Thread: forum standards

Forum Member

Default forum standards

I'm a fairly new person here and am I wrong in observing that personal attacks are allowed under the forum guidelines? Most every other discussion board I'm on, especially those connected with for-profit businesses are pretty aggressive in suppressing such things when they break out but they seem to be the norm here.

Just want to know what I'm getting into.

Early Adopter

I'd leave now if I were you. If you have to start a thread to ask this question, you aren't going to enjoy this place -- rules or no rules. These forums are just like a real firehouse. You can't have thin skin and you have to be willing to put up with folks who run their mouth more than their minds.

Forum Member

This forum has little to no active oversight, never has. Problems are dealt with when the administrators visit the forum quarterly. Bottom line, it has always been that way here and there is no change on the horizon. So live with it or leave basically.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    This forum has little to no active oversight, never has. Problems are dealt with when the administrators visit the forum quarterly. Bottom line, it has always been that way here and there is no change on the horizon. So live with it or leave basically.
    Or stay and complain about it, and ignore any improvements.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Oh, I can take it. Just wanted to confirm that I could fight back if that were to happen without getting kicked out of the forum. Though quite frankly I'm here for something more interesting than the 5th grade insults some seem to prefer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Or stay and complain about it, and ignore any improvements.
    I only talk about it when in a topic that is directly related to it. I think that is the way it is supposed to work. And so far, I see no improvements to anything so I'm not ignoring anything.

Quote Originally Posted by auxman View Post
    Oh, I can take it. Just wanted to confirm that I could fight back if that were to happen without getting kicked out of the forum. Though quite frankly I'm here for something more interesting than the 5th grade insults some seem to prefer.
    Don't count on nothing happening or not getting kicked out. A lack of enforcement of rules doesn't mean the rules don't exist. The rules exist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personal attacks are against the rules and name calling is looked down on by the web team. That being said, it only becomes a problem when some wussy gets his little bitty feelings hurt and rats out the other guy to the web team. So you have to make a decision, can you suck it up and move on or just be a rat.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Interesting. I've never been on a forum where the mods/admins are so lax that they just wait for complaints to roll in. Especially on forums owned by companies -- they usually are so worried about getting sued for various reasons that their mods seem to suspend people for personal attacks before they've even hit the submit button.

Forum Member

Well this forum has no moderators or administrators. Just a mystical user named "webteam" that once in a while stops in to tell us a bunch of stuff they won't follow through with. They do sometimes monitor the reported posts / complaint box. But as far as actively overseeing the operation of the forum, they do not, have not, and likely never will despite claims of "change coming".

Banned

I'm a fairly new person here and am I wrong in observing that personal attacks are allowed under the forum guidelines? Most every other discussion board I'm on, especially those connected with for-profit businesses are pretty aggressive in suppressing such things when they break out but they seem to be the norm here.

Just want to know what I'm getting into.
    Personal attacks are against the acceptable use policy, however it is selectively enforced. The bullies will use it to get someone banned who doesn't agree with their views. That said I get personal attacks all the time. I consider the sources and realize they are too stupid to know nay better. These are the tactics of high school kids and I realize that some adults never get past the high school stage of life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Personal attacks are against the acceptable use policy, however it is selectively enforced. The bullies will use it to get someone banned who doesn't agree with their views. That said I get personal attacks all the time. I consider the sources and realize they are too stupid to know nay better. These are the tactics of high school kids and I realize that some adults never get past the high school stage of life.
    A personal attack in the thread complaining about personal attack, go figure
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Sorta like the firefighter that complains about the free food.

Back In Black

Waaaahhhh.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I like the way the web team "runs" the forums. In a world of over bearing PC bullsh t, its nice to be able to express yourself without to much worry about being censored. As long as the level of personal attacks is not to over the top and undeserved, I don't have a problem with them. If you will just use a pinch of common sense the world is a whole lot easier place to live.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

makes good girls go bad

AND a typo from Mr Perfect.
    Whats wrong BeerBoy?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

STFU and get in the sink.

Forum Member

Auxman... This from someone who has been banned numerous times...
    his former screen names were CDevoe, Beergod, HotTrotter and now he uses "Scarecrow57"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Auxman... This from someone who has been banned numerous times...
    his former screen names were CDevoe, Beergod, HotTrotter and now he uses "Scarecrow57"
    Can we pick his next name?

Forum Member

Hopefully, the next time he gets the boot, the Webteam will recognize that it is him and keep him out.

We can dream, can't we?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Hopefully, the next time he gets the boot, the Webteam will recognize that it is him and keep him out.

We can dream, can't we?
    I brought that up with a previous incident a year or two ago (maybe longer). A member was banned for a multitude of reasons. He re-registered with a new name literally one day later. The WT was advised of this by myself and many other people. The WT's response, after several weeks, was that they don't care.

So in the words of the Governator, he'll be back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I brought that up with a previous incident a year or two ago (maybe longer). A member was banned for a multitude of reasons. He re-registered with a new name literally one day later. The WT was advised of this by myself and many other people. The WT's response, after several weeks, was that they don't care.

So in the words of the Governator, he'll be back.
    Kinda like herpes!

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

You sound like a poopyhead.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    You sound like a poopyhead.
    Now Johnny, play nice or you might make him cry.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information