Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default It would be funny if it weren't true....

Only in Massachusetts, or San Francisco, will you see these sort of ludicrous actions.

Seems the well-to-do Blue Bloods in Charlestown want to silence the U.S.S. Constitution. I suppose on a good day I could give you that shooting off the cannons would be a nousance......but these freaking losers are upset that, of all things, they are utterly flaberghasted that a United States Naval base has the unmittigated gall to play the National Anthem. Oh the humanity.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...ome&position=0

Neighbors aim to silence Old Ironsides’ cannons
    Quiet riot!

By Hillary Chabot | Saturday, November 7, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

Photo by Christopher Evans
    Old Ironsides’ upscale Charlestown neighbors are trying to pull off what British, French and Barbary pirate guns failed to accomplish in more than two centuries - silencing the cannons of the nation’s oldest commissioned naval vessel.

Miffed residents of a posh condo complex have invited the commanding officer of the USS Constitution over for a glass of wine so he can hear for himself that the frigate’s twice-daily cannon blasts - a tradition dating to 1798 - are “more disruptive to the neighborhood than you might have imagined.”

Commanding Officer Timothy Cooper received the most recent complaint two weeks ago from neighbors suggesting naval officers assigned to the historic vessel eliminate the morning and evening blasts on weekends, reduce the size of the gunpowder charge and turn down the volume of the national anthem recording played during the daily flag raising and lowering ceremonies.

“The residential population and congestion of this area has (sic) grown significantly and, it seems to us, that the cannon charge/noise is excessive,” the unidentified resident first wrote in an Aug. 26, 2009, letter obtained by the Herald.

High-end condominium developments have sprung up across from the Charlestown Navy Yard over the past decade, transforming the once hardscrabble waterfront into a toney enclave.

“Over the summer, we have entertained several times, and we have had guests sit up in shock when the cannon goes off,” the resident wrote. “It has also awakened them at 8 a.m. while they are vacationing and then blasted them again at sunset.”

Cooper, a 39-year-old Marshfield native, said he was surprised by the complaint, but he wants to work with the residents. “We’re hoping to find a way where we can be good neighbors and maintain the tradition,” he said.

The legendary, 204-foot-long battleship is equipped to hold 44 cannons, but only two take turns shooting a four-foot blast of gunpowder twice a day, Cooper said.

Launched in 1797 and named by President George Washington, the Constitution saw action against the French, Barbary pirates and the British in the War of 1812.

The daily gun salute - halted in the early 1900s and revived in 1975 - requires naval officers to fire from one of the working guns every day at 8 a.m. and again at sunset.

Recent renovations to the ship brought the matter to a head because the booming shot is now closer to the shore.

The unnamed resident, who acknowledged Old Ironsides as “the country’s most sacred maritime treasure,” complained once in August and again Oct. 20.

The ship’s spokesman, Petty Officer First Class Eric Brown, said halting the cannon fire - or even delaying it - would undermine a time-honored patriotic ritual that draws tourists from land and sea. “It’s as much a part of Boston as the Red Sox [team stats] and Cheers,” Brown said.

Other nearby residents agreed, including 52-year-old Elizabeth Ames, who lives in a luxury development called The Nautica.

“This is the heart of the city’s history,” Ames said. “If you don’t like it, don’t live here.”
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

So the boss goes has a bottle of wine to see if its too loud. I dont see the problem. The boss will decide how much of a problem it is or at all.

Its the law suits that come after if they don't get their way is what i see the problem with.

These "Nouveau Townies" complaining about the activities on "Old Ironsides" remind me of those who buy a house near an airport then complain about the noise....

screw 'em!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    These "Nouveau Townies" complaining about the activities on "Old Ironsides" remind me of those who buy a house near an airport then complain about the noise....

screw 'em!
    We used to have people who take vacation in the Alps, and then complained about the cow bells.

How about people who buy a house next to a fire station and complain about the sirens?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

More stupid people who don't check out the community before they buy. Idiots.... F Em I say. We had a nut job who moved up here form Jersey then complained about the smell of Cow manure. Didn't the bozo see all the farms???? Over near Saratoga there is a race track that has been there for years. Some developer built a housing development near the track sold the houses; then the residents complained about the noise. Sort of like building below sea level then wondering why you get flooded when a hurricane comes marching in.

MembersZone Subscriber

This lady should run for mayor...

Other nearby residents agreed, including 52-year-old Elizabeth Ames, who lives in a luxury development called The Nautica.

“This is the heart of the city’s history,” Ames said. “If you don’t like it, don’t live here.”
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    She gets my vote for President!!!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep.............

George, If that's a Motion, I'll Second it...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

That will never happen. Boston just re-elected Thomas M. "Mumbles" Menino into office for his 5th term. Menino's linguistic incapabilities put George Bush's to shame. Nevermind that he has been mayor for just shy of 16 years.

The morons in Boston don't have the guts to elect someone like this.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Thumbs up

screw 'em!
    Damn straight!

Hope the CO shows up for the free wine....and says..."Sounds like freedom....., You're Welcome....".....and leaves....
    IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Hope the CO shows up for the free wine....and says..."Sounds like freedom....., You're Welcome....".....and leaves....
    now THAT would be just what they deserve!!!

Excellent!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

screw 'em!
    Naval Gunfire Support:The Sound of Freedom

Every year in Paducah,when they have the Battle of Paducah re-enactments in a local park,there is always one group of neighbors where the re-enactments are held that complain about the noise."Too noisy,too many cars parking nearby,it's racist because no black Civil War era troops are involved,et cetera,et cetera,et cetera".
    The rest of the year,you never hear them griping about the "music" being played at animal neutering decibels from vehicles traveling through that neighborhood or sitting in driveways in that neighborhood.
    I guess it's just what someone perceives as "noise" that matters.
    When he got his Chief's hat,in order to learn naval traditions and leadership skills,my brother in law had to serve aboard USS Constitution and was lucky enough to be aboard while she had her underway period.
    Nobody complained about the noise then and they fired the guns off in salute.
    The beds and breakfasts should post signage in their rooms about the salutes and when they will be fired to avoid shocked customers.
    Last edited by doughesson; 11-13-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Thread Information