were military men and women) will take kindly to a muslim commiting an act of terror on a military installation.

Forum Member

Especially if there are additional terrorist attacks (Do not twist my words. I am not wishing for additional terrorist attacks).
    One of the things that kills me about this issue is that no one, whether it be folks from the White House, Pentagon, or Ft. Hood, will call this a Terrorist action. They cannot differentiate a guy stabbing someone in a robbery with an act, on a military base, in the United States (not even abroad) by a single man who killed, wounded, and maimed 42 people.

If this had happened on the base in Balad or Kabul by an Afghani/Iraqi/Jordanian/Syrian/Egyptian it would be called a terrorist action in the blink of an eye........but the fact that it was commited by a member of our own Army makes it unable to be called a terrorist action for some stupid reason.

And I am not even talking about the "news" reports and innuendo involving which mosque he attended, who he hung out with, statements he made to other service members, or any other reason. It was a terroristic act - no different than Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Kobar Towers bombing, or any other terroristic action.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is quite sad. Prison is punishment, with a twist on reform. The recidivism rate on many of these folks is high (military or not.) The pussification of our nation(is that really a word? eh, who cares.....it seems to fit) is such a ridiculous downfall to our society. Quite sad.

Now there are different levels of incarceration in a stockade/brig just like in the civilian world with varying lengths of incarceration......Wonder if there is prison justice in a Brig/stockade? I doubt that the prisoners (who are/were military men and women) will take kindly to a muslim commiting an act of terror on a military installation.
    I am sure there is a bit of prison justice. In fact many of the soldiers spending time at the USDB are still patriots who love their country. Many of them just made poor decsions. If the Army, better yet the President, doesn't hang him, someone on the inside will surely have their way.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the things that kills me about this issue is that no one, whether it be folks from the White House, Pentagon, or Ft. Hood, will call this a Terrorist action. They cannot differentiate a guy stabbing someone in a robbery with an act, on a military base, in the United States (not even abroad) by a single man who killed, wounded, and maimed 42 people.

If this had happened on the base in Balad or Kabul by an Afghani/Iraqi/Jordanian/Syrian/Egyptian it would be called a terrorist action in the blink of an eye........but the fact that it was commited by a member of our own Army makes it unable to be called a terrorist action for some stupid reason.

And I am not even talking about the "news" reports and innuendo involving which mosque he attended, who he hung out with, statements he made to other service members, or any other reason. It was a terroristic act - no different than Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Kobar Towers bombing, or any other terroristic action.
    I'll go you one better...

Imagine if the shooter was a white guy, who jumped up and screamed "White Power" and shot 42 people of non-white persuasion. How fast do you think they would be calling this "domestic terrorism".

We are right back in the mode of having an enemy at war with us and we are ignoring it. We are doomed unless we change modes pretty fast.

MembersZone Subscriber

One more thing...

I used to have a hard time understanding how the people of this country thought it was a good idea to put thousands of people in "camps" during WWII simply because of their nationality. I do not believe we should do that now, but I have a far greater understanding for their line of thinking.

Thread Information