Forum Member

Default City of Boston, MA

Now accepting apps:

http://www.mass.gov/Eoaf/docs/hrd/cs...hterposter.rtf

Looks like theres a $100 fee for both the written and PAT. Test is scheduled for April 24, 2010. App deadline is March 16, 2010.

MembersZone Subscriber

are there any vacancies they want to fill with this list here soon?

MembersZone Subscriber

in the job description it says u have to be a resident but it says all residents will be put higher on the list than non residents...so is there or isn't there a residency requirement??? and also is the list going to be ranked by the written scores?

Forum Member

You wouldn't get hired if you are not claiming residency in the city you are applying for. It's not worth the $100 if you don't hang your hat there, they will hire all the locals and vets before even thinking about looking at the non-resident civilians.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish2522 View Post
    You wouldn't get hired if you are not claiming residency in the city you are applying for. It's not worth the $100 if you don't hang your hat there, they will hire all the locals and vets before even thinking about looking at the non-resident civilians.
    I was told the same thing by members of the BFD. It basically goes Family members, Vets, then locals, THEN, non residents.

Forum Member

Hey all, I'm a Volunteer from Long Island, New York-and a Veteran-what are your opinions on mytaking the test? Being a vet might give me a chance no?

Forum Member

I'm a vet and a volley, been waiting on the list for nearly a year and a half and no where near the top. If you want Boston or any of the cities in Mass then you really have to live there to get hired. You could get your EMT / EMT-P and might be able to skip up the list in the towns that run EMS calls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyproby View Post
    Hey all, I'm a Volunteer from Long Island, New York-and a Veteran-what are your opinions on mytaking the test? Being a vet might give me a chance no?
    Being a vet will most definatley give you a better chance then many people, but it is by no means a sure thing. The biggest issue for you will be where you live. The problem is their is really no shortage of people who want to be career firefighters. It's not like only a few people apply. It's very competitive. So your only hope is finding ways to make your way to the top of the list. The easiest ways are Veteran Status, High test scores, Residency and family in the department. The more of the those 4 things you have the better.

Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken the last BFD Academy class was 100% veterans.

If you aren't one, I wouldn't even bother applying. Even a vet that doesn't score higher than you on the test will get the job before you do. And its not like there's a shortage of them- even the waiting list will be stocked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mass. FF Candidate: Exam Is Pricey

Story by thebostonchannel.com

-

Posted: Thu, 11/12/2009 - 01:15
    Updated: Thu, 11/12/2009 - 03:54

BOSTON --

A Boston firefighter candidate is speaking out about about the high fees charged to take the state's civil service exam when so few towns are hiring.

Jason Murray wants to be a Boston firefighter.

He said he paid a hefty fee to take the firefighter test last year and got a near-perfect score, but didn't get a job.

So, he has to take the test again, to the tune of another $200.

The state responded by saying that taking the civil service exam is not a guarantee of employment, and if an applicant took the test and was not hired, they must retake the test if they would like to continue to be considered.

Murray believes the fee should be waived for subsequent tests.

Copyright 2009 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thread Information