MembersZone Subscriber

Default Primary eye protection?

What does your department use as primary eye protection for the times you're not wearing your SCBA mask?

Currently we only have face shields and leave it to our membership to provide their own primary protection. Most carry safety glasses in their bunker pockets... leading to horribly scratched lenses that are very hard to see out of.

I am trying to propose to our Logistics Captain that we should stop ordering helmets with face shields and instead go with ESS goggles.

We did have an incident about a year ago during vehicle extrication training where a member got glass shards in their eye from improperly worn eye protection (face shield only).

Forum Member

Just keep your safety glasses in a soft or hard case made for sunglasses. Cheap, and it works...no scratches.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're issued the ESS Goggles that mount on the helmet. We're also issued a cheapie pair of safety glasses (mainly used for mowing, etc).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Just keep your safety glasses in a soft or hard case made for sunglasses. Cheap, and it works...no scratches.
    An athletic sock turned inside out, then double back on itself (depending on how long it is) works pretty good too.

Forum Member

ESS goggles on helmets. I believe your department might want to re-think "leaving primary eye protection up to its members. OSHA might not agree with that stupid line of thinking.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    ESS goggles on helmets. I believe your department might want to re-think "leaving primary eye protection up to its members. OSHA might not agree with that stupid line of thinking.
    Which is why I'm pushing for an better eye protection solution... I didn't come asking for opinions just for fun.

Forum Member

Not if the members are wearing their choice of OSHA approved eye protection.

Allowing them to not wear any eye protection is a "stupid line of thinking", allowing them to wear their choice of approved styles of eye protection isn't.

Forum Member

"So the department saying you don't need it but you can wear your own if you want" is fine?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think I ever said that's what we say... we say you need it, we just don't provide it. We also don't provide wildland boots, or wildland gloves but absolutely require all members to be equipped with them.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

Goggles.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We use safety glasses in addition to face shields and they are provided by the department. The glasses are relatively inexpensive and if damaged, they can be easily replaced. I am not a big fan of the goggles. They are cumbersome, fit poorly, fog up easily, and a lot of times people forget to use them. Issuing a standard pair safety glasses and treat it like any other issued equipment and require the member to take care of it seems to work for us.
    Last edited by FFEMT2159; 11-08-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Forum Member

So they admit it is necessary. They admit it is required. But they purposely neglect to provide it. And this makes sense to you?

MembersZone Subscriber

The department issues goggles. We have bourkes on our helmets and most guys carry safety glasses too.

Rule is goggles or safety glasses.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We use the defender shield that comes down out of the helmet, similar to bourkes I guess. But I will still be carrying my ESS goggles. I wanted my helmet to have the regular 4" shield but got shot down. My opinion is that with the 4" shield you can still use it with the SCBA mask, with the defender shield it would be impossible to combo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    I don't think I ever said that's what we say... we say you need it, we just don't provide it. We also don't provide wildland boots, or wildland gloves but absolutely require all members to be equipped with them.
    How can you require something for your people, but not provide it for them? Everywhere I have worked both fireservice and in the public has been if they require something they pay for it.

How do the goggles work wirh someone that where eye glasses? Every pair of goggles I have tried on has not work with my glasses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    How can you require something for your people, but not provide it for them? Everywhere I have worked both fireservice and in the public has been if they require something they pay for it.
    We have a few department that require certain equipment. They don't "provide" it (as in handing out a pair of glasses to every member), but they provide a uniform allowance each year. Members can buy whatever "required" equipment they need with it. The money is on top of their regular paycheck, and is to be used to remain compliant with your required supplies.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

So they admit it is necessary. They admit it is required. But they purposely neglect to provide it. And this makes sense to you?
    Maybe you could listen again? It's not right. That's why I'm here asking for opinions on primary eye protection. I want to get everyone equipped with the safest option. I'm pushing for goggles.

Does THIS make sense to you yet or should I keep saying it?

MembersZone Subscriber

How do the goggles work wirh someone that where eye glasses? Every pair of goggles I have tried on has not work with my glasses.
    It's just always been on the member to provide it... nobody has ever balked but I'm sure if someone claimed a hardship the department would work with them.

I'm not saying it's right.

The ESS goggles claim to be compatible with glasses and also there is an available eyeglass kit.

Forum Member

"So the department saying you don't need it but you can wear your own if you want" is fine?
    Not sure if this was directed at my last comment, but sort assume so since it directly followed it.

To answer the question you posed, No it wouldn't be fine and I certainly didn't say anything of the sorts. Since you appear to have misunderstood what I said, let's try this again. Using your words, it would be "stupid" to allow your members to not wear any eye protection. However, allowing them to choose what type of approved eye protection they will wear is not "stupid".

MembersZone Subscriber

We purchased helmets with the defender shields a couple of years ago. As shields on the helmet go they are great. They are close enough to your face to provide protection, but store up in the helmet to keep from getting scratched up and damaged. We have had helmets get pretty burned up and the shield was still good. I also keep a pair of safety glasses in my pocket just in case.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    We have a few department that require certain equipment. They don't "provide" it (as in handing out a pair of glasses to every member), but they provide a uniform allowance each year. Members can buy whatever "required" equipment they need with it. The money is on top of their regular paycheck, and is to be used to remain compliant with your required supplies.
    I know that if our department requires a certain item then they provide it. We also get an uniform allowance that allows us to buy our uniforms and have some left over for some other items that we would like to carry. (flashlights, small handtools, ect.)

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that if our department requires a certain item then they provide it. We also get an uniform allowance that allows us to buy our uniforms and have some left over for some other items that we would like to carry. (flashlights, small handtools, ect.)
    We're a fairly small volunteer department. No allowance for anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    We're a fairly small volunteer department. No allowance for anything.
    I understand where your coming from then.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well............

When I worked for our State Forestry Department, I needed a Drivers License, but they didn't pay for it.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    When I worked for our State Forestry Department, I needed a Drivers License, but they didn't pay for it.............
    You needed a DL to drive a wagon????

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information