MembersZone Subscriber

Default Compartment organization

This is something our department has struggled with for a LONG time. It seems things just get thrown in compartments (sometimes secured, often not). This makes it VERY difficult to find things in a hurry or do inventory at our monthly sessions.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for getting things organized and keeping them that way? Any pictures of your compartment organization?

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Some ideas are:

#1 Make sure you have plenty adjustable shelving and slide-out trays.

#2 Put your kits, cribbing and small tools in poly boxes so that you do not have odd size bags and boxes wasting space.

#3 Mount long tools on tool boards.

#4 Use brackets to secure equipment.

#5 Label where every piece of equipment goes in each compartment.

What kind of vehicles are you talking about?

Try posting some pictures of your existing compartments.

Hope to be some help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply!

I'm talking about all of our engines (no trucks) 10 total, 2 light rescues, 2 wildland, 3 tenders, 3 engines.

I think the worst is our wildland engines, a lot of little stuff (extra gloves, foam packets, MREs, fusees, etc.)

But on our 3 engines, things like cribbing, salvage covers, wheel chocks, etc.)

I'll try to get some photos next time I'm at one of the stations.

Forum Member

For the wildland I'd try putting the stuff that you need in the field (or forest) in bags, all the other stuff on the rigs in boxes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm talking about all of our engines (no trucks) 10 total, 2 light rescues, 2 wildland, 3 tenders, 3 engines.

I think the worst is our wildland engines, a lot of little stuff (extra gloves, foam packets, MREs, fusees, etc.)

But on our 3 engines, things like cribbing, salvage covers, wheel chocks, etc.)

I'll try to get some photos next time I'm at one of the stations.
    I resurrected a very old thread, "We're done, Whew, Toyne wins," and brought it back. The last page or two has pictures of the compartments in our 2007 Toyne/Spartan. There are also lots of other threads where other folks have very nicely done compartments. You'd have to root around in here to find them, but they're here. Good hunting!

Forum Member

They are also in a issue of FireRescue magazine (I can't remember which one).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I resurrected a very old thread, "We're done, Whew, Toyne wins," and brought it back. The last page or two has pictures of the compartments in our 2007 Toyne/Spartan. There are also lots of other threads where other folks have very nicely done compartments. You'd have to root around in here to find them, but they're here. Good hunting!
    Thank you! I'll look around for it.

A loooong time ago I saw a website for a department that had a virtual compartment tour of their engine... I just can't seem to find it again.

Forum Member

I've seen a some websites with compartment pictures. I can send you some if you like.

MembersZone Subscriber

That would be great, or just post them here... that way anyone else searching will see them too!

MembersZone Subscriber

Those are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

Forum Member

A couple pics of our new rigs compartments.

FM1
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

our new truck just came back fro mhaving all the tools mounted. One thing we did was have the mfg. install specific shelves and roll outs in specific compartments for specific equipment..maily the big stuff like Fans, salvage masters and so on. THe rest of the equipment was sent to the dealer, we then went out and spent the day placing and fitting equipment, and not jsut to get it all on, but to get it all so that it made sense. I'll post pictures in a little bit.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Default Tool Boxes

Does anybody use the permenant mounted toolboxes with drawers that look like a mechanics tool chest on their apparatus. I've found a company called Respond Ready. Is anyone using any other brands. Thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ENG103 View Post
    Does anybody use the permenant mounted toolboxes with drawers that look like a mechanics tool chest on their apparatus. I've found a company called Respond Ready. Is anyone using any other brands. Thoughts?
    These type of boxes look nice on the apparatus and keep all your tools neat and orderly on the truck itself. Unfortunately where you need to use the tools is often a distance from the actual placement of the vehicle. Mechanic's tool chests have castors on them for a reason and this is so they can be located next to the primary work area. That works fine in a repair shop but just doesn't work out well at an incident scene. I would much rather have the tools in "portable boxes" that can be carried to where I need to work with them. These tools can be well organized and set up for specific job functions. Label each of the boxes on the sides and ends so they can be readily identified on the apparatus. Another tip is to avoid the plastic blowmold bifold cases that some tools are now sold in. These can be a real nightmare when you open them up and tools fall out everywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    These type of boxes look nice on the apparatus and keep all your tools neat and orderly on the truck itself. Unfortunately where you need to use the tools is often a distance from the actual placement of the vehicle. Mechanic's tool chests have castors on them for a reason and this is so they can be located next to the primary work area. That works fine in a repair shop but just doesn't work out well at an incident scene. I would much rather have the tools in "portable boxes" that can be carried to where I need to work with them. These tools can be well organized and set up for specific job functions. Label each of the boxes on the sides and ends so they can be readily identified on the apparatus. Another tip is to avoid the plastic blowmold bifold cases that some tools are now sold in. These can be a real nightmare when you open them up and tools fall out everywhere.
    Good point EJ...this is where the Respond Ready comes in nice. If you pull the Respond Ready drawer sets all the way out all you have to do is lift up on them and you can pull the drawer sets right out of the tracks and take the individual drawers mobile. In my opinion, the Respond Ready makes a lot of sense. Sure, it's more expensive than a Craftsman but I think it will hold up more. When you factor in the amount of money you would spend on tool boards, shelves, mounting brackets, etc, the Respond Ready box makes complete sense and you can get more equipment into a smaller area.

Additionally, they are all custom built so you can get them to fit into a specific compartment.

We don't have one yet, but this is on our list of purchases after the first of the year.
    Last edited by LT2410; 11-20-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Forum Member

will try and get some pics tomorrow ............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

well here she is ............barely 4 months old.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

some more:
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

couple more .....
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

we had a committee. We had a pretty good idea of where we were going to put things before build. I felt it turned out pretty good. All mounting was done in house. Even used a piece of wood from an older rig for the slide out tool board so it (the rig) can live viacariously through the new one. People in town just love the truck and stop and stare when it goes by.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Default Ogl !

and some of the cab interior.
    Last edited by Weruj1; 11-30-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ENG103 View Post
    On our engines, we just use portable metal toolboxes. We secure them with breakaway tags so we can tell if they have been opened and need to be re-inventoried.

On our new squad we mounted a 5 drawer toolbox and put a bar through the handles so that we can lock it if we sent it out for work. We have also started making foam cut-outs for the tools so that they stay in place and you can look to see what is missing. Nothing special about the toolbox though. I don't even know what brand it is.

Thread Information