Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Academy:OCFA

I was just curious if this show was worth watching? Does it approximate the true Academy experience or is it typical reality TV. If it is not good I do not want to waste my time. Thanks.

Forum Member

Talking

I think this is a great show. It shows the day to day workings of a world class fire academy. That is definately the real deal out there. Puts some academies around me to shame. I think it is a worthwhile show to watch. They put the normal suspence in it to find out what happens after the commercial break and on the next episode. I did not know orange county fire authority was that large.
    Another good show to watch is "First In". It is on BET channel. It follows the Compton Fire Department in California. No hollywood to it. Shows station life, fires, medicals. They have main people that they follow around. Seems like a very disaplined, well trained, and organized fire department. I always thought compton was a piece of crap city, but there are actually some nicer areas. All the stations and apparatus look top notch and new. Check it out.

Forum Member

Their has been a few threads on it.

I watched one episode and could not even make it all the way through. Not because of OCFA itself, just the production on the show. It just came off as very fake. People being overdramatic i am sure because producers are asking them to be. And they are trying too hard to be politically correct. The female instructor and cadets with issues from all races. If none of that is scripted and overexagerated, i would be amazed. Like i said, halfway through i got fed up with it and turned it off. Ill try and watch another epsiode, but as far as my first expierience with the show, i was not impressed. None of it seemed real. Even if it all was!

And all bias aside and i am only making this observation because the show highlighted them so much, but my god that helmet style is HORRIBLE. I am sure it is a great design as far as function and i am not knocking that in any way, but appearence wise all i can think of is how ridiculously lame those helmets look. And being yellow only makes them worse. Again, just my opinion based on looks alone. Some people like Chevys, some people like Fords, i like traditional style helmets and cannot stand the modern style. No disrespect to those who like them, just my opinion. My personal taste.

Forum Member

Last edited by Deluge059; 08-10-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Forum Member

OCFA is one of largest and most reputable departments in the country. They have not become the organization that they are today by running a substandard department as you suggest. Your sort of comment is not only disrespectful to your fellow firefighters but also displays a gross level of ignorance regarding academy operations as well as television production.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbinnell View Post
    They have not become the organization that they are today by running a substandard department as you suggest. .
    Who said anything about the department itself? The comments were about the academy, or more appropriately how it was presented by the TV show. I did not interpret what anybody was saying in here as having an issue with the department itself. The issue lies with the academy as it's shown on TV. As it seems, many people here, myself included were not impressed with what we saw. But i for one think it's the producers overdoing things.

Quote Originally Posted by sbinnell View Post
    Your sort of comment is not only disrespectful to your fellow firefighters but also displays a gross level of ignorance regarding academy operations as well as television production.
    That statement does not even make sense. For one, not liking a TV show about a department should not be seen as disrespectful to other firefighters. It's simply an opinion about a TV show. My issue is with the shows production. Not with the people on the show.

As for displaying a "gross level of ignorance regarding academy operations". What do you expect? unless you have attended that academy or were well versed in their day to day operations, then of course most of us will not know much about how things work there. What i do know about OCFA is what i see on a poorly produce TV show about it. If i still don't know much about that academy, cleary the show is not doing a good job of representing it.

As far as ignorance about TV production? Yeah, guilty here. This is after all a firefighters forum, not a TV show forum. As a TV watcher, i know enough about reality TV to know when i am seeing a show that comes off as very scripted, exaggerated and fake. If a show touted as a "reality show" about what myself and others on here do for a living is (in my opinion) unwatchable, then the producers and "actors" are not doing a very good job.

Since we are apparently disrespectful and ignorant about OCFA and TV production as a whole, why not fill us in with your wealth of knowledge on all this?

For your first post on the forum, you sure are coming off a bit mouthy.

Judging by his username, I see this thread taking off quickly...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

I guess there cold be good and bad.

Good- As mentioned prior, they are an awesome department.

Bad- Drop in some cameras, production team and mix in a little drama and I am sure things will be different than the standard academy.

And as for the poster that didn't like the helmets, they are actually pretty comfortable and functional.

Forum Member

I was just surprised that one guy didn't get kicked out for cheating. I mean with all the talk of a FF must be of high moral character seems to contradict all that.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down And.............

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Its entertaining, but if that is how they run their academy, those guys have no discipline. The cadre just barley raises his voice when they do wrong and there is no punishment.
    I saw one episode where he yelled "IM ****ED OFF" and made them turn their shirts inside out.
    How soft, OCFA.

In my training, even the slightest of things had us out on the blacktop doing all sorts of PT in the hot Florida sun. We had attention to detail, and we knew if we didn't, we would be doing hundreds of pushups to learn it.

I dont know how things work over there, but it seems like a very lenient training regimen, and the recruits, many of whom under their names say they were FF somewhere else, are all retarded.

And don't get me started on their SCBA pocket and Helmets!

There was an Academy here on the East Coast like yours. They Killed a Kid. Now they are not like yours. The QUALITY of FIRE and EMS Training has not dropped one bit, the Graduates of that Academy are quality People that do an outstanding job. If you want someone to be a Firefighter, You teach them Firefighting, If you want them to be Soldiers, (NO Disrespect Intended!!!) you teach all the Pushups and Marching you want.........

And - Spellcheck is your friend.

The other thread on this subject is now a page or two off the front page, you can find it by scrolling down while looking for the Lock symbol.......

I Typed this response Slowly, As there seems to be a Slow Reader among us...........
    Last edited by hwoods; 12-14-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Add a few more insults........ I mean Items.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    And as for the poster that didn't like the helmets, they are actually pretty comfortable and functional.
    I do not doubt that they are comfortable and more then likley, they are more functional then traditional helmets. They may even be safer. I simply hate how they look. It's like someone preffering blondes over redheads. It's personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    It's like someone preffering blondes over redheads. It's personal taste.
    There are people who prefer redheads?

Now, i'm going to run away from Bull!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    There are people who prefer redheads?

Now, i'm going to run away from Bull!
    I have one at home.... love the redheads.

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I do not doubt that they are comfortable and more then likley, they are more functional then traditional helmets. They may even be safer. I simply hate how they look. It's like someone preffering blondes over redheads. It's personal taste.
    I understand and thank you for being professional about it. That design has been around over 22+ years and been working pretty well. Its just a matter of some people never seeing it before.

Default Cameras

After watching the show a few times I feel like, there are some things I liked and some thing I didn't.
    As far as how they do things, like dragging hose, how they hold it, or some of the other things, who really cares as long as it works for them. The only thing I saw that made me wonder was when the Captain in the burn building told Westphal(?) to leave and he did run like a bat out of hell but the Captain told the Senior Captain (?) that he just bailed on his partner. I agree he should of waited for his partner but I thought the Captain left out the fact that he told the guy to leave. The guy didn't just run out without being told, but it could of been there but the producers omitted it to make it look more dramatic.
    "Oorah" type of academies are not for me as I experienced it once on Parris Island, which was more than enough for my liking but I think some times it is appropriate. You don't want to be a paper tiger.
    When I went through Drill School the officers were old-school firemen who only cared to show you what they thought was needed. Maybe fine then but I realize the amount of knowledge new members need now is vastly more, especially with the lack of work today.
    That PT (cross-fit ?) looks great and I know of numerous guys who are now doing it on their own.
    After seeing what some of our members did and how they acted when cameras were around (Firehouse USA) in one of our houses I realize people can lose their common sense when they have an audience. I and many other were so happy when the show was cancelled without showing all the episodes. Also editing can make some things seem one way when the reality is/was it happened differently but some producer wanted it another. This is America and we love turmoil.
    As for the helmets, I tried one on once at Station 10 (LA) it fit well, felt like I was wearing a baseball hat and I have to admit my neck liked it. I still prefer a leather but if my job ever tested a black one (some things die hard) I would be willing to test it for a while and give honest feedback.

Thread Information