Forum Member

Default wildland fire job?

Hello everyone. I am new to this website and I am looking for some advice. I am 29 and looking for a career change, I want to be a wildland firefighter. I have no experience, but I am currently taking I-100, S-190/S-130 online and I have been in contact with my local USDA forest service fire managers office (Georgia). I am just curious if it is even possible for me to get on a crew this summer? What are my chances? I will move anywhere and work any job to get my foot in the door. Does anyone have any tips to improve my chances of getting hired? Alot of the job postings on USAjobs do not require any experience, but Im sure it hepls.

I have alot of construction experience which may show my ability to work with tools and work in a physically strenuous environment. I also just recently finished through hiking the Appalachian Trail (took me 6 months to finish), and I have a bachelors degree(business admin). Anyways, sorry for rambling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

High if your willing to move to where there is fire. The west hires a crap load of wildland folks every year. Cali is a good place to find work as well!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Second thought I finished reading your post. I should have read it to it's full extent the first time. PM me. See what I can do to help you out.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Your on the right track. Having your s-130/190 helps your odds alot. Don't sell yourself short by only applying to the Forest Service, also apply to BLM, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, and National Park Service. They all are fairly similar in most regards and thats alot more positions to apply for. You will need to hurry for BLM, USFWS, and NPS, as some of the applications are looked over in Jan. and thats the end of that. Those are all on www.usajobs.com.
    Now the Forest Service is a somewhat different beast as far as hiring. They hire off of AVUE which is avuedigitalservices.com. You have to sign up in avue and then do your application process. When you do that you have to select locations that you want to work at. The catch is you can only apply to nine. So here is the secret, make phone calls. Call anyplace you want to work and ask to speak to someone in fire, preferably a captain. Tell them what you are doing(s-classes) to show that you would be the right fit for that 'resource'(engine, handcrew, etc). Then call him/her back a few weeks later and talk to him again, and make sure he knows that you are serious and willing to work.
    Why is this important?
    Cause with avue, it just spits out a list of names of people that applied to that location. the list could be 6 people long it could be 500 people long. If the captain is looking through the list he might just recognize your name if you have talked to him multiple times and take a second look at your name and maybe get hired.
    If you want anymore advice feel free to PM. Also rove the web there are a few good websites that have information on getting hired for wildlandfirefighting.

Thread Information